Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Hi Guys. I've been laying low for a while now but ready to start experimenting again. I got these four mid/woofs and two tweekers plus their crossovers the other day and looking to put them in something. The mid/woofs are 3" and the tweets are 1". I was thinking about a scaled down Karlson but don't know how to size it. I assumed the tweet would go right above the slot. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 501
  • $_57 (9).JPG
    $_57 (9).JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 110
  • $_57 (8).JPG
    $_57 (8).JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 113
  • $_57 (2).JPG
    $_57 (2).JPG
    310 KB · Views: 455
  • $_57 (1).JPG
    $_57 (1).JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 469
  • $_57 (3).JPG
    $_57 (3).JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 473
  • $_57 (4).JPG
    $_57 (4).JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 476
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Guys. I've been laying low for a while now but ready to start experimenting again. I got these four mid/woofs and two tweekers plus their crossovers the other day and looking to put them in something. The mid/woofs are 3" and the tweets are 1". I was thinking about a scaled down Karlson but don't know how to size it. I assumed the tweet would go right above the slot. Any thoughts?

DJN,
Nice find! Those look like powerful motors, probably Qts in 0.4 range. Can you measure the T/S params? I will design a mini Karlsonator for you based on the measured T/S. Did you ever build that 0.4x desktop mini K'nator?

No X, right around that time, personal matters popped up that are just now settled. I haven't sat and listened to my big system since then either. THis project will mark my return!!! These drivers and xovers are from a Visio Sound Bar. I was supprised at the quality actually. I'll get them measured up Sunday and post the results. Do I need to find the Vas as well???

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, the Vas is needed - use the added weight (modeling clay or coins of known weight) trick.

So that is what is inside a $100 Vizio sound bar? Those things sound good, I am amazed when listening to them at Costco. What is even cooler is they have a built in amp and SPDIF input. Sometimes I wonder why we don't use these as MP3 player "Boomsticks"?

Hi X, got the little buggers all measure up. Here is the WT3 screenshot. Impressive little guys but I hope they will be right for the Karlson. I have a pair of Paradigm MK 3s for my computer system. These Ks will replace those, so that is my target sound to beat.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Vizio dual 3in driver mini Karlsonator

Hi X, got the little buggers all measure up. Here is the WT3 screenshot. Impressive little guys but I hope they will be right for the Karlson. I have a pair of Paradigm MK 3s for my computer system. These Ks will replace those, so that is my target sound to beat.

I think that using these as dual drivers (series for 8 ohms) can work well. Just add the stock tweeter at the top above the narrow slot area. Use the supplied XO and you should be golden. There is quite a bit of bass gain so BSC should not be an issue. The sim assumes they are 12 in away from a back wall and sitting on floor. The scaled size is 0.47x tall & deep, 0.35x wide. Make the K-aperture come to a slot as usual (not a cusp). I hope you will build them, they look like they should sound good.

Freq Response (flat to 60 Hz), note ripples from 300Hz on up are floor/wall bounce cancellation effects:

attachment.php

Cone Displacement:

attachment.php

Impedance:

attachment.php

Attachments

• KTL7A-Vizio3-Freq-1m.png
    KTL7A-Vizio3-Freq-1m.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 553
  • KTL7A-Vizio3-Displ.png
    KTL7A-Vizio3-Displ.png
    27 KB · Views: 561
  • KTL7A-Vizio3-Impedance.png
    KTL7A-Vizio3-Impedance.png
    26 KB · Views: 561
That all looks great X. Sorry for my ignorance, but .47x of what? I looked through this whole thread because I remember reading and seeing the stock dimensions that the scaling is based on, but I can't find it.

We have a SMAC (southeast michigan audio club) meeting at the end of the month and I'd like to get them done by then so they can be auditioned by the group.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
hey X - what do you think of this one?

NoSFAKx.jpg

It's kind of like GregB's Karlsonator but with a shorter stub cavity above the driver. No way to tell unless I modeled the geometry - which, is kind of a pain. Unless you intend to build one and need me to check with a sim first, I will say it is probably close to K'nator... and call it a day. :)