Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You might try an AliExpress dealer, this one seems to carry Faital Pro and shipping from Asia might be less than USA.

US $19.99 | THE FAITAL PRO 3FE25 IS A HIGH QUALITY FULL-RANGE 3" SPEAKER THAT HAS A WIDE FREQUENCY RANGE FROM 100HZ TO 20KHZ
THE FAITAL PRO 3FE25 IS A HIGH QUALITY FULL RANGE 3" SPEAKER THAT HAS A WIDE FREQUENCY RANGE FROM 100HZ TO 20KHZ|Amplifier| - AliExpress

I don’t see the 16ohm version but dual 8ohm as 4ohm nominal might be really good as well.

I actually think these drivers might be made in China despite what the label says. This sort of stuff happens all the time. I have a friend in Shenzen who showed me some samples (a few years ago) that he got from the local factory there. Same cardboard box, same foam liners, same driver - 3FE22-8. The sticker clearly says “Made in Italy” :)

Guess I should buy some Faitals then. Seems to be the way to go.
I might pick up some Alpair 7MS and/or Tang Band W5-2143 to have a play with as well.
Let's see what Black friday brings.

Well well well, google shaping my results has struck again. Jumped on the desktop and searched for the Faitals and found a supplier in Aus! Guess that is happening then.

Last edited:
Hi Mitch311 - Digikey have the TC9FD in stock and free shipping if you order 3 or more - at AUS$20 each plus GST.

I can't add the link but your search engine will find it easily.

Hard to pass by IMHO. They seem to work extremely well in a Manzanita open baffle that I made. Digikey ship very fast!

Who in Australia stocks the 3FE25 Faital Pros (other than Dick Smith / Kogan at $119 each)? I know that DJCity have the 3FE22s.

Simon

Last edited:
Simon,
You’re completely correct, I was looking at the 3FE22’s not the 25’s at DJCity. Got that completely wrong!
TC9FD’s for $20ea is a solid deal. I’ll look into it, thanks!
I must admit I’m a bit amused/befuddled that everyone recommends the cheaper drivers over the w5-2143 and Alpairs. But price isn’t everything I guess. If they sound better then they sound better.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The W5-2143 is a superb full range. One of my favorites and works well in the XKi. I have not made a design for it as a Karlsonator yet but imagine it might work in an 0.53 scale. It’s got some nice bass and the top end is great.

Here is W5-2143 in XKi:
750221d1555471376-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-bandpass-xki-w5-2143-p08-jpg

846117d1590078184-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-bandpass-xki-w5-2143-plans-xrk971-21-2020-jpg

Last edited:
Hey XRK,

If you've got time, could you model the 3FE22 as dual config?
FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 3FE22 (8Ω)

How do they look in comparison to the dual 3FE25?

If you are feeling particularly kind, it'd be interesting to the see the MA 7MS modelled as well.
Alpair 7 MS | Markaudio

Also you've actually pumped out plans for the w5-2143 in the karlsonator before:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...onator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-354.html#post6013847

Gonna grab some TC9's to get started. Very interested to see how these turn out.

Thanks for your generosity of time and knowledge.

Sorry but somehow my Akabak virtual machine got corrupted - I suspect victim of an antivirus deep cleaning I recently did. So I am not going to be able to do any simulations anytime soon.

Sorry to hear that!

Since the sim is down, do you have any general recommendations or principles that could help with scaling existing plans? For example, scaling a 4 driver parallel 3fe22-16 / 3fe25-16 from an existing 2 driver plan. Thanks!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
In general, if you use drivers with similar moderate high Qts like 0.7 to 0.9 range the scale will be similar to TC9FD and 3FE25. If using lower Qts like 3FE22, the volume needs to be reduced. It’s hard to say what the scaling is because it is a tradeoff between volume and length which is related to Fs and Vas.

I think the easiest thing to do is to search this thread for a driver as close to the one you need in terms of Qts, Fs, Vas.

Then interpolate between two drivers that cover the driver of interest. I must have modeled 100 different drivers here. If someone ever pulls them all together in a spreadsheet that would be a useful design guide to allow eyeball interpolation.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
For 0.53x scale, my favorite is PA130-8, but if you want more highs, the dual 3FE25-16 is excellent. The dual TC9FD will have a bit more bass than the 3FE25.

I think the Karlsonator sounds more refined. The XKi sounds more punchy and is more of a compact cabinet.

I think the DMA 90-8 can work well. It has a nice moderate Qts and I would suspect would work well in a single 0.40x or dual in 0.53x for 4ohm nominal at 91dB at 2.83v.