How to build a 21st century protection board

Right, so I'm back from holiday and have made a good start on the boards (enough for one channel built). Next task is to get enough of the case built that I can safely run it (I've no desire to loosely connect anything up that is at mains voltage). What surprised me was dealing with SMD components is a lot easier than I expected.

My plan is to build and fully understand only one channel first and get it working, then complete the second channel after that. I'll post some photos once a bit further along..

Right, so I'm back from holiday and have made a good start on the boards (enough for one channel built). Next task is to get enough of the case built that I can safely run it (I've no desire to loosely connect anything up that is at mains voltage). What surprised me was dealing with SMD components is a lot easier than I expected.

My plan is to build and fully understand only one channel first and get it working, then complete the second channel after that. I'll post some photos once a bit further along..

Right, SMD is much easier than most of us expected before we tried it for the first time :)
Keep it up :up:

Very quick question about the MJE340 that is used for temperature detection, is it best mounted direct to the heatsink, or the smaller heat transfer bus bar? I've attached a photo of my amp build so that you get a better idea of what I mean by bus bar.

Attachments

• hb-amp-photo.jpg
    hb-amp-photo.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 359
I've got a new version of control board with an onboard control transformer and onboard relays for a single power supply amplifier. After some silly assembly mistakes it's working perfectly. It uses I2C temperature sensing instead of the MJE340, for actual temperature readings.

The 21st Century protection system is almost ready to become interactive. A proper USB interface and a serial port for Bluetooth/Zigbee/whatever is next.

Attachments

• 2016-07-23 13.50.44.jpg
    2016-07-23 13.50.44.jpg
    800.1 KB · Views: 337
  • 2016-07-23 13.49.32.jpg
    2016-07-23 13.49.32.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 325
Very quick question about the MJE340 that is used for temperature detection, is it best mounted direct to the heatsink, or the smaller heat transfer bus bar? I've attached a photo of my amp build so that you get a better idea of what I mean by bus bar.
Both locations are slow to affect the sensor detection.

Attaching a sot23 transistor to the thick middle lead out of a power Output device is quicker and reaches a temperature closer to Tj inside the device.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I've got a new version of control board with an onboard control transformer and onboard relays for a single power supply amplifier. After some silly assembly mistakes it's working perfectly. It uses I2C temperature sensing instead of the MJE340, for actual temperature readings.

The 21st Century protection system is almost ready to become interactive. A proper USB interface and a serial port for Bluetooth/Zigbee/whatever is next.
Have you checked the pbc traces distance for safety between 230V AC and small signal part?

BR, Toni

You and he should be sensing Tj of the output devices, not Ts

There are different schools of thought as to where to sense temperature. You can get instant temperature sensing of a single device by placing a sensor right on a device, or you can get average sensing of all the devices by placing the sensor right on the heatsink and allowing for thermal resistance. Placing the sensor on the clamping spreader bar is only a good reading in dead still air, so not really useful at all (not really useful for bias sensing either). We aren't really interested in the instantaneous temperature of a single device. the average temperature of the whole output stage is more useful to us. With the parts values listed in the BOM, the amplifier will shut off when the heat sinks reach 65C.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Creepage distance for 240VAC on a coated pc boards is 23 mil. The 12V feed to the relays would be too close on a bare board, but non issue coated.

Is this Canada standard? I think 23mil distance on pcb board between 230V AC and small signal is too less even if coated. The IPC2221 standard for 301 - 500 V is 800 µm (32 mil). I'm sure between 230VAC (can be up to 253V and 357V peak) and small signal you have to add additional safety distance. (For the EU safety rules I think there is additional distance necessary; unfortunately the documents are hard to find and cost extra money).
The board is big enough to add extra safety...

BR, Toni

Is this Canada standard? I think 23mil distance on pcb board between 230V AC and small signal is too less even if coated. The IPC2221 standard for 301 - 500 V is 800 µm (32 mil). I'm sure between 230VAC (can be up to 253V and 357V peak) and small signal you have to add additional safety distance. (For the EU safety rules I think there is additional distance necessary; unfortunately the documents are hard to find and cost extra money).
The board is big enough to add extra safety...

BR, Toni

Yes that was a typo. I meant to say 32 mil. The traces aren't anywhere near that close. If anyone is concerned about it, they can remove the top unused mount lead on the relay.

Attachments

• Creepage Distance.PNG
    Creepage Distance.PNG
    33.1 KB · Views: 316