HF1440 New Ring Compression Driver from Faital Pro.

Nothing else under its price range with similar output capabilities is as smooth. It's a good alternative to 3" beryllium and seems better behaved on paper than the Eminence textreme.

That's the price to pay for diyers unless you can find an "in" somewhere. They'll probably come to a knock off site soon but who knows what you're getting.

In the states, the HF1440 shipped from TLHP (which I have had several good purchasing experiences in a row with ... feel like they deserve a plug), would come to about $320.

PE's retail price does look high, which is a bit surprising given how price competitive they normally are. (Also have had a ton of positive experiences with PE).
fwiw, if it fits, a Commercial PE account can save alot of money.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
the low frequency performance would be very interesting as they claim:

"The HF1440 compression driver was designed to operate at a minimum crossover frequency of 700 Hz, but reaching frequencies so low that it facilitates a perfect matching with a woofer. This makes it possible to use it directly even in a two-way configuration as well as a three-way with a midrange. And it was designed with great attention to detail using FEM simulation so as to withstand the important mechanical excursions related to low frequencies."

but as far as I'm aware other drivers that get that low have issues in the top octave or are £450+, I like multiple entry horns and the design is considerably easier with a compression driver that can get as low as possible.

..other drivers that get that low have issues in the top octave..

True, but what sort of issues? Will they be audible?

My pick for a reasonable 1.4" exit has been (and continues to be) the 18 Sound 1460A ..and it does have modest capability in the top octave.

18 Sound ND1460A 8ohm 80watt NEO HF Compression Driver

ND1460A 18 eighteen SOUND Driver 160W 110dB Alluminio 1,4" - Teleprodotti

In particular, look at the impedance (with regard to correction) and note the condition for Paul's measurements (..as in smoothing):

The Raptor ... a 10" MTM

Joined 2007
Paid Member
ND1460A looks great, it looks more sensitive in the top octave than the HF1440 (above 100dB most of 10Khz - 20 KHz while HF1440 is below that).

Would need to see CSD to see if the smaller jaggies in the top octave on the HF1440 compared to the ND1460A are anything of note, and of course could be related to the horns used more than the driver.

Any thoughts on the radial phase plug VS the traditional 3 slot type?

Hi ScottG,

Is it because the lower Fs and the flat impedance curve ? -vs the HF1440-

I like it better overall for a number of reasons.

1. The impedance curve is flat down to just about its resonance, and it seems to be a bit less sensitive to changes with different horns/waveguides. The fewer components needed to correct impedance, the better.

2. It's a more linear driver overall. (..this will also show-up in a CSD plot).

3. I like the "mass" of the driver and the way it operates in the lower treble better. Tend's to give a more 3D effect.

The Faital Pro however should have less odd-order distortion lower in freq. near its fundamental resonance. It should also have greater clarity.

(..even with the poly surround that the 18 sound driver has, when you get close to resonance with traditional compression drivers the non-linear distortion often goes way up. ..and with integrated metal surrounds that distortion usually starts rising a lot higher in frequency.)

ND1460A looks great, it looks more sensitive in the top octave than the HF1440 (above 100dB most of 10Khz - 20 KHz while HF1440 is below that).

Would need to see CSD to see if the smaller jaggies in the top octave on the HF1440 compared to the ND1460A are anything of note, and of course could be related to the horns used more than the driver.

Any thoughts on the radial phase plug VS the traditional 3 slot type?

Yes, the top-octave is very much dependent on the waveguide/horn profile.

Once a radial phase plug is sufficiently damped (most are hollow), I don't think there is a lot of audible difference.

too bad Faital or 18thSound don't go like B&C with its last bigh horn ME464 1.4" throat (expensive though but these things are on the expensive increase flare)

This makes me think to Zaph saying that the most important attribute of a tweeter unit is its smooth low end, not its last octave if one has to choose ! Liked what Paul W 's thread said about the sound of the 18TH Sound compression : brass sounds like brass while no harchness seen ... Hummm these coated hard dome are performing well :cool:

Just got a pair of HF1440. It's about 20% smaller and 30% lighter than RCF ND950:
attachment.php

Put both on RCF HF950 horn. It's clear what driver the horn was designed for:
attachment.php

Sweep sounds different for sure.

Attachments

• PXL_20210416_174714154 (1).jpg
    PXL_20210416_174714154 (1).jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 1,648
  • faital-rcf.png
    faital-rcf.png
    48 KB · Views: 1,906
Re-configured the system. These driveres definitely play differently. RCF plays harder, Faital is more weightless. I will not undertake to assert which one is more correct.

On Dave Weckl - Higher Ground, the individual drum beats are better separated with the Faital. With RCF, due to their heaviness, they tend to be less separated. Like if the drummer hits harder and correspondingly slower.

Sophie Zelmani - All About You. With Faital guitar strings sound like a nylon. There sound more metallic with RCF and even my phone's speakers.

Sting - Shape of my heart - I can better hear the recording space with Faital.

George Clinton - Maggot brain - Faital has less drive. There seems to be a little more depth. With RCF you are on stage, with Faital you are more like in the fan zone. The drums are more legible with Faital.

In general, the feel of space become better with Faital, but I am missing something with them. Probably, I need to raise some frequency range?

Last edited: