Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

A bit like this one???

I've been working on the clock distribution. Since the C2 went into my 960, i'm going to use the Trichord 4 on this DAC.

I've also seperated a few supply's which i'll run of additional psu's.

Not made it make a noise yet tho'!!!

Ian

Attachments

• img_5375.jpg
    img_5375.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 215
UV101 said:
A bit like this one???

Ian

Yep, that's the one. Only I didn't use the fancy regulators (yet) and I assembled it on my anti-static mat instead of my bed :D.

It sounds quite nice with clock derived from the CS8414, just to test it. I performed some opamp-rolling and suddenly I had a combination that sounded very calm and relaxed. Don't remember what the opamps were though :smash:
I'll post a piccy tonight when I get home.

Ray

Gents,
This is off topic but it seems that my target audience is on this thread.

We are world class Upgraders of SACD and CD players, and need a competent UK tech for UK installations.

An overview of what we do can be found here:

http://www.vacuumstate.com/fileupload/SACD_2005.pdf

and regarding our latest clocks, here:

http://www.vacuumstate.com/fileupload/NewsletterFeb_2009_1.pdf

If you could be interested in adding our agency to your current business, or even starting a sideline business with us, I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Regards, Allen

Allen Wright (Founder & CEO)
Vacuum State GmbH
Buesingerstr. 5
8203 Schaffhausen
Switzerland

aw@vacuumstate.com

Ph: + 41 52 62035 81
Fax: + 41 52 62035 83
www.vacuumstate.com

Funny! I just had to double check which thread this was!!! LOL

I got those audiocom regs at a bargain basement price. I know they'll only deliver approx 100ma which is why the output stage will be driven with its own PSU and also the 7220 has its own lm317 reg. I will however drive it's sense with a clean supply probably a LDO low noise device (like on the C1 but 5v).

The output satge will be a "Rays" DOS taken from my CD63 via my CD960!

As my Bursons didn't want to know in my Restek (due to current protection), they may be used the I/V again (like the 960). Those opamps currently on the I/V are LME49710NA. I'll prob play around with the opamps, Burson and DOS to see where it goes!

I've also got a half built DIR9001 adapter to try. Should be quite intersting! I've also noticed a few of those ebay boards are starting to include I2S inputs. Would be interesting to put a well sorted 1541 dac onto a 63 via I2S????????!!!

:bigeyes: :smash::xeye:

[OT]

Cool, you have a luxury version :D.

I thought i'd give it a try first, before fitting more exotic stuff. Although i'm not real cheap with BG's/MUSE and styrene caps.

I temporary re-wired the circuit so it uses the recovered clock from the 8414, and I changed the output filter to that alike of a CD65II (the extra inductor in series with C41/C44) and optimized the curve

Here's mine:

Ray

[/OT]

Attachments

• 1541_dac.jpg
    1541_dac.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 193
Thats looking Nice Ray!

Not the delux version, just added some extra bits here and there.

I've used ZA's where you have the BG's and I've also modded for std 78/79xx regs. I'll almost certainly end up with an SPower on the 7220.

I notice you're using heatsinks on the 7220 and 1541. I ended up using a sink on the 7220b in my 960. It wasn't required with the A version but when I changed to the B, it got very hot, even to the point that it started to cause distortion. I added the sink and it settled down ok. It was probably not helped by all the additional regs and psu's!

One thing worth noting is that I'm using 1uF oscons for MSB decoupling on the 1541. i toyed with this on my CDP. It seemed to work very well. I ended up with Mundorf MKP's but I thought I'd try the elcos again here!

Are you using the 1541 that came with the kit? Mine was an R1 which I think is inferior to the std A version?? I used a spare std A version left over from the CDP modding!

Just on a side note (while we're well off topic!) have you considered a valve stage on the output? In my CDP i'm running a Burson for I/V and a copy musical fidelity tube buffer as the output stage.

6h5c said:
You can simply pull the receiver out of the socket, and insert I2S there :).

That sounds too easy :D

Ian

[OT]

Thanks Ian. It's a nice PCB to look at, even though the lay-out is not the best. But I hope the added local decoupling will improve things a bit.

These good old chips get quite hot. I figured a small sink wouldn't hurt, and it looks cool :cool:. I believe the 1541 is also a R1. I salvaged the chips from a cheapo CD40 player; also left me with a nice not-too-worn CDM4/19 transport!

Decoupling is 14x 100n Rifa MKP on top, and an additional 680n PPS on the back for MSB. I'm going to try it with opamps first, and if I like it enough, I may tweak it further, we'll see.

Bought a nice case for it BTW, the Galaxy GX283: hifi2000.it

Ray

[/OT]

I must admit, I planned to use the mkp cap spaces for local elco decoupling on the supplies. I've used ZA220uF straight after the regs and i'll do the same as close to the chips as possible.

Those cases look really good and excellent value for money. I've been looking for a while and I think i'll use the same type! Thanks for the link.

I'd be very intersted to see where you settle on the output stage!

6h5c said:
[OT]

Cool, you have a luxury version :D.

I thought i'd give it a try first, before fitting more exotic stuff. Although i'm not real cheap with BG's/MUSE and styrene caps.

I temporary re-wired the circuit so it uses the recovered clock from the 8414, and I changed the output filter to that alike of a CD65II (the extra inductor in series with C41/C44) and optimized the curve

Here's mine:

Ray

[/OT]

Coool I bought one of those pcb's too and A low jitter clock to go in it, Still collecting parts though
:D

Hi mate what i did was upgrade the power supply caps but i did not notice i had fitted 16v 4700uf when i should have fitted 25v 4700uf i allso changed the the 2 caps C805 AND C806 thay were 16v 4700uf and i fitted 16v 220uf now left chanel is dead and right channel is badly distorted every thing else works perfect :bawling:

I can't see either of those changes immediately stopping it from working (but running 16V caps @ ~20V could cause trouble).

I'd suggest that one of those voltage rails is down so the output stage is running on one voltage.

Do you have a multi-meter? You'll want to check for the right voltages on the op-amps, that would be my starting point.

I could come and look at it but bear in mind most stuff I touch turns to vapour ;)

Simon