HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08)

... reproduce small details, and the TC9 already has a significant deficit in this respect.

I dont think Dave is in the wrong to make such a claim, so people - please relax.

I can image a few aspects of the TC9 to be inferiour to a higher priced, larger diameter, intended-to-be fullrange driver with every aspect of it tweaked to suit a personal preference. The TC9 is a mass produced "10 buck driver" intedended for TV´s :wave2: Low sensitivity and a plastic basket...

Each person who have sat down in front of my mk1´s have had a single, uniform immideate response and that is a simple "wooow...what?".
Casual friends and hifi enthusiasts that dropped by for a listen.

But in the end, it puts a big smile on my face, that is what matters - to me :D
Maybe I´ll choose a better driver next time - if that ever happens :D

Last edited:
I wouldn't underestimate the Scan Speak design department that quickly. Pricing has nothing to do with it. DDR is a nice excuse, but can't make up for mediocre measurements. We can measure a lot more that a lot of people asume. As long as you keep an eye on what's really happening.
That doesn't mean that tastes do not differ. To each his own. I guess we're lucky the other half-dozen local listeners are less vocal about their preference than Dave is.

I'd never be satisfied with just a driver even in a well designed box. No matter what solution I'd pick or which drivers I'd use. After learning a lot over the last decade or so playing with DSP, that would always be one of the ingredients.
Not forgetting to put the room first on the list of things to improve.

Of all the similar sized drivers out there, I would only go with the brother/sister driver, the TG9 8 ohm.
The 10F would be nice to try, even if distortion is higher down low than the TC9. Above 300 Hz though it's looking way better objectively. Despite it's heavier cone. That neodymium motor is crazy.
Another option I really like is the small SB65WBAC25-4 but that too requires different solutions for bass. That's it, believe me I've looked long and hard.

I dont think Dave is in the wrong to make such a claim, so people - please relax.

I can image a few aspects of the TC9 to be inferiour to a higher priced, larger diameter, intended-to-be fullrange driver with every aspect of it tweaked to suit a personal preference. The TC9 is a mass produced "10 buck driver" intedended for TV´s :wave2: Low sensitivity and a plastic basket...

Each person who have sat down in front of my mk1´s have had a single, uniform immideate response and that is a simple "wooow...what?".
Casual friends and hifi enthusiasts that dropped by for a listen.

But in the end, it puts a big smile on my face, that is what matters - to me :D
Maybe I´ll choose a better driver next time - if that ever happens :D

Why would you give a sh#*&# about what other people like... as long as your stuff makes a big grin on your face and you enjoy every moment... I think that’s the core of what we are after :p

The Fountek FE85 looks incredibly similar to the drivers used in the Adyton Silver Signature speakers, in this application it works really well... the drivers look so similar that I certainly believe it must be at least Fountek branded, these drivers go completely unfiltered and performs incredibly well.

I think certainly these drivers could be interesting for a line-source design too :p
I thought about these myself .......

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So, a half-dozen people heard the same speaker in a crummy makeshift box and thought the same thing as you?

It was not a crummy box, or makeshift.

But I think, by now, a lot more than a half-dozen told you otherwise...

Why i bought them in the 1st place. And most time i share my experiences i do say that many people like them. The net of that is that if you get some your take on them is not guaranteed.

People who used some well-thought out designs.

I have sure seen these in a whole lot of enclosures that were clearly no designed. ie almost anything with a hole in the box (due to the high Q).

But since you don't believe in data, it's irrelevant, right?

I'm sure you have some dots to paint for some gullible customer.

You can think whatever you want, but my clients have been quite happy, and there have been many coming back for one or more sets of drivers.

I also give anyone local the opportunity to see what they think of the spots (a set of otherwise identical speakers with the same sensitivity). I say to people that if you can’t hear the difference don’t spend the money.

Have you ever really heard an EnABLed speaker? If you haven’t you have no basis for comment. Quit being a troll.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The TC9 is a mass produced "10 buck driver" intedended for TV´s :wave2: Low sensitivity and a plastic basket…[/quote

Pretty much as i have descibed it a number of times. Nothing wrong with a good plastic basket.

The very simialr TG9 is, IMO, a much better driver so one does not have to spend a whole lot more money to step up (at least if you aren’t buying 60 of them)

But in the end, it puts a big smile on my face

In the end it is all that matters.

dave

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Even SB Acoustics :: 3” SB10PGC21-4 ?

//

I wouldn't underestimate the Scan Speak design department that quickly. Pricing has nothing to do with it. DDR is a nice excuse, but can't make up for mediocre measurements. We can measure a lot more that a lot of people asume. As long as you keep an eye on what's really happening.
That doesn't mean that tastes do not differ. To each his own. I guess we're lucky the other half-dozen local listeners are less vocal about their preference than Dave is.

I'd never be satisfied with just a driver even in a well designed box. No matter what solution I'd pick or which drivers I'd use. After learning a lot over the last decade or so playing with DSP, that would always be one of the ingredients.
Not forgetting to put the room first on the list of things to improve.

Of all the similar sized drivers out there, I would only go with the brother/sister driver, the TG9 8 ohm.
The 10F would be nice to try, even if distortion is higher down low than the TC9. Above 300 Hz though it's looking way better objectively. Despite it's heavier cone. That neodymium motor is crazy.
Another option I really like is the small SB65WBAC25-4 but that too requires different solutions for bass. That's it, believe me I've looked long and hard.

This one has some potential in LAs too? 15-17$/piece in large quantity

Tectonic TEBM46C20N-4B BMR 3" Full-Range Speaker 4 Ohm
Tectonic TEBM46C20N-4B | HiFiCompass

tebm46c20n-4b_offaxis.png

tebm46c20n-4b_315mm_2v83_hpf2-100.png

The Fountek FE85
I think certainly these drivers could be interesting for a line-source design too :p
I thought about these myself .......

These look very promising indeed. Very flat FR up to 20khz (but no natural HF rise to counter the line HF-attenuation, but that is EQ'able)

Back when I purchased my TC9's I got them for $7 a piece (+shiping and VAT), at around 7,50NOK to the dollar. The rate today is 9,2NOK/USD.
TG9's were $22-24 per driver back then, and the 8ohm version hard to get.
So it just wasnt in the cards back then :xmastree:

The TG9 has gone down since then, and the 8ohm version seem to be available aswell - so if my slate was clean and I was about to start from scratch, the TG9/8ohm would be my choice overall.

25x Tx9 = 210cm tall, Sd(tot) = 907sq.cm
25x FE85 = 226cm tall, Sd(tot) = 675sq.cm

But that midrange FR is to die for, if it holds true.

And that peak is easy to handle, with either a small notch, a bit less toe-in, or even cross to a tweeter way up high.

Been trying to get a pair over here for some time. Distributor says they're coming... And I'm waiting....

Interesting... Not expensive at $15 (when you buy 10+)
SB Acoustics SB10PGC21-4 3" Full Range

We tried both TG, TC and SB65WBAC25-4 in different arrays.
All of them can contribute to a very decent system as HalAir, Wesayso and Russel (IDS-25) demonstrates for us.
For me, the SB65 is an undoubtedly winner on voices, bot none of them do shine and sparkle in the heights as a proper tweeter does. (Yes we have DSP etc.).
The best one we experienced so far is the FR89EX (Google for "Bendit HLS"), but not to an appealing price level comapred to the above mentioned drivers.
This summer I visited an old friend of mine. He had just built an OB-tower from BG-8 and BG-3 together with a woofer tower. Irritating interesting....
Why the hell.... when shall we stop building?

Last edited: