Modulus-86 build thread

Two LOP-300-30 would be perfect for a Modulus-86 amp. $89 for a pair of them at Mouser versus $118/each for the Connex (including "express" shipping, and assuming you buy two of them like I did a month ago).
Does his SMPS have enough output capacitors to be connected directly to Modulus86 board or it is recommended to have bulky reservoir capacitors (like your Power86 module) between SMPS and Modulus86 (or LM3886DR, as it has similar PS scheme).

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yep. Plenty. In fact, as long as the power supply has sufficiently low output impedance, all the capacitance you really need is on the Modulus-86 board itself.

The regulated power supplies, such as the LOP series, tend to have very low output impedance, i.e., the output voltage hardly varies as the load current varies.

Tom

Reactions: 1 user
Looking at your feedback resistor measurements with interest.

Maybe for the fun of it, measure a resistor both ways? Possibly with phase? :)
Reluctantly I found a difference mounting them low impedance node to high impedance node or the other way around. But I cannot measure anything noteworthy with my limited equipment.

Tom, are wirewound resistors suitable for a feedback network? As far as I know these are µH inductors (if not specially wound). At 20 kΩ the resistive part surely is dominant, but does it extend well in frequency? I suppose a 1 kΩ resistor does peak in the impedance graph?

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Maybe for the fun of it, measure a resistor both ways? Possibly with phase?
Possibly with phase? I don't know what you mean.

are wirewound resistors suitable for a feedback network?
Not really. They can result in instability due to their inductance. But there are non-inductive (or low-inductive) types out there. I'm not sure I'd use those either, but it was cheap to try.

Tom