Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Update. I was at the Southeast Michigan Audio Club meeting this past weekend and talk with my friend that makes cabinets as a side job and worked out how to built my Ks with the duel 3" drivers. We are going with 1/2" MDF with a burly maple baffle plate inside that the drivers with mount to, and an overly red mahogany for the outside of the cab. They should look very good when done.

Between our two schedules, we can't get together for a month or so, but with his shop, we should be able to kick them out in a weekend.

More to follow.

hello X- Have you run a sim for the Aura NS3-193-8A? Do you think they would work well in the mini K? I have a pair I'm taking out of an old project and would like to reuse them in wooden box.

On another note: the little ones I made with the Sony drivers is starting to sound not so good now that I have had a chance to compare them to some Harpoons from Wooden Design that I'm working on using the Auras.

cheers

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
hello X- Have you run a sim for the Aura NS3-193-8A? Do you think they would work well in the mini K? I have a pair I'm taking out of an old project and would like to reuse them in wooden box.

On another note: the little ones I made with the Sony drivers is starting to sound not so good now that I have had a chance to compare them to some Harpoons from Wooden Design that I'm working on using the Auras.

cheers

I will run a sim with Aura's when I get a chance. To be fair, you can't compare a salvaged driver with no T/S params for a box that wasn't designed for those drivers with a proper driver in a box designed for them. Maybe the comparison would be the Harpoon with your sony drivers? If you measure the TS on the Sony's I can design a proper mini K box for you.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi xrk971,

I have a pair of 12 inch burman xp5012 speakers, pulled from a guitar amp, that I'm interested in making a Karlson or TL enclosure for. These speakers are 50 watts at 15 ohms. I have been researching and I think they were made by Goodmans. They seem related to the Goodmans audiom 12p-d. Attached is some specs. When you have time, can you do some calculation for me to figure the dimensions for Karlson and TL(and the length of the TL)? Thanks for your help.

I need T/S params if you want me to run a sim for you to size a cabinet.

Generally and very simple - stuffing can increase the apparent internal volume (thereby increasing the low frequency output) of the cabinet as well as provide some dampening of standing waves. (most effective with sealed boxes like subs).
Padding reduces those internal reflections/standing waves in ported/vented boxes but has less impact on internal volume. The design of the speaker cabinet (sealed, vented or horn) will dictate which method is best - and some can benefit from using a combination. This can be a more complex subject with some designs like transmission lines, but those are the two general applications.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Will this headphone amp (below) drive a pair of Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD ?

Little Dot Amplifiers • View topic - Little Dot I+ Hybrid Headphone Amplifier

No. You are in sub 1-watt range and these speakers like at least 8 watts. Try this amp:

Amazon.com: SMSL SA-36A Pro 20WPC TPA3118D2 Digital Amplifier AMP + 24V Power Supply Golden: Electronics

It will drive most fullrange speakers and sounds great stock out of the box.

If you are looking for an excellent headphone amp or pre-amp, check this out:
http://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/

Last edited:
Karlson enclosure for Fostex FE208

Hi xrk971,

When you have time, can you do a sim on a Fostex FE208 for a karlson and TL enclosure? Or whatever will be the best enclosure for this driver. Below are the TS parameters.

Impedance : 8 ohm
Minimum Frequency Response: 45Hz
Reproduction Frequency Response : fo - 20kHz
S.P.L. : : 96.5dB/W (m)
Rated Input : 34W
Music Power : 100w
Equivalent Diaghram Radius : 81mm (3.19 in)
Equivalent Mass : 12g (0.026 lb)
Magnet Weight : 1.7kg (3.86 lb)
Net Weight : 3.8kg (8.38 lb)
Fs : 45 Hz
Re : 6.7 ohm
Qts : 0.21
Qms : 4.03
Qes : 0.23
Vas : 36.9 L
Xmax : 0.75mm(0.029in)
no : 2.03%

I look forward to the results. Thanks.

what is your amp's source impedance? - that will raise qts somewhat.

Carl N. ran 208 Sigma in what he termed "high aspect Karlson" -

Carl's first K-coupler - had to rebuild as 1/2" plywood flexed too much
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img299/8728/chak8x15ug5.jpg

a later testbox - fully curved reflector - vent above the reflector as in the Super 6.5 K-project
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img844/6743/hak8.jpg

FE208 would probably play strong in a classic K12 - there should be a scaling of K15 to work. The Karlsonator is very good and a smart move by Greg B.

what is your amp's source impedance? - that will raise qts somewhat.

Carl N. ran 208 Sigma in what he termed "high aspect Karlson" -

Carl's first K-coupler - had to rebuild as 1/2" plywood flexed too much
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img299/8728/chak8x15ug5.jpg

a later testbox - fully curved reflector - vent above the reflector as in the Super 6.5 K-project
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img844/6743/hak8.jpg

FE208 would probably play strong in a classic K12 - there should be a scaling of K15 to work. The Karlsonator is very good and a smart move by Greg B.

My amp is a sansui au919, 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms.