JamJar: an HPA-1-inspired power amp

Tungsten,

I asked a cap manufacturer about this once and he concurred, this according to him is to do with construction techniques and resultant ESR, he also mentioned that electrolytic perform better closer to their rated voltage.

So his conclusion was to use low ESR 105º caps close to (within 20%) their rated voltage. Listening test tend to bear this out but I find that the electrolytic capacitor quality after the regulator can have more impact on the sound than the ones before the regulator (assuming you have enough capacitance in this position).

Jam
My observations agree with what you have stated here. When designing power supplies with multiple stages of capacitors, I use higher voltage rated caps upstream (where incoming voltage may have a higher degree of variation), and lower voltage rated parts closer to the output stage.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Does the simulated reference voltage get noticeably worse when you include realistic, nonzero ESR and ESL of the VREF capacitor "C7" ? Do ESR/ESL have any effect upon the simulated ripple rejection at 120 Hz?

Are you happy with the amount of non-DC that is present on the VREF node?

_

Attachments

• hhh.png
    hhh.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 248
  • CDE_Electrolyic_Application_Guide.pdf
    414.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
ESR seems to have no effect; ESL will introduce a spike, but it's upside down. (120Hz is normally around -97dB; at a resonant ESL of 50mH it drops to -108dB.)

Interesting comment regarding the non-DC present on the Vref node. That seems to be where 90% of my error is coming from....

I had a similar thought last night which works well:

attachment.php

I even have some ~ 2mA Idss parts, but not enough to build all the different variations. J113 might be the ticket....

PS: I just looked at the spec sheet of the CR160. It's just a diode-connected JFET too, so it's actually exactly the same thought. :)

Attachments

• fix.jpg
    fix.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 469
One nice thing about parts such as the CR160 series is that they are already bin sorted for current. The J113 will probably need source degeneration resistance to achieve the desired current.
Jam also mentioned a good technique to improve performance of the voltage source – which is to use an RC dropping network to supply power to the current regulator diode. Once you have that in place, you can also try connecting the emitters of Q5 and Q6 to that same filtered power node. The emitter resistors can probably be eliminated if you do this.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
.... the non-DC present on the Vref node. That seems to be where 90% of my error is coming from....

Jam would have warned you about it eventually. So would the other commenters in this thread who offer ideas on how to reduce it. Personally I am fond of the two-zeners approach because a zener diode costs ten cents while a current regulator diode costs two dollars from Mouser. If you buy them on eBay, you pay less, but what exactly do you receive?

I first saw the two zeners approach in the John Curl / Mark Levinson ML-2 power amp. Nelson Pass used it fairly often too, back when he was designing with BJTs. I put a minor variant of it in "Mountain View," and it works quite acceptably well there.

_

Last edited:
Without doing any calculations, I would tend to use more than 2mA to bias the Zener if you are using a bipolar ltp.
Most likely 5mA as a rough starting point.

Maybe an lm329 would be better here or maybe use leds.
Or use 5.1 V Zeners.
You could also use tl431.

Last edited: