Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Some basics for the dumbheads, including me.

Fs – (free air) resonance frequency of driver (Hz)
– frequency at which the combination of the energy stored in the moving mass and suspension compliance is maximum, which results in maximum cone velocity
usually it is less efficient to produce output frequencies below Fs
– input signals significantly below Fs can result in large excursions
– typical factory tolerance for Fs spec is ±15%

This is the correlation between efficiency and stored energy that I referred to.
A loudspeaker system (a woofer in a box) is usually more efficient above Fs.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Of course you can store energy, e.g. in a car battery, but that's a different thing. To trace energy stored in a loudspeaker driver, drive it with a short impulse and see how long it takes for the all moving parts to decay their motion. That is the energy stored in the driver - all in mechanical (and electromagnetical) resonances, including the vibrating modes of the cone, spider, etc. If there were no losses it would oscillate like that forever. All of that typically manifest iftself in the frequency response as a non-flatness (except what Earl mentioned - I never saw that in practice however).

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
So you also see why sentence like "...That gave an extremely flat frequency response, but also a lot of energy storage." really makes no sense.

There's energy stored in the resonance, so the more pronaunced it is (the higher the total Q), the longer the decay. I'm not sure about the absolute amount of energy "stored" - that's not correlated in any way I think. That depends on other things about the driver.

Last edited:
Let me put it this way: let's suppose the fraction of energy stored is the highest at Fs, as stated:
"frequency at which the combination of the energy stored in the moving mass and suspension compliance is maximum".

Then below this point efficiency usally decreases and vice versa.
If that isn't a correlation (relation/connection/link) between the two of them, I don't know what is.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If there is any hint of correlation in practice, I'd say that less efficient drivers tend to store more energy at the resonance because of the weaker electrical damping (lower Bl). But I wouldn't call it a correlation as there are other things involved. Or I don't follow. Are you just saying that below Fs the efficiency decreases? Yes, it does, but that can happen without any enery storage at all (like for Q < 0.5).

I am not sure if this baffle was already mentioned. I heard it at High End fair in Munich two years ago and was very surprised about the good sound. Simply use a proper horn on top of this and you have enough bass for private purposes.

ElectraVolt: Western Electric TA-7331-A Baffle

The ETF guys are (alsmost) exclusively dealing with high efficiency drivers/horns/systems.

On several occasions my brother played electronic (as well as other) music through the loudspeakers shown below, and commented:
"Sounds better than any club system, even the Funktion One install of the Berghain."
Funny, because the G.I.P. 9700 is only 1/3 of the price ;)
The cut off frequency of the big radial horn is 120 Hz.

GIP9700%20(1)_1.jpg

Last edited:
However, you really need a big room to get the most out of the 9700 system. The owner of the setup in the picture purposely built the space around it.

This G.I.P. system includes a similar baffle as the Western Electric TA-7331-A in docali's link and is better suited to a medium sized room:

GIP7331system-front1.JPG

GIP7331system-side.JPG

GIP7331system-back.JPG

The folks at G.I.P. likely had their reasons to leave those out. Their systems are inspired by WE, not necessarily identical/perfect clones.

The G.I.P. 555 driver is based on the WE-555 with some subtle mods. According to the people who've used both, the G.I.P. units measure and (therefore) sound better.

Last edited:
So you also see why sentence like "...That gave an extremely flat frequency response, but also a lot of energy storage." really makes no sense.

There's energy stored in the resonance, so the more pronaunced it is (the higher the total Q), the longer the decay. I'm not sure about the absolute amount of energy "stored" - that's not correlated in any way I think. That depends on other things about the driver.

store verb
\ ˈstȯr \
stored; storing
Definition of store (Entry 1 of 3)
transitive verb
ACCUMULATE

resonant adjective
res·​o·​nant | \ ˈre-zə-nənt , ˈrez-nənt\
Definition of resonant
intensified

intensify verb
in·​ten·​si·​fy | \ in-ˈten(t)-sə-ˌfī \
intensified; intensifying
Definition of intensify
transitive verb
to increase

accumulate verb
ac·​cu·​mu·​late | \ ə-ˈkyü-m(y)ə-ˌlāt \
accumulated; accumulating
Definition of accumulate
transitive verb
to increase

;)

Some additional info.

there was some discussion of using a round horn to match vertical directivity at XO with a round woofer, thus justifying use of round horn rather than elliptical. Here is an elegant, albeit more complex and larger, alternative. Now that may not have been one of the design constraints, but clearly this approach could be followed to achieve that.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A 100Hz horn is going to be huge. I don't think you need to go that low. I've tried pushing the horn crossover down as low as possible and it just didn't sound good. Crossover where it actually works the best, not where you hope it will work the best. ;)