• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My first preamp with tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The LED serves to bias the grid. It replaces the cathode R and bypass C

220px-%2B-_of_LED_2.svg.png

Connect the anode to the tube's cathode and the led's cathode to ground.

Have a good listen and report back if you like.

Ciao, ;)

ok cool. Nice pic :)

Can i still measure voltage across this as with a resistor?

And is the other 330R then setting the total bias or how does it work? :confused: I mean how can i then decide current draw from tube, if i want "hotter" biased if not?

OK but i will for sure try today (within couple of hours or so)

My DIY classD amp for bass is broken in one channel little bit so hard time to give it a serious listening. (Iraud550)

EDIT: Is'nt possible to use a blue led instead?

Last edited:
ok cool. Nice pic :)

And is the other 330R then setting the total bias or how does it work? :confused: I mean how can i then decide current draw from tube, if i want "hotter" biased if not?

OK but i will for sure try today (within couple of hours or so)

My DIY classD amp for bass is broken in one channel little bit so hard time to give it a serious listening. (Iraud550)

Blue LEDs have a voltage drop of about 3.2V, RED has a drop of 1.6V. These voltages represent the bias point the circuit will use which in this case will represent about half the current for a Blue LED.

LED bias works on the principle that a LED will produce a fixed voltage drop but with a very low static resistance, typically a few ohms. Since the triode multiplies the cathode resistance by its mu to create its own dynamic resistance, the difference between an unbypassed cathode resistor and an LED would be substantially different output impedance.

As an example, given a 12 mu and 1K plate resistance. the output resistance would be;

LED bias = 1000R +(2R x 12) = 1024R
Unbypassed cathode resistor = 1000R + (330R x 12) = 4960R
Bypassed cathode resistor = 1000R + (0.1R x12) =1001.2R

As can be seen, the LED is roughly comparable to a bypassed cathode resistor.

An unbypassed cathode resistor represents a form of degenerative local feedback - so should be more linear in operation. The absence of this local feedback will be the primary reason why the two biasing systems sound different in tone - and some feel the more clinical presentation of the LED bias not to be to their liking.

Shoog

Last edited:

Measure the voltage drop on the LED and on cathode resistance, and adjust the value of that resistance, for a cheap red LED should be something around 270 Ω.

Green LEDs and blue LEDs are more noisy than red LEDs.
Try a cheap red LED (red body) instead of high efficiency red LED (transparent body)

An unbypassed cathode resistor represents a form of degenerative local feedback - so should be more linear in operation.

Totally agree.
This is an ideal situation here, because of high μ of the triode, you will reach lower distortion, lower noise and lower gain with unbypassed version.

ok soldered leds in place, nice red shine now. Didn't have time to listen yet. Warming up :D

Voltage drop over led is 1.89V (cheap chinese i guess,red coloured case) and section two (triod 2) with resistor is 1,6V. that makes 4,7mA vs 6.7mA.

Should i even this two out so both are about the same or?

Thx for good info above.

Listening 3 hours now. Sound is very "naked" and open with lots of details. Soundstage is tight n big.

Gain is higher, atleast feels that way.

I feel biggest difference is to be found in the treble. Almost electrostatic sounding.. Led seems to favor good recordings, on bad/worse treble can be little harsh.

If the color/brightness of the LEDs bothers you, you can also use other types of diodes for bias. I use Cree SiC Schottky diodes to bias the input tube in my Midlife Crisis amp and in another preamp I've made; each diode has a forward voltage (Vf) of 0.8 - 0.9V, so two in series should give ~1.7V. I find the sound to be very clean and clear.

I plotted the Vf vs current a while ago, attached is the plot. Dynamic resistance is very low, lower than most LEDs, actually.

Attachments

• Cree_SiC_Vf_vs_If_plot1 Compressed.jpg
    Cree_SiC_Vf_vs_If_plot1 Compressed.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 198
Today something very interesting happened.....:h_ache:

After playing music for about 3-4 hours and enjoying it it suddenly came a small "poowwff" and i saw my red leds die out slowly... hmmmm i thought.

I thought maybe my beloved rectifier died and i thought, *nice that my transformer did'nt blow up then* ;) Checked fuse on 230V line secondary to rectifier. Looked ok.

Anyway, replaced that russian rectifier with the old chinese 6z4 and turned it on - dead... oops forgot to check fuse in the back. AND that one was broken (0.5A)

Replaced it and fired it up again.... And out came a stinky fart smell similar to that if you ever burnt a voice coil. I instantly turned it off and located this bad smell to my BELOVED CHINESE CRAP TRANSFORMER.

So i guess some of you were right, it was a "bad" one.

So i'm looking for a replacement. A hammond seems to be easy to get from Helsinki for me. But which one, same as my finnish friend, Hammond 370BX?

Hammond Mfg. - Universal Primary - "Classic" Power Transformers

I took away xformer and measured little...

Both 6.3V shows 0.05ohm (as before)

230-0-230 =
First 230 to centertap = 107ohm
Second 230 to centertap shows 157(?)
and from 230 to 230 i get 57 ohms.... that was before i think 477ohms.

And primary i'm not sure if i measured before but now i get 55 ohms.

I can't figure out what has caused this... been checking around but everything seems to be fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.