• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Input and switch boards for Soekris DAM1021 DAC

Normundss,

I received my boards last week. They all look great! the quality is excellent as well. I'm excited to get started. So far have completed the muting board. I understand this may not be needed with v3 soekris boards? But still has some advantage I thought. I plan to run balanced unbuffered outputs btw. I have all the components soldered, which wasn't much for this setup.

I had a question for everyone else. The input board has mention of a BNC input...but is there a limitation to the input? 24/96 for BNC? or is it 24/192?

and other option, can someone recommend a good digital coax rca connector for this board? And two output transformer options of the DA101C and the pulse, which one is better, and why? seems the specs of the da101c is better, but also much cheaper? I don't claim to really know anything. :D so any suggestions would be great!

I plan to use an Audio-GD hdmi i2s input module which I mentioned in my previous post with a photo. Likely this and the WaveIO will be my ONLY i2s inputs.

I also have a display kit from KevinIP that I likely will have more questions on once I receive that. As it will be the primary selector for inputs.

And with the WaveIO I would like to use the U.FL connectors for the i2s output on the waveio that is non isolated. I assume it's fine to connect to the input board with these? I have all the proper cables, as well. I notice there are only 3 connectors on the normunds board, but 4 on the waveio. for master clock I believe. I'm not sure if this is needed or not. As the dam1021 has it's own? correct? I'm sure i'm asking some dumb questions. But i'm here to learn. :D thanks everyone

-T

It's really embarassing - I do apologise for such a rookie mistake... That was missing connector to the dac... I rather listen to good music than solder electronics - but hey, at the end of the day its full success and I'm completely amazed how good this stuff is - dac sounds awesome and this switch/input board is great.
There're still some final touches remaining but right now - thank you Normundus - good job :cheers:

Very nice front-end, what do you use to drive the display (both hardware and software) ?

Thanks

Does anyone happen to have handy the dimensions of the input board with the dam1021 and raspberry pi attached?

I know the dimensions of all three independently are readily available, but there is some overlap when they are connected, and I don't believe the overlap amounts are documented.

Thanks!

Normundss,

I received my boards last week. They all look great! the quality is excellent as well. I'm excited to get started. So far have completed the muting board. I understand this may not be needed with v3 soekris boards? But still has some advantage I thought. I plan to run balanced unbuffered outputs btw. I have all the components soldered, which wasn't much for this setup.

I had a question for everyone else. The input board has mention of a BNC input...but is there a limitation to the input? 24/96 for BNC? or is it 24/192?

and other option, can someone recommend a good digital coax rca connector for this board? And two output transformer options of the DA101C and the pulse, which one is better, and why? seems the specs of the da101c is better, but also much cheaper? I don't claim to really know anything. :D so any suggestions would be great!

I plan to use an Audio-GD hdmi i2s input module which I mentioned in my previous post with a photo. Likely this and the WaveIO will be my ONLY i2s inputs.

I also have a display kit from KevinIP that I likely will have more questions on once I receive that. As it will be the primary selector for inputs.

And with the WaveIO I would like to use the U.FL connectors for the i2s output on the waveio that is non isolated. I assume it's fine to connect to the input board with these? I have all the proper cables, as well. I notice there are only 3 connectors on the normunds board, but 4 on the waveio. for master clock I believe. I'm not sure if this is needed or not. As the dam1021 has it's own? correct? I'm sure i'm asking some dumb questions. But i'm here to learn. :D thanks everyone

-T

The muting board will mute any power-on and power-off noises that DAM1021 might produce. They are a significant problem with Rev1 DAM, and presumably mitigated in Rev3. But I have seen at least one report on the main DAM thread saying there are some objectionable power-off noises. Since I don't own a Rev 3 DAM, I can only recommend to try it yourself without the muting board and see if you get any plops.
Another benefit, especially for a balanced build, is easier access to output connections.

If you need RCA connection, the best solution (in my opinion) is to get a RCA/BNC terminated digital coax cable. For example, Blue Jeans Cables makes high quality cables in custom lengths and terminations for a very reasonable price. https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm
Vampire Wire makes some RCA connectors with BNC footprint, although they are a bit expensive. vampire-wire
They also make BNC connectors, in case you like yours gold plated.

You can connect WaveIO with the three U.FL connectors, there is no need for MCLK line. It will be the I2S-1 input, so the other I2S source will need to be connected to the 40-pin Raspberry connector, which is the I2S-2 input. Its pinout is listed in the manual.

They are a significant problem with Rev1 DAM, and presumably mitigated in Rev3.

Hi,

I have DAM rev2. I never had any pops at all. Power ON, OFF , tracks change are perfectly silent. At first I was using the muting board from Normundss and the 0.99 firmware version. Since I switched to firmware 1.06 I tryed without muting board and everything is still good.

So it looks that it is not only software dependent and that all the DAM are not equals on that point.

Laurent

Would there be any reason why these boards wouldn't work in another project? Only reason I ask, Soren doesn't really know what's going on with the 1% DAM boards. Parts are hard to source at the moment, or something like that. I'm not really interested in the 2% boards for my project. Sorry if this is a noob question. I haven't really built/designed anything outside of kits. Thanks!

