I haven't played with class D in a while, are we at PASS level yet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have you enough sun in Denmark for supply your house? (Winter) (I'm thinking in get some solar panels for electricity, now I'm heating the water of my house with solar panels)

Yup. It only needs to charge for about 30 minutes to 1 hour on average per day actually doesn't matter if it's summer or winter.

My system usually draws less than 1.2W all included when online.

The more ecologic is a class D with a high sensitivity speakers :)

Actually ecologic, or perhaps even environmentally friendly would be class B rather than class D which usually has a rather high standby consumption.

My NCC200 which is biased almost into class B, runs much cooler than my ICE, and if one uses an SMPS the standby consumption is even higher...

No school of olde is much greener :)

except your computer, which draws upwards of 100.

My computer isn't part of my sound system. As said before. The system is completely off-grid, has a portable FLAC player with digital output to an external DAC. Combined current draw of the entire system with normal listening levels is 100mA.

Ok, cost of electricity per year including cost of panels is then €1. I calculate with 20 years of running time for the panel because that's what they're rated at. 80% efficiency after 20 years of use.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
If we're really going to do this properly, then you have to account for the energy spent in manufacturing the panels, mining the silicon, bringing it to the manufacturing plant and so on.

At the end though, PV looks pretty good compared to fossil electricity. But that's another thread, and probably another forum.

The impact of using a Class A amp on the environment is minimal. Don't drive as much, take a walk to the convinience store every so often, and you're good. For those of you who fly often, you can live happily knowing that a lifetime of Class D use is not even going to get you 1% of what you've spent.

Saturnus said: There's absolutely nothing in the principle of a class D amp that even hints at it being digital in any way.

I'd have to say it's because it is switching. That's just my perspective, though.
I tended to think of Class-D as a sort of novelty. Then I got a Tripath and listened to it. "World-class" is certainly debatable, but the price/performance ratio most certainly not.
I don't think Class-D will spell the end for other types, except in the mainstream marketplace.

Class D is 80%+ efficient compared to about 60% for class AB.

Right. And any power conscious device would also shut down the power amplifier when a signal is not present. Of course you can do this with a class AB amp too, but if a class D happened to have a higher quiescent dissipation then a comparative class AB amp, it would become somewhat irrelevant if both are turned off.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
In my experience there is no difference in sound between a "cold" and "warm" Class-D amp, at least not with ICEpower and Hypex.

In the "old days" when I had tube amps and transistor class-A, there certainly was a difference. Or at least I thought is was... ;)

In my experience there is no difference in sound between a "cold" and "warm" Class-D amp, at least not with ICEpower and Hypex.

In the "old days" when I had tube amps and transistor class-A, there certainly was a difference. Or at least I thought is was... ;)

The sound of my ICEPOWER based amp, do certainly differ alot from cold to warm. Maybe its down to its powersupply more than the actual amplification...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.