How to build a 21st century protection board

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yes that was a typo. I meant to say 32 mil. The traces aren't anywhere near that close. If anyone is concerned about it, they can remove the top unused mount lead on the relay.
OK! I still think there must be more distance to small signal voltages ...

IEC60950 calculator: WWW.CREEPAGE.COM Welcome!
The resulting values are minimum values interpolated.

IMHO: DIY PCB's should/could deliver higher safety as industrial minimum as most of us do not have the testing equipment to check the safety...

BR, Toni

Attachments

• pcb_traces_1.png
    pcb_traces_1.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 417
  • pcb_traces_2.png
    pcb_traces_2.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 398
I'm not really sure if this is the right place for this question, but I've finally got to a point where I can boot the system, but I'm not sure I've got the inrush resistor right. I had tried a 230ohm 20w resistor for it, but it keeps blowing a 4A slow blow fuse as soon as the inrush cycle completes.

I'm not sure how to calculate the inrush resistor size to be honest. I thought I wanted to limit the current as much as possible, but now I realise that isn't right either. Please could someone help me to understand if I want a smaller value and higher wattage resistor or longer inrush cycle.

I'm using the compact supply with 20000uF per rail. I'm also out of fuses now, so will have to order some more!

Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply. I'm using the standard two relay design PCB that is published in the thread. I'm using a version that has been built by other people so can be pretty sure that the PCB is correct.

When the system is powered up it puts the inrush resistor in series with the transformer, and when the inrush cycle is complete it switches in another relay that short circuits the inrush resistor and then turns off the inrush resistor altogether.

I have a 700VA transformer that feeds the supply boards.

I am using the standard compact supply board that is basically just a bridge with 20000uf of capacitance per rail. Bleed resistors are >5Kohm per rail.

Yes, the 15-30 ohm resistance sounds right. But the proper wattage rating has to do with how well the resistor handles transient energy or pulse load for its type. I don't have a direct answer as I usually use NTC thermistor instead of fixed resistors, often several of them in series for larger VA transfos and larger cap banks.

Hi Daavelovesvinyl,

If the relays, transformer and inrush resistor are connected correctly altogether, it looks like you've got some problem with your transformer.

What I would suggest - create a test setup. Remove all the relays circuitry for the time being. Connect your transformer, inrush resistor (I'm using 47R/50W), power switch and the fuse in series. Connect the other switch in parallel with the resistor. That's it.

Now - switch the power on with the resistor switch being off. Inrush mode is on. if everything is fine - close the other switch (short the inrush resistor). Now PSU is running in normal mode - full power. If it blows your fuse - something is wrong.

Disconnect the PSU board at all - try the transformer standalone. And so on.

My last check saw nearly all of the 240V on the inrush resistor and less than 10V on the DC side of the supply rails at the time of fuse failure.

An online calculator suggested that somewhere between 15 and 30 ohms may be more appropriate. Does a 25W 15 - 30 ohm resistor sound better?

15 - 30 ohm resistor is also fine. I believe, the problem is not in your resistor.

My last check saw nearly all of the 240V on the inrush resistor and less than 10V on the DC side of the supply rails at the time of fuse failure.

An online calculator suggested that somewhere between 15 and 30 ohms may be more appropriate. Does a 25W 15 - 30 ohm resistor sound better?

I simulated it, may be a bit overly simplified, but it should give a valid idea. Assuming the bleeding resistors are the only load, the DC rail voltage should be able to reach 42V at 1.2S mark.

Attachments

• IN-RUSH.jpg
    IN-RUSH.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 341
Many thanks for the help. I have ordered some NTC thermistors as they seem to be made for the job. I went for the series option too, buying 5x7ohm from the "big amp" selection. Hopefully by trial and error I can assemble them into a suitable inrush resistance for my load.

Perhaps not so quickly. I mean, the simulation shows even with a 230-ohm inrush limiting resistor, the DC rail should be far greater than 10V as you measured after a few seconds. Something is not quite right.

Is your transformer connected to the supply correctly?
Yes I believe so, as long as the GOSS screen should be earthed, that is the only thing I am not sure about. It measures 76V across the 36-0-36 secondaries when checked.

Did I send you the supply or is it your own?
Yes, it is from the kit. It is a compact supply board.

It actually runs fine with just the relays and transformer in play. It's only when adding the supply that the issue occurs.

I'll take out the supply board and have a good look over it at the weekend. ensure everything is installed correctly / check voltages at various points on the board and then reply again.