Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

-unusually small 16 mm exit compression driver, 1800 Hz-35 kHz
which is coaxially mounted in
-appr. 127 mm cone mid-range, 500-1800 Hz
Both mounted in a horn.
-4x127 mm dome midrange. I suppose they are mostly for headroom and secondary for pinching directivity in midrange. 200 to 500 Hz.
-front-firing 381 mm woofer, 75-200 Hz
-381 mm side woofers of different design, 20-75 Hz

So 5 ways after all.

I think front and side woofers overlap more than it seems from the crossover frequencies. I'm not keen on simulating bass module right now, but looks like there is some rudimentary cardioid beamforming employed, as similary dimensioned 1238A
Genelec 1238A horizontal and vertical directivity

has a +-75 degrees beamwidth at 600..650 Hz and more than +-90 at 250, while 8381A pattern control extends a decade lower - already +-75 deg at 250 Hz and +-60 at 400.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The waveguide with the coaxial driver (the two top bands) is really a marvel. Perhaps a bit more rising DI than what I would expect - definitely someting to consider, but we can only guess what were the true reasons for that. I only can't see how could they leave there the bump around 1 kHz:

1684306795583.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
^ 1kHz is most likely good old edge diffraction. They forgot to include roundover :unsure:
diffraction.png

Probably question about looks, or perhaps its something that is not so audible, or perhaps not patentable. They seem to have bucketful of various technologies like Minimum Diffraction Coaxial (MDC™) Driver Technology and Directivity Control Waveguide (DCW™) Technology. Edge Rounding (ER™) Technology is missing from the list though :D I'll get my Coffee Brewing (CB™) Technology running and then I'll go get my Coat (C™) Technology

Last edited:
Typical over-engineering, IMHO.
What I see is a bunch of teeny (and cheap) drivers trying hard to behave like a single large expensive one would.

I'll give them a listen when possible.

But I'll be very surprised if they can improve on a top-notch 2 way with a single large-format Be-dia compression driver on a large, smooth horn loading it properly down to ~300Hz, and crossed over at 500-600Hz to a pair of front-facing "old-school" 15" woofers in a simple, low-tuned BR box.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, maybe I did but wasn't aware of that. Would you name some examples so I can be sure or know what to look for?
Commercial examples... only these ones comes to mind, sadly: https://www.gt-sound.com/en/products_category/srv-1rgojira/

Like I said, not where the mainstream market is headed :-(

Older, vaguely similar systems like e.g., the Rey Audio monitors are not far off (but still a bit more compromised/inferior in terms of ultimate refinement, imo): http://www.reyaudio.com/index.html

DIY... I would gladly invite you to come and listen to my own system ;-) I've recently upgraded it and will soon start a thread about it.

Reactions: 2 users
^ 1kHz is most likely good old edge diffraction. They forgot to include roundover :unsure:
View attachment 1174821

Probably question about looks, or perhaps its something that is not so audible, or perhaps not patentable. They seem to have bucketful of various technologies like Minimum Diffraction Coaxial (MDC™) Driver Technology and Directivity Control Waveguide (DCW™) Technology. Edge Rounding (ER™) Technology is missing from the list though :D I'll get my Coffee Brewing (CB™) Technology running and then I'll go get my Coat (C™) Technology
If you look at your average mixing monitor speaker, even the (VERY) expensive ones.
For years, my conclusion has been that apparently some people are just not that picky? (ironic for that kind of work)
Because if you see some of those frequency and directivity plots (spinoramas) some are just really bad.
But we all know that we don't only listen with our ears, "technology" sells even within the DIY/maker community.
As well as the idea of "it's expensive, so it MUST be good". (not realizing that a fancy coating or finish of the magnet doesn't improve audio performance, but adds $$$$ big-time)

I agree.

I believe I did just that more than a decade ago - a 1" though.
1 inch drivers can sometimes be a little tricky with the Fs that is low enough.
I'd still like to see a compression driver that is a little bit more focused on hifi instead of PA.
So less about max efficiency and SPL.

But yeah, there are plenty of good ones out there, needing just 1 or 2 single Watts to blow your ears out.
Getting basically very little/none odd order harmonics as a bonus.

With a similar vertical plot?
I have never given vertical polars much importance, certainly nothing like the horizontal. Hence I have not taken much data in this regard. That said, I would say that mine were comparable, neither better nor worse, from what I remember. A hole, to be sure, but far enough away from direct sound so as not to be an issue.