high performance 25W PowerAmp

Q5 and Q7 is not really strange, but a fairly common push-pull stage, a voltage follower, a collector circuit in push-pull.

Since the entire ensemble with Q6 and Q8 also has to work as a level shifter, i.e. there is a DC and AC coupling, the dimensioning of the components (their exact operating values) is not quite trivial, but in the end it is.

I have deliberately dispensed with frequency response compensation of any kind in /at this (working) state.

Without a test circuit, a laboratory setup - I can't go any further. For me, the concept has been theoretically chewed over from beginning to end, now the next step is the test setup - afterwards I'll know exactly what to do, not before!

Does not sim any better

hbt3.jpg

If you add a constant or multiply by a constant a non linear function the result will still be the same non linear
function, wether you drive the power transistors by diamond s buffer or by a classical same polarity EF it s the
output transistor that will set the score, namely its output current is a function of the exponential of its Vbe.

I know that 'wahab', I am also very familiar with this situation and the basic connections. I have said and thus expressed something different to you.
But that is not a reason for dispute or argue ;).

Let's just be happy about the very practical (far away) resistance values of Bernard's design.

HBt.

Dear wahab,
are you resting on your laurels or can I persuade you to make concrete suggestions and values?

As we are in the hobby sector, that would only be fair.

So you said the “Blameless amp from Self” has proper limitations and for example a BC140-16 or BC160-16 would lift the design, as well as the use of BC556 & BC546 (B-types probably) ...

Would you like to explain this?

kindly,
HBt.

Dear wahab,
are you resting on your laurels or can I persuade you to make concrete suggestions and values?

As we are in the hobby sector, that would only be fair.

So you said the “Blameless amp from Self” has proper limitations and for example a BC140-16 or BC160-16 would lift the design, as well as the use of BC556 & BC546 (B-types probably) ...

Would you like to explain this?

kindly,
HBt.

I would think that Bernhard s schematic above is close to a good implementation, only thing is to add an active CCS
for the differential, and see if a VAS driven by an EF is not better than a cascode.

Also for a non cascoded bipolar input differentals BC546A/BC556A are better than the B type because the early effect
is less pronounced for the formers.

BC141/161 are to be prefered to BC639/640 if the voltage allow as they are T039 and more rugged thermaly but
they both are good enough as VAS and even as drivers for the TO39, just imagine that circa 1974 Dual made
the mistake to use 2N2904/2218A as drivers in a low power amp with BC141-10/161-10 in the regulated PSU
while they would have been much better as drivers than the 2N.

I would think that Bernhard s schematic above is close to a good implementation, only thing is to add an active CCS
for the differential, and see if a VAS driven by an EF is not better than a cascode.
Wahab, not to forget that I made this circuit in one day :spin:
There are many things that could be done, but will it ever be built ?

I put an EF in front of the VAS, 3rd harmonic down another 20dB.
From the pure numbers, high power wins a bit, low power loses a bit, but I also reduced cascode zener voltages...

Output power very clean 20 Wrms, "ok" a good 25 Wrms.

hbt7.jpg
hbt6.JPG

Last edited:
Wahab, not to forget that I made this circuit in one day

:spin:
Dear Bernard,
please allow yourself a few more days to reflect on your morphed proposal - I think that is necessary. Because you had better not confront your client with this proposal. Perhaps the first thing you should do is to cut out the red pencil and pay attention to the availability of components. You might also switch back to B operation (we Germans traditionally call it AB). And so on.

There are many things that could be done, but will it ever be built ?
Well, to be honest, your current proposal will definitely not even see a test setup - it will fail in the first team meeting.

I put an EF in front of the VAS, 3rd harmonic down another 20dB.
Well, your dimensioning (and topology) needs it under all circumstances.

From the pure numbers, high power wins a bit, low power loses a bit, but I also reduced cascode zener voltages...
Likewise, of course, that's how it's done, that's the standard.

Output power very clean 20 Wrms, "ok" a good 25 Wrms.

And your suggestion leaves the A mode at the latest at 16Wrms at static 8Ohm loads & 8Wrms at static 4Ohm loads.

Class A, Bias 1A

What trick does your quick suggestion use to keep the quiescent current of 1Amps constant?

#
Please don't take offense, but your fourth star will take a lot of convincing.

kind regards,
HBt.

Also for a non cascoded bipolar input differentals BC546A/BC556A are better than the B type because the early effect
is less pronounced for the formers.
Excuse me wahab,
but the “early” objection no longer works for me - for me it's nothing more than a rhetorical evasion.

Just say that you prefer h22e, i.e. an rce of 55k555 ohms, to 16k666 ohms ...
I have an original, old Siemens data book in front of me.

#
In plain language (no attack),
Your explanations are not enough for me personally. But now the thread is easily drifting into a turbulent and controversial star chef number - and I don't want that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The L.Stellema concept shows strengths in the idea, but weaknesses in the approach and implementation. I try to put myself in the mindset of the author - and to respect the resulting direction, the route. So it can only be a matter of mitigating recognized weaknesses and emphasizing the strengths of the concept or philosophy.

In the next step, only a laboratory set-up will be able to show how far I will get with my initial thoughts and a few simulations.

There is simply no way around it.