Munich High end 2022

Mrklinky
You touched a crucial topic. I agree with you and disagree, Here are my thoughts:
As I do with you, but thank you for your great post with pertinent and well-observed comments!
-Munich high end was full with innovations, new materials, and creative minds. Many of the creators had not one but few new patents invented by them. Expensive ****, having a patent..
A part from paper cones and its 1000 variations there were countless other new materials on display... Some that come to my mind are from serious companys, such as: Dali, Rhaido, Bóresson...
Patents are often touted as some spectacular selling point, but if you peruse a good few of these you might see how pointless and useless so many of them actually are; many are simply 'covering the bases' so to speak, just in case...
-tallking about listening to speakers behind a curtain is for me irrelevant, since as most of us I enjoy and value beautiful Form.
And talking about beautiful Form, Munich inner city was full with gorgeous women!!! The last thing I would do is to put a curtain on them 😀
Just Imagine having one night stand while trying to tell the poor girl to put a curtain on since it's distracting your other senses 🙃
Dude, it is part of the package!
I'd rather wed an average-looking sweetie than a stunning bitch! Similarly speaker-wise, I guess it sometimes depends upon expectation bias, bragging rights, and impressing the neighbours when it comes to appearance. I'd rather have a pair of sonically superior speakers in tatty bare plywood than any amount of rosewood and piano finish black gloss and so-so drivers. Each to their own, and I completely understand those who aspire to things of beauty.
- After listening to those super modern stuff, space age carbon, diamond coated beryllium... you seat there in front of an outdated 50 years old huge paper cones+Horns... and it's just magic! If in any case it's having an ugly kitschy veneer I'll order something more elegent. If it's costing gazillion euro, then I'll just built my own
I'll revise my original comment to '...electromagnetically driven pseudo-pistons, regardless of material'.
- BTW, I hate the word Audiofools.
In my world it certainly has its place, especially when you meet a particularly disagreeable and ignorant (of electroacoustics) one of them face-to-face...

Reactions: 1 users
As I do with you, but thank you for your great post with pertinent and well-observed comments!

Patents are often touted as some spectacular selling point, but if you peruse a good few of these you might see how pointless and useless so many of them actually are; many are simply 'covering the bases' so to speak, just in case...

I'd rather wed an average-looking sweetie than a stunning bitch! Similarly speaker-wise, I guess it sometimes depends upon expectation bias, bragging rights, and impressing the neighbours when it comes to appearance. I'd rather have a pair of sonically superior speakers in tatty bare plywood than any amount of rosewood and piano finish black gloss and so-so drivers. Each to their own, and I completely understand those who aspire to things of beauty.

I'll revise my original comment to '...electromagnetically driven pseudo-pistons, regardless of material'.

In my world it certainly has its place, especially when you meet a particularly disagreeable and ignorant (of electroacoustics) one of them face-to-face...
Fantastic comments mate, thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely, prices are ridiculous. That's why we are the non-audiofools having a laugh at audio shows... but, nevertheless, those guys who are spinning this weird world of High End are not getting rich from it...With few exceptions...

Given the low barrier to entry I suspect it is more about steadily building the brand and providing the ultra wealthy with what they want in terms of support. The Wilson company being a good example of this. It took a long steady effort to build what is presumably a fairly lucrative business with what seems to be a significant share of the available market (not that I know much about it!). I expect the straightforward engineering part that we can see of putting some drivers in painted boxes is a relatively unimportant part of a successful ultra-fi business. Can anyone think of examples of brands rapidly capturing a significant chunk of the high end market?

Given the low barrier to entry I suspect it is more about steadily building the brand and providing the ultra wealthy with what they want in terms of support. The Wilson company being a good example of this. It took a long steady effort to build what is presumably a fairly lucrative business with what seems to be a significant share of the available market (not that I know much about it!). I expect the straightforward engineering part that we can see of putting some drivers in painted boxes is a relatively unimportant part of a successful ultra-fi business. Can anyone think of examples of brands rapidly capturing a significant chunk of the high end market?
Magico is a good example of rapid growth. I talked to Alon Wolf about it some 3 years ago, asking him about getting into hifi. To my surprise he replied that if getting rich is main motivation, then I should look elsewhere... most of the money he made as a company were eaten by investment in machinery. I met many CEOs in Munich, very friendly, slightly crazy 🤪 yet honestly passionate about their doing, best example- Lawrence Dickie from Vivid Audio. Such a cool hobby 😌

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the inspiration!

What amplifiers are driving the Audiaz speakers? They look like they have the heat sinks and meters from Pass Labs....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 14.22.25.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 14.22.25.png
    840.4 KB · Views: 156
Thanks for the update. Their website says Hall 3 No.9 if that means anything ?

You would recognise them, they look like this -

View attachment 1057349
The more I look at these speakers (the center is just fine) the less I understand how it's going to work... mids firing seemingly to all directions, tweeters mounted high in the sky. Woofers have practically no volume. It does seems like someone trying to make a speaker, and his main inspiration is the female (pregnant) human body. I guess that its still on the CAD DRAWING