Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

12mm Baltic birch is suitable for small regular K's - perhaps 9mm for little K- when up to 10 inch size 15mm would be minimum then bracing desirable as transient peaks of 120dB (up close) may be desired. Dowel struts to the wings work as do steel alltread as used by Transylvania Power, KK Audio, Acoustic Control, etc. Really thin Baltic birch plywood would work like a "soundboard" and be far worse I think on music than foamcore.

18mm BB - BOFU
tY9QsI6.jpg

15mm BB - Beta10CX
vnHnxao.jpg

Last edited:
I've been learning some sketchup and created the fullsize Karlsonator as a lasercuttable self-bracing puzzle. It's easy to scale down to 0.63 for 12mm plywood.

The bad thing about lasercutting is that you're stuck with 90 degree angles, so some gaps have to be filled.

I might make a 0.53 version with 6mm plywood and some bracing. 6mm plywood should be stronger than foamboard, right? :) But that will require some resizing of the drawing.

Attachments

• karlsonator 3d.png
    karlsonator 3d.png
    59 KB · Views: 507
  • karlsonator 2d voor laser.png
    karlsonator 2d voor laser.png
    23 KB · Views: 513
  • karlsonator 3d side.png
    karlsonator 3d side.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 502
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi
Thanks again xrk971
I been looking for some info about building in foam.
Is there a tread here ?
Type of foam ?
type of glue ?
Thanks for your patience.

Jan

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/223313-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures.html

In the US we use paper faced foam core poster board from Adams Industries or Elmer's brand.

Post 1 in link shows what it is called in France. Cartouche Mousse.

Hot melt glue sticks and gun for initial tacking. PVA white glue or thicker adhesive from caulking gun for final glue.

Some like expanding Gorilla Glue. Messy.

My favorite lately is Liquid Nails non VOC. Neat, strong and fills gaps. Can be smoothed over with finger tip to make fillet like caulking. Inexpensive.

According to google:

Dutch: schuimkarton
Danish: skumplader

Gluing foam with PVA glue doesn't usually work because the glue takes forever to dry. Like x says, tack glue it first with hot melt glue -- or just do it all with hot melt glue.

If you've got really good joints water based contact cement will work, but it certainly won't fill gaps. Low solvent liquid nails sounds interesting. Presumably there's not enough solvent to melt the foam.

I can't say that I've built speakers with foam, but I have worked with it quite a lot building models and prototypes.

We used to have that Pattex "No more Nails", I didn't use it for speaker construction but it was great to do other stuff with that. Everything I glued with that over 5 years ago is still very strong and doesn't show any sign of getting old.

Trouble is they stopped importing that a couple years ago... I've been searching for a replacement ever since...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Some of you may be looking for a good compact 60 watt amp for your projects. I recently got some TPA3118D2 PBTL monoblocks for $9 ea. They sound excellent and truly can deliver 60 watts into 5ohms (and are stable with 2ohm loads). I used them to drive a 5ohm power resistor load to 17.36v without thermal shutdown. Get this, this amp has no heatsink! It uses the tiny PCB as its heatsink.

More info here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/237086-tpa3116d2-amp-867.html#post4583670

523798d1452316718-tpa3116d2-amp-sanwu-pbtl-2.png

Here is my 4-channel Xmas amp made from a cardboard magnetic snap lid chocolate box.

525359d1452917328-tpa3116d2-amp-tpa3118d2-pbtl-xmas-amp-outside.png

Sounds great, is inexpensive, can be installed inside a speaker without taking any room.

the TPA3118D2 hasn't landed in Taiwan yet... well kinda.

I looked it up on the local sites, and they sell this board for.... wait for it ... $300!

I'm so tempted to write to the seller and ask why, but then the seller would lose face... and that's not good in Asian culture...

Attachments

• 21537644060907_610.jpg
    21537644060907_610.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 427
Yeah, but that looks to be an official TI EVM.
Not Taiwan, because was made in Plano Tx.
Ask me how I know.

Intention is a learning tool for engineers, and
to sell the chip. Not to compete with TI's own
customers who are welcome to make and sell
products for users at a better price.

The store.ti.com price is only $149, not $300.
https://store.ti.com/AddToCart_TI.aspx?p=TPA3118D2EVM

Last edited: