Iron Pre Essentials Kits For The DIYA Store - Register Your Interest

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Does this wiring apply to the 2021 pcb as well

certainly; changes between two iterations are (sort of) minimal, strictly auxiliary circuit

Been trying to find a build is there one?

not yet; you'll need to read schematic :rofl:

pretty much everything you need to know (from build guide) is already covered in this thread with pictures

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
everything the same as shown in #2113

if you connect signal from buffer to your AVC's "IN" pad, you'll not have any gain

if you connect signal to switch (or directly to autoformer pin) contact of -3db, you'll have +3db gain, when AVC set to max

if you connect signal to switch (or directly to autoformer pin) contact of -6db, you'll have +6db gain, when AVC set to max

if you connect signal to switch (or directly to autoformer pin) contact of -9db, you'll have +9db gain, when AVC set to max

that you need to determine physically, but it's easy:

-3db switch contact is one connected to output when switch is in "max-1" position
-6db switch contact is one connected to output when switch is in "max-2" position
-9db switch contact is one connected to output when switch is in "max-3" position

again - reason why I was recommending cheapest Slagle package is simple - that version is having switching kept simple, just dealing with output node

all costlier iterations he's having are having combined switching, dealing both with output node and input node, to get greater number of positions

I know that I can deal with any iteration to include it in IPre package (enabling gain setting, that's the catch), but I'm really not in the mood to see have I necessary info, then wrestle with preparing necessary documentation to post here, taking in account that maybe one or none of Greedy Boyz is actually needing that

disclaimer - I can't remember what's switching arrangement for his most expensive version (zillion positions with Elma switch(es), ready made package) even if I had it on my bench, assembly done for friend

edit: pics of your actual AVC could help me to help you with precise tips

Do these help not Slagle but Tribute

Attachments

• 00764ee19ab8449c7ea8f83a4b95dc2455bc89da_2_690x342.jpeg
    00764ee19ab8449c7ea8f83a4b95dc2455bc89da_2_690x342.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 111
  • ab496b1feed467adcf812bfae2d9355fb46b0f46.jpeg
    ab496b1feed467adcf812bfae2d9355fb46b0f46.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 111
  • f361fa528e38c7c2b9488819f7c1cb55895d1396_2_690x349.jpeg
    f361fa528e38c7c2b9488819f7c1cb55895d1396_2_690x349.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: 1 user
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK, so you have -3, -7 and -10db positions

you need to find those taps physically, same logic applies as

-3db switch contact is one connected to output when switch is in "max-1" position
-6db switch contact is one connected to output when switch is in "max-2" position
-9db switch contact is one connected to output when switch is in "max-3" position

you'll hardly decipher that with ohmmeter, considering that Rdc of winding is low, so you can't differentiate direct contact of switch to resistance of windings - best way is if you have same switch spare so you can measure on it, or simply reading datasheet of switch

there are other ways, all really easy, you can use any sort of signal generator connected to AVC yadayada ....... sole important thing is that you have proper mental image of AVC itself and its function.....

Last edited:
I'm silent because I'm listening to my IP and enjoying every moment. Dug out and played an old memory - Deep Purple's Child in Time. The Hammond organ never sounded so good, but what struck me was the detail of the symbols for such an oldish recording. Love my IP. Thanx ZM.

Reactions: 1 users
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm silent because I'm listening to my IP and enjoying every moment. Dug out and played an old memory - Deep Purple's Child in Time. The Hammond organ never sounded so good, but what struck me was the detail of the symbols for such an oldish recording. Love my IP. Thanx ZM.

Come taste the Band is fave LP of mine

for my preferences, that was absolute peak

but that's me - contrary to my gen, I was more prog and jazz than rock

now, logical, I'm Omni

:clown:

Reactions: 1 users