Would there be any reason why these boards wouldn't work in another project? Only reason I ask, Soren doesn't really know what's going on with the 1% DAM boards. Parts are hard to source at the moment, or something like that. I'm not really interested in the 2% boards for my project. Sorry if this is a noob question. I haven't really built/designed anything outside of kits. Thanks!

Well, the boards provide some functionality that is needed for DAM1021 and the connectors are located so that they plug into DAM1021 directly without wires.
The boards can, in principle, work for other purposes, but then you need to be more specific on what functionality you need.

Yes, it is pin compatible.
However, RPi 3 has higher power consumption that RPi 2. It may be necessary to power RPi3 from a separate supply capable of supplying 2.5A current as per RPi 3 specification.

If you do not have additional peripherals attached to the RPi, and do not run CPU intensive tasks like video decoding, the power supply on the input board may be sufficient.

anyone have experience hookup up dual soekris with normunds boards to "the wire" BAL BAL and SE SE ?
i want to feed them unbuffered signals, but whats the best place to get SE signal from?

the two 4pin unbuffered outs from the muting board seem to be where i get the signal to send to the BAL BAL boards, but I believe I omit using gnd and only use -/+ as the wire says to not use GND inputs from source.

but for SE signal, I want to use the SE SE board, and wondered if I tap off the right balanced unbuffered output? or??? somewhere else? the right one says se unbuffered out, but not sure this is correct once the 5v relay has been installed. i'm foggy on this.

the two 4pin unbuffered outs from the muting board seem to be where i get the signal to send to the BAL BAL boards, but I believe I omit using gnd and only use -/+ as the wire says to not use GND inputs from source.
Yes.

but for SE signal, I want to use the SE SE board, and wondered if I tap off the right balanced unbuffered output? or??? somewhere else? the right one says se unbuffered out, but not sure this is correct once the 5v relay has been installed. i'm foggy on this.
For taking SE signal in a dual dac balanced build, you would take channel 1 (bottom DAC) from BAL OUT 1 pins '+' and GND (that is why the GND is there). SE signal from Channel 2 (top DAC) shoud be taken from the same pins on BAL OUT 2. Which is left and which is right depends on dac configuration in umanager.

Yes.

For taking SE signal in a dual dac balanced build, you would take channel 1 (bottom DAC) from BAL OUT 1 pins '+' and GND (that is why the GND is there). SE signal from Channel 2 (top DAC) shoud be taken from the same pins on BAL OUT 2. Which is left and which is right depends on dac configuration in umanager.

Oh good! I only need 6 wires then. I have two chassis and need to move the SE and Balanced XLR unbuffered signals from Chassis 1(dac) to Chassis 2(trafo/amps). I will be using shielded mini xlr connectors/panel mounts.

PERFECT, In some way's i'm still thinking if there is a way I can eliminate the need for 5V input. Isn't the ONLY reason I need 5V to power the Mute board? and potentially an RPI? I'm not using RPI, and not sure I need anything on the mute board since my boards are revision 3. My USB module is a diyinhk 768khz xu216 which requires an insane 800mA of 3.3V, and the toslink Torx 142L uses 3.3V as well(use 15mA) and HDMI i2S receive module 3.3V (use 15mA). Not sure about RCA spdif/da101c but want to use this too. My PSU is only really supposed to output 800mA per rail, but known to easily output 1000mA with proper cooling, which i'll have more than proper cooling. Although, I'd like to just use both rails and have pure 3.3v instead of split 3.3v and 5v. I don't really have any need for 5V unless i'm forgetting something? Is there any normunds boards that need 5V?

I'm strictly unbuffered outputs, all 3.3v modules.
is there an advantage to using the muting board? and if I were to remove it, what do I do with the 1x4pin connectors I've soldered? remove those and tap off of those outputs the same as the muting board?

Can i simplify to only 3.3V? ditch 5V entirely suggestions ?

PERFECT, In some way's i'm still thinking if there is a way I can eliminate the need for 5V input. Isn't the ONLY reason I need 5V to power the Mute board? and potentially an RPI? I'm not using RPI, and not sure I need anything on the mute board since my boards are revision 3. My USB module is a diyinhk 768khz xu216 which requires an insane 800mA of 3.3V, and the toslink Torx 142L uses 3.3V as well(use 15mA) and HDMI i2S receive module 3.3V (use 15mA). Not sure about RCA spdif/da101c but want to use this too. My PSU is only really supposed to output 800mA per rail, but known to easily output 1000mA with proper cooling, which i'll have more than proper cooling. Although, I'd like to just use both rails and have pure 3.3v instead of split 3.3v and 5v. I don't really have any need for 5V unless i'm forgetting something? Is there any normunds boards that need 5V?
?

If you remove the relays from the muting board, it will disable the muting and you no longer need to supply 5V to it. If you don't use the buffers on the muting board, and your DAM does not make noises during power on/off, there is not much point in using the muting board.

There is a section in the input board doc on running it from an external 3.3V supply.
Btw, the TOSLINK receiver should not be powered by the same supply you use for I2S interfaces. SPDIF inputs on DAM are not isolated and should be powered from a supply connected to the non-isolated side. That is why there is a second 3.3V regulator on the input boards.