MarkAudio CHP-90 Enclosure Options

Wondering if maybe the MarkAudio "signature" is just not for me...
For me it's extremely early to judge whether the audio signature of the Mark Audio is to my taste or not.
It is a file from hornresp.
MLTL box 94.94 litre
Driver is placed 49.53 from top of box.
Port is placed 21.62 cm from bottom and have area 285 cm2 and 1.8 cm deep.
Area is 647 cm2 from bottom to top of the box. Hornresp dont tell the width and depth. Only the height.
49.53cm+71.09cm+21.62cm=142.24cm
All measurements are internal.
GM's proposal is something like this ?
An excellent hiding place for my 3,5 y.o. little son toys ! The baffle thickness has to be at least 18mm. It will need extremely strong bracing to avoid resonance. So with a baffle width 21cm the depth will be 30,8 !!!
It is bigger than an A4 page. Unpractical .
Thank you very much for the offer but....

Elias

Attachments

• 1668370405427.jpg
    1668370405427.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: 1 user
An MLTL would be a good solution! thanks GM! but whatever the shape, the 38" height is impossible for me as I'm looking for a desktop-size ://

You're welcome!

Understood, but this sim was to address any perceived/stated (mid) bass preference(s) in a much smaller variant of BLH it ideally needs 'to be all it can be'.

Regardless, in these types of meandering threads I generally post more to the (lurking/searching) masses, especially in ones like this where folks seem to want/'demand' '10 lbs in a 2 lb box'. ;)

GM's proposal is something like this ?
The baffle thickness has to be at least 18mm. It will need extremely strong bracing to avoid resonance.
Thank you very much for the offer but....

You're welcome!

Size is relative; to me its a floor lamp base. ;) But I've been fortunate to having relatively large rooms for my entire adult life.

When going low though, 'BIB' (bigger is better) rules! :) Can't fool 'Mother Nature'!

Right, the minimum I recommend for most cab alignments regardless of size.

Such high aspect ratio cabs are like cylinders, so acoustically very strong along its axial length, requiring minimal ~ full length bracing (board on edge) and only one horizontally behind the driver(s) to do double duty mass loading the driver(s) plus either double top, bottom plates or angle board on edge bracing if singles.

Same cab 'shrunk' to T/S max flat alignment size is 15.15 L with Fb = Fs with basically little/no useful (mid) bass unless jammed in a corner. 106.24 cm^2 (i.d.) = ~10.31 cm square, so now small enough for your son/pet to knock it over if not on/in a substantial base, so might wind up with ~the same size footprint as the full size model. :(

Red trace +4 dB peaking referenced to a 14 W input.

edit: Note both cabs are inside dimensions (i.d.) based on 0.75"/1.8 cm no void plywood or similar.

MA CHP-90 T-S max flat MLTL.PNG
(mid)

Attachments

• CHP90maxflatMLTL.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
GM, how is the effect when using a large box? Does the driver tolerate less power?
Not sure what you mean by 'tolerate', but as the posted power plots show, the greater the box acoustic efficiency, the greater the peak SPL in its Fs - Fhm = [2*Fs/Qts'] BW for a given power output.

[Qts']: [Qts] + any added series resistance [Rs]: http://www.mh-audio.nl/Calculators/newqts.html

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure what you mean by 'tolerate', but as the posted power plots show, the greater the box acoustic efficiency, the greater the peak SPL in its Fs - Fhm = [2*Fs/Qts'] BW for a given power output.

[Qts']: [Qts] + any added series resistance [Rs]: http://www.mh-audio.nl/Calculators/newqts.html
Here I have tried to construct an MLTL for the Alpair CHP-90.
I have tried to copy your txt file from Alpair 10.2.
Do you think it is possible to improve this further?

Attachments

• AlpairCHP90MLTL.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 54
Hmm, my sim was strictly to optimize bchang's sim to be closer to measurements, so please define 'improve' since one has to use less damping, so likely bigger and more optimal driver, vent offset to audibly improve it. Also, it's Xmax limited to ~10 W/< ~150 Hz with the CHP90.

Reactions: 1 user