Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

2435HPL is really nice from 850hz and up, but I can't get it sound right no matter what crossover or WG I used.

You should know that a driver is somewhat limited by the WG/horn you use....if you are trying to get it to play lower you are going to have to use a horn that allows it most likely. I'm guessing that you mean to play lower by "sound right"....maybe you could be more specific or show measurements.

2435HPL sound fantastic in 2384WG but it require supertweeter and the size of that WG is huge. After one of the JBLs got damaged I delete all measurements and don't want to go there anymore. Now I'm looking for more compact solution. 800-900hz and up will be nice. 3 way. This was my last mid-high setup. Obviously not a 2 way))), sorry for OT.

Attachments

• JBL5way.jpg
    JBL5way.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 365
Yes, I will use a subs below 120-140hz. I have 2 JBL 2241 and 2 AE TD18H for it.

A sealed MTM is what you have in mind?

Italian drivers are quite expensive in the US, especially RCF.
LaVoce - designed in Italy, made in China - is relatively cheap at PE and supposed to be very good.
The B&C 10" NLD and NW are a little over $150 each.

Last edited:
2435HPL sound fantastic in 2384WG but it require supertweeter and the size of that WG is huge. After one of the JBLs got damaged I delete all measurements and don't want to go there anymore. Now I'm looking for more compact solution. 800-900hz and up will be nice. 3 way. This was my last mid-high setup. Obviously not a 2 way))), sorry for OT.

One thing to consider is that the JBL 2435BE has a 3" diaphragm, it could be this along with the 1.5" exit, hampering the lower frequency goals you had...I am not certain any of the drivers you listed are going to be "better" at the top end...actually...BE is the desired material due to its ability to play up top...maybe it had to do with how you voiced the drivers? How exactly did you damage the driver? Why do you think a 300 dollar compression driver is going to out perform a 1000 dollar BE compression driver? It sounds like you were using it wrong to begin with. If you didn't like the top end of BE diaphragm at 3" and 1.5" exit....I can't see the drivers you listed as an improvement.

I like the idea of those near field monitors.
The driver was damaged when some truck hit our transformer and create Big Boom. I can't figure out how the diaphragm should be replaced and don't want too - spent too mach time on them. They are fantastic drivers in 850-7000hz, but hey never produce decent highs above that no matter what I tried. Cheep 1" drivers like DE250, Celestion, or Renkus Heintz are better in this region.
Maybe I did something wrong, but for now I'm just tired of them.
Legis used Faital HF1440 on his "Colossus", I also heard those RCFs and really like the sound of it from 800hz up.

Attachments

• V4.PNG
    V4.PNG
    722.5 KB · Views: 422
  • V.jpg
    V.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 439
  • jbl.jpg
    jbl.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 384
The thing is the diaphragms are NOT the culprit of your HF issues....the compression driver they are in....ARE....if you find the right home for those Diaphragms (and buy a new one to replace the broken one) they are going to perform better than the replacements you choose...

The guys on this forum will know if those diaphragms can fit into another CD and which one to choose...

The top end of the 2435HPL is its weak spot, notwithstanding (or due to) the Be diaphragm.

Yes and the phase plug is so short and with no throat it is very finicky about the horn/waveguide used. Some have added a 1/2 spacer between the horn and the driver kind of like a 2432 to form a short throat that has helped in some cases.

When used in the Vertec cabinets it's 3 per and they get a DSP boost upper octaves.

You can get decent last octave response but it's not easy without loosing too much overall SPL @ crossover.

Rob:)

Thanks Rob for the additional notes.
The 2435HPL has been analysed thoroughly on audioheritage.

The driver was indeed specifically designed for the Vertec line arrays.

In 2002 Doug Button published an AES paper highlighting the development of the 2435HPL and its application.

Attachments

• JBL_-_AES_Preprint_HF_Components_for_High_Output_Articulated_Line_Arrays.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
....I also heard those RCFs and really like the sound of it from 800hz up.

If you compare mobile and installation 2-way speaker systems from JBL and RCF (EON, PRX vs. ART series etc.), the difference in (sound) quality becomes clear.
Where JBL seems to cut back on drivers / materials etc. to save production costs, most RCF boxes contain the same drivers that you can buy separately.

Some folks use only one pair of ART 745s for small / medium-sized venues and 100-150 visitors, without subs and apparently no complaints about lack of low-end...

Last edited: