Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

With the new year this thread just reached 1M views. 🥳

Thanks to GregB for the original design and Freddi for his energy in supporting the revival of the Karlson. A big thanks to everyone who has given this speaker a chance and built it. Hope you are still enjoying your Karlsonator.
Wow. Brilliant.
So far I have only made the mini k from foam board but I love them.
It was my first diyaudio 'thing'.
Currently in use as tv speakers.

Also thank you to GregB and Freddi, but also xrk and everyone who helps people out on this thread.
It is fantastic.

I wonder how many pairs have been made.

Think I may make a set out of hardwood for my workshop, to use a pair of TC9FD I have lying around. Need a nice desktop size and they should fit the bill nicely, as the foamcore ones are getting a little dinged up from age. I now have a pretty good setup for woodworking so looking forward to the challenge :)

With the new year this thread just reached 1M views. 🥳

Thanks to GregB for the original design and Freddi for his energy in supporting the revival of the Karlson. A big thanks to everyone who has given this speaker a chance and built it. Hope you are still enjoying your Karlsonator.

Hey X,

Revisiting after a long hiatus. The .53s with the Daytons are playing right now in the office and sounding great! I have built 1 pair of the .53s and i think 4 or 5 sets of the .4s for kids and friends. Great reviews all around!

The Cornus continue to start conversations at the hangar and sound amazing. Cutting foam got me thru the early pandemic and the results are still paying dividends. Big thanks to you and all the great people here for the inspiration and help!

if anybody is on the fence - just jump in! The value and fun factor is unmatched.

Pete

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sketch up experts,

I can navigate around the views that jhofland posted in the sketchup file. One question: is there a dimensions window that can be opened, or do I take the dimensions from the published pdf for the jhofland design.

Thanks,

MM
I don’t use Sketchup but I would imagine there is a way to pull dimensions. Lacking that, just go with the PDF plans that are published. If your wood thickness is different, maintain internal dimensions. +/-3mm is good enough. Don’t worry it is pretty forgiving.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hey X,

Revisiting after a long hiatus. The .53s with the Daytons are playing right now in the office and sounding great! I have built 1 pair of the .53s and i think 4 or 5 sets of the .4s for kids and friends. Great reviews all around!

The Cornus continue to start conversations at the hangar and sound amazing. Cutting foam got me thru the early pandemic and the results are still paying dividends. Big thanks to you and all the great people here for the inspiration and help!

if anybody is on the fence - just jump in! The value and fun factor is unmatched.

Pete
Thanks for the kind words, Pete! Glad you are having fun and the speakers continue to get compliments at plane hangar. Not too many people can say they made DIY speakers for their airplane hangar. :)

Hello, I was willing to make the 0.40x karlsonator with a single tc9fd, because of how cheap it was on partexpress, only $9, I don't want to spend more than $40, but when I send it they charge me $65, to send it to Spain , how can it be so expensive?, I was amazed, there is no place in Europe where you can buy it cheap?.
Is that since I have invested, I don't know if it is better to do the 0.53x with the dayton PA130-8, any recommendation?
Greetings.

I was recently gifted a pair of 3fe25 and thought that I would make a pair of foam board Karlsonators. I've been looking through this thread for a while trying to find plans for the cabinet. Is this one in the first post the plans for the single 3fe25 version?

Attachments

• Karlsonator_04x_Print.png
    Karlsonator_04x_Print.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 120
I was recently gifted a pair of 3fe25 and thought that I would make a pair of foam board Karlsonators. I've been looking through this thread for a while trying to find plans for the cabinet. Is this one in the first post the plans for the single 3fe25 version?

Yes, that is the 0.40x size for single driver.

X has a Youtube video of it: www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL_twu7TEtQ