Modified Klipsch Heresy inspired build, now with bass!

The part I love is there is almost no Klipsch left! very inspiring job to get the most out of them. You’ve been bitten by the bug niw and will mess with everything you get your hands on!
oh, I was bitten by the bug many, many years ago. I mess with everything!

bikes:
[IMG]
(this began a full-grandpa, 1979 Honda Gold Wing tourer, then I had ideas...)

Guitars:

[IMG]

houses...
food, art... you name it. as a kid, i drove my parents crazy because I took everything apart, just to see how it worked. I can't leave well enough alone, I'm an inveterate tinkerer with an insatiable curiosity. I have a feeling that when I finish these, I might have to do a compact, folded horn or something...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The next step would be to measure them and model the crossover in VituixCAD to see if it can be improved. I don't think the crossovers were the best in old Klipsch speakers, and with the new drivers it's highly likely the crossover isn't as good as it could be.

Achieving accurate measurements is a whole new ball game, but would be worth the effort imo.

Reactions: 1 user
The next step would be to measure them and model the crossover in VituixCAD to see if it can be improved. I don't think the crossovers were the best in old Klipsch speakers, and with the new drivers it's highly likely the crossover isn't as good as it could be.

Achieving accurate measurements is a whole new ball game, but would be worth the effort imo.
I've been relying on the work @claudej12000 did in developing the Baby Cornwall/Super Heresy mods with regard to driver selection and crossovers. He did extensive modeling, testing and analysis and published the results over at the Klipsch forum, where I found them & participated until recently, when the corporate overlords decided that modifying their Heritage speakers was heretical and ran the mod community off. most have landed here or over at Audio Karma. I'm expanding on that slightly, by making the cabinets a little stiffer, but for the most part, I'm standing on the shoulders of others, as this was my first project.

Last edited:
I did a little bit today, I laid veneer for the first time. Here are the motor boards with a little turpentine to make the figuring pop:

[IMG]

[IMG]

I got the sides of the cabinets done, too:
[IMG]

next, I’ll do the nosing, then sand and prep for stain. I’m pretty pleased how this is turning out, especially because I’d never done veneer before. Granted, I’m far from a novice woodworker, but I thought it was going to be more challenging than it’s been. Now I guess I’ve got to pick a color… what would work with bird’s eye maple?

I think that would be interesting, too. I didn't see any mention of crossover mods when replacing the woofer which I would have expected since the Eminence woofer appears to be of significantly higher sensitivity than the original.

I think that would be interesting, too. I didn't see any mention of crossover mods when replacing the woofer which I would have expected since the Eminence woofer appears to be of significantly higher sensitivity than the original.
I can't recall the exact details, but I believe that @claudej12000 used a Type B crossover network because he wanted to emphasize the midrange, but suggested a straight type E network for improved bass emphasis, which is what I did.

• Thank You
It is about 3-4 db more sensitive, yes, that was the whole point since the horns are almost 10 db more sensitive, I was going for the Woofer to try and catch up. I was trying to improve the MIDRANGE performance with the Higher BL/Aluminum Coil/Light Cone WOOFERS, but the bass performance from porting in the rear worked to get an extra 6 db of bass below 100 Hz. where it had a Second Order Rolloff with the sealed K-22. Also, the factory 2.5 Mh inductor never wears out, AND it worked perfectly with the 8 ohm impedance vs. 11 Ohms for the Klipsch K-22. Such an EASY mod/upgrade with Amazingly good results, vs. spending over over $5,000 for other brands that can't even come close to this quality of sound reproduction on very Watts.

I published curves and the old crossovers work just fine, but it's "salt your own soup" kind of thing. What I tell my fellow modder "victims" for the Super Heresy 1.0 and 2.0 (Kappalite HO version) is start with my recipe FIRST, then go play with your own variations. Good advice from @fatmarley, but we all need a Good Starting Point. For most people, that was good enough and they stopped. Working on the ROOM is a much better way to spend your post Super Heresy time, or better yet, rediscovering details in your favorite music, like @gigantic will be doing. I gave the modders 2 different crossovers to try, if they want more, they are free to their own work. Mine has been done for several years on the 2 versions. Salt and Pepper your own soup because I'm on to 4 other projects.

Last edited:
I'm still listening to the modded H700's while I'm building the new enclosures- I just noticed that the woofers finally broke in and I had to readjust my eq curves. WOW! I'm grateful that my condo is well insulated and that there's no-one beneath me, my living room listening area is above the breezeway into the parking coral for the complex. Compared to when I first got these, as well, I imagine, versions 1-3, the bass response is unreal. Sure, my old roommate's Cerwin Vega AT-100's dig deeper, but they don't have nearly as much clarity, definition or dynamic range as the Super Heresies. I'm amazed at what I've gotten for a less than $600 investment in these speakers.

I'm still listening to the modded H700's while I'm building the new enclosures- I just noticed that the woofers finally broke in and I had to readjust my eq curves. WOW! I'm grateful that my condo is well insulated and that there's no-one beneath me, my living room listening area is above the breezeway into the parking coral for the complex. Compared to when I first got these, as well, I imagine, versions 1-3, the bass response is unreal. Sure, my old roommate's Cerwin Vega AT-100's dig deeper, but they don't have nearly as much clarity, definition or dynamic range as the Super Heresies. I'm amazed at what I've gotten for a less than $600 investment in these speakers.
All I ever did was share the joy of the Super Heresy Mods. I'm glad you now have caught some of that joy! And so economically as well!

I can't recall the exact details, but I believe that @claudej12000 used a Type B crossover network because he wanted to emphasize the midrange, but suggested a straight type E network for improved bass emphasis, which is what I did.
Since I added at least 3 db more output, I originally doubled the capacitance in the original E network I got with Heresy 1's because I had to also resolder to different Taps on the Autoformer to compensate for the extra woofer output. It was then I noticed that I, effectively, created a Cornwall B network with the polarities reversed because that is how the E was wired in the Klipsch Factory. I'm working on another pair of Super Heresy 2.0's for myself and will try leaving the E alone and see what the others are talking about since I never tried it like this before.

I think you’ll be pleased.
First order networks are very forgiving. I had plenty of bass after measurements, doing it "by the book" so to speak. It wasn't until I suggested to all the Klipsch Modders to try a Super Heresy WITHOUT changing the taps or the cap values (replacing 40 Year old capacitors with high ESR with new ones with the same uF values was the key to further clarity).

So suggesting that the mod be done incrementally (making the mod even EASIER) resulted in a few people going no further and loving the results, which is something I never did. It will definitely yield a different curve than my originals, but may sound better. Basically, I will follow my own advice and run new curves when done. Besides, this "incomplete" modification vs. the original may end up sounding better, depending on Placement, of course, which is more critical than the mods themselves. We shall see, since I will have both versions to compare against each other.