Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Quad 2 inch push-pull Karlsonators(0.48) with wings - (from post 1488)

The second one's drivers has been rearranged to a diamond configuration, following xrk's suggestions. :D

Attachments

• 72_IMG_1735.jpg
    72_IMG_1735.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 797
Well, freddi, to be honest, I can't really tell any difference in sound between the two arrangements(square/diamond)...

Maybe it's due to the fact that the drivers aren't delivering much in the top frequencies.(woofers from Promedia, after all) If there were, I could have perhaps picked up on some differences, but nothing for now...

IMHO, The diamond one looks better, and would probably help high frequencies, but the square one has the merit of being simple... ;)

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

prezden - unfortunately, I didn't do much research on 2 inchers to recommend. I just used them because they were at hand. Sorry I couldn't be much of a help... :eek:

I felt that the drivers I used on this project was somewhat lacking(performance/bass wise) in the first place, so that's why I tried to overcome that limitation by using multiple drivers in a push-pull setup.

But I guess some of the better 2 inch drivers out there will be sufficient enough to drive a K box by itself... :)

It turns out that the cavity formed by the basement windows is exactly tall enough for me to fit the mini K'nator inside. I needed to get the speakers off the floor to keep young fingers from poking holes in the driver cones. Flipped upside down, they can still ceiling load for excellent bass and they carry farther now. Sounds very good and perfect for a rec room party. The translucent nature of foam core makes them very neat looking when backlit. Not too many other speakers look like this when illuminated. I should put color changing LED's inside one of these days...

That's what I did about 45 years ago in my parents pub - a pair of K12's upside down against the ceiling. Worked above expectations.

The Karlsonator is probably as much success and acceptance as anything Karlson has received since ??? :) Thanks to Freddi for his unrelenting appreciation of K-tech, to Greg B for the design and to XRK971 for the Akabak script and foam-core rapid prototyping approach that has attracted some folks.

I think the HAK approach along with a different rear-chamber load makes it usable with smaller drivers in a way not really possible before. I've built a pair of K5, these sure were fun, but not good by any stretch. They could play loud for one thing. Cutoff was ~150Hz, so there was no semblance of bass.

The first account I've witnessed of a sub-8" Karlson being deemed good was AmadeusMozart's HAK6.5 for Fostex FF166EN - he built a fantastic looking pair. He had praise for them and they measured much better than anything Karlson in this size range and even some larger ones.

HAK6.5.GCF.PNG

XK6.5top.jpg

I think the old K-TLs, I can think of two designs by Skip/Lee and perhaps Moray James as well, are supposed to be good too, though I've not read direct accounts AFAIR.

I'll just put this out here again since it seems thematically relevant. A few years back, I adapted the Fostex BK-10 back-load horn into a Karlson-type enclosure.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I conserved the driver chamber Vb, throat area, path length and expansion as well as I could. The K-slot area is about the same as the BK-10 mouth as well. It was never simulated or built. I did build an actual BK-10 out of foam-core though, before it got "all mainstream" too, btw. ;) :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Damping on back 3 mm synthetic felt. Some damping in the slot made a noticeable difference (for the better imho). In the end I left the hole open. Picture taken from the bottom towards the top shows the damping sticking out of the top slot. Drivers were mounted from the back.

Attachments

• IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    361.3 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    566.8 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    600.2 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    426.3 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
dug out the backup of the old gainclone website for the measurements of the HAK 6.5. They were not taken under the best of circumstances - indoors and plaster wallboard, pretty empty room. Upside down on a table against the wall. Shows the effect of opening / closing the hole.

two graphs - one for each speaker. Drivers have not had a lot of use - perhaps 2 hours at low levels so bass will still improve a lot when more hours on them(and did - but lost those graphs). Microphone is a Samson Go-mic and was situated about 50 cm from driver and angled towards the driver. Objective of the test was to determine the impact of the 22mm hole.

OT: If you are using an iPod, iPhone or an Android phone to play your music you may want to check out the Onkyo player (free), it has an excellent EQ. http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/applications/index.html

Attachments

• hak65holeeffect1.jpg
    hak65holeeffect1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 222
  • hak65holeeffect2.jpg
    hak65holeeffect2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
It would cost you $25 in parts to build this thing. A great sounding amp and a bargain. You need a 12v laptop supply.

Online Shop 15W+15W TDA7297 Rev B dual Channel Amplifier Board AC/DC 12V No noise High Power Free shipping|Aliexpress Mobile

It is class AB which may have advantages if you are trying to avoid noise emission for radio signals.

15W-15W-TDA7297-Rev-B-dual-Channel-Amplifier-Board-AC-DC-12V-No-noise-High-Power.jpg_250x250.jpg

noise emission for radio signals = RF = bad for your health

there will also be a dementia epidemic arriving soon:

- microwave ovens kills living cells
- mobile phones have the same frequency as microwave ovens
- radiation of mobile phones enters the brain to more than half of the head width
In other words mobile phone users are slowly cooking their brain cells and once those cells dead they are not going to be revived, ergo dementia.

Have had an employee using a mobile phone for approx. four years - afterwards had to fire him, could no longer do a decent analysis.
About two and a half years ago I warned a local salesman, did not listen (uses the mobile phone about 5 ~ 6 hours a day), now has early dementia and does no longer comprehend more in depth discussions.....

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
noise emission for radio signals = RF = bad for your health

there will also be a dementia epidemic arriving soon:

- microwave ovens kills living cells
- mobile phones have the same frequency as microwave ovens
- radiation of mobile phones enters the brain to more than half of the head width
In other words mobile phone users are slowly cooking their brain cells and once those cells dead they are not going to be revived, ergo dementia.

Have had an employee using a mobile phone for approx. four years - afterwards had to fire him, could no longer do a decent analysis.
About two and a half years ago I warned a local salesman, did not listen (uses the mobile phone about 5 ~ 6 hours a day), now has early dementia and does no longer comprehend more in depth discussions.....

Cell phones, wifi, Bluetooth, cordless phones, hobby RC, wireless video, etc may have a band near the water molecule 2.4GHz absorption (this is the reason the part of the spectrum remains for WiFi and other uses because of nearby water molecule interferences - propagation in open air may be limited and not suitable for long-haul links). However, the absorption is very specific and needs to be specifically tuned to hit it and heat the water.

The use of RF in our lives is now endemic, and I think the more worrisome offenders may actually be cell phone towers nearby with kW of RF power coming out. There are now wifi wars in neighborhoods because so many people have access points and routers it muddies up the spectrum and as a result data transmission speeds are slow due to your router having to do all sorts of error correction to break through the haze. So what do people do? They buy high power routers to overpower their neighbor's background RF noise. There must be 60 wifi access points in my neighborhood when I scan and signal speeds have gone down.

But getting back to RF noise from class D amps - mostly in the 400kHz (harmless to health) range. But use of class AB amps like the TDA7297 or LM3886 will significantly reduce RF noise pickup issues in nearby equipment or audio circuits.

The people you know who went cellphone demented on you - how old are they? Studies of dementia have found closer correlations to people who don't drink coffee. Yes, coffee keeps our brains alert longer - might be that caffeine is one of the most powerful antioxidants, equivalent to eating huge amounts of dark colored berries.

Well this is a bit OT but interesting nonetheless.

Radiation is measured in watts per sq cm, the danger level cited in the 80s was 10mw per. The smaller the radiating aperture the greater the danger. So radiation from towers may or may not be not a problem but a few mw from a cell phone aperture could be a whole 'nother story.

Back to business, will a smartphone drive that little amp? I got a LG Optimus Exceed from Best Buy for $14.99 and bypassed the activation for wifi use only. So my plan is to use it for streaming music with a suitable amp. What is a good source for 12v laptop or other power supply?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Radiation is measured in watts per sq cm, the danger level cited in the 80s was 10mw per. The smaller the radiating aperture the greater the danger. So radiation from towers may or may not be not a problem but a few mw from a cell phone aperture could be a whole 'nother story.

Back to business, will a smartphone drive that little amp? I got a LG Optimus Exceed from Best Buy for $14.99 and bypassed the activation for wifi use only. So my plan is to use it for streaming music with a suitable amp. What is a good source for 12v laptop or other power supply?

Yes, a phone drives that amp just fine.

Hey X,

While I'm waiting on the parts for the Trynergy's I want to cut my teeth on a mini Karlsonator. As you may know I have the Aura ns3's kicking around.

Which of the plans on the first page of this thread should I follow for the Aura?

I wouldn't assume you have a CAD or Adobe file would you?

Thanks as always
Shawn

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hey X,

While I'm waiting on the parts for the Trynergy's I want to cut my teeth on a mini Karlsonator. As you may know I have the Aura ns3's kicking around.

Which of the plans on the first page of this thread should I follow for the Aura?

I wouldn't assume you have a CAD or Adobe file would you?

Thanks as always
Shawn

In post 1, the plans are all linked. Try making the 0.53x with dual NS3's in parallel for higher sensitivity.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...l-tc9fds-karlsonator_.53x_dual_vifa_tc9fd.pdf

If you only want to make a single driver box, make the 0.40x scale one.