JamJar: an HPA-1-inspired power amp

I'm going with an E-562 (mostly because it comes a diode shape and the widely-spaced pads are easier to lay out).

From 20Hz we're at 90dB attenuation, 3mOhms output impedance and 1uV residual ripple.

It still makes 70dB and 10mOhms (the original target specs) at 2Hz.

attachment.php

Attachments

• discrete_series_reg4.pdf
    137.4 KB · Views: 614
Jeff ,

The J170(B ) about 8mA IDSS could be used. I would add a resistor between gate and source to adjust the current to about 5 mA as pico suggests for lowest noise.

Don't, forget that the 2SK170 is a 25V part so a resistor in series with it is in order.

Question, What can you attach to the junction of the resistor and current diode to further reduce noise ? ;)

Jam

You can reduce the amount of non-DC pollution at the base of Q23 by another factor of ~30X (29 dB), if you add one more resistor. 2.2K 1/4W metal film very inexpensive.
Indeed, but the noise there is no longer the limiting factor -- so it doesn't help at the output.
BTW that E-562 current regulator diode looks expensive if you buy it in thru hole packaging.
My aversion to parts count is more about minimalism than economics. And it's still half the price of a 1N5314. ;)

It looks like NJSemi is still making the J511 (as is Linear Systems). LS's price is even worse than the E-562, and I can't find a price for the NJSemi part.

Jeff,

The E-562 is what I sometimes use as well as a 2SK170 both of wich perform the same. Look at the current source in the HPA-1 regulator you drew up....inexpensive and easily repeatable. Just saying..........;)
I generally always use base stoppers...just in case.

Jam

Last edited:
.... Look at the current source in the HPA-1 regulator you drew up....inexpensive and easily repeatable.

Ahh! That's the other idea I had when drifting off to sleep last night! I couldn't remember what it was when I woke up.

(The third idea was to copy the ripple down to the tail of the LTP so that the LTP transistors saw the ripple on both sides. I remember this from Broskie's Aikido, but I couldn't make it work in silicon.)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
... You can reduce the amount of non-DC pollution at the base of Q23 by another factor of ~30X (29 dB) ...

Indeed, but the noise there is no longer the limiting factor -- so it doesn't help at the output.

Then you need more gain. That is the reason why the Jung and the Sjostrom regulators got excellent ripple rejection at 2 x fmains: they have super high gain. (I'm not familiar with the others inside the blue circle)

_

Attachments

• regs.png
    regs.png
    138.5 KB · Views: 203
Jeff,

Operating the Zener too close to knee will be noisy. Optimum current for most zeners is 4 to 5 mils.

You may want try two 13v zeners in series.

I would be interesting to replace the zener with Vbe multiplier.

Jam

Attachments

• sat_zener-breakdown.jpg
    sat_zener-breakdown.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited: