My New VAS Topology

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys

Instead of miller, have you tried comp from the VAS output back to the feedback summing node? To me, this would be intuitive given the inverting gain structure. This might require a further RC from VAS input to the +15V supply, or across the diff amp collectors.

I'm sure you guys know better than I, but is it possible that the TMC and Cherry feedback might be in conflict coming back to the same point (VAS input)?

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Here it is, without the Cordell models. You may have to replace the diodes first, I haven't used your bx84 lib yet.
Can't run fourier analysis as amplifier in this configuration using my zener lib is oscillating. Are you able to provide the part libraries too (used zeners ...)?
For sharing simulations using LTSpice it would be good if we could all use the same models...

BR, Toni

Code:
.model BZX84C3V0L D(Is=1.5n Rs=.5 Cjo=185p nbv=3 bv=3.0 Ibv=1m Vpk=3.0 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
.model BZX84C4V7L D(Is=1.5n Rs=.5 Cjo=185p nbv=3 bv=4.7 Ibv=1m Vpk=4.7 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
.model BZX84C5V1L D(Is=1.5n Rs=.5 Cjo=185p nbv=3 bv=5.1 Ibv=1m Vpk=5.1 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
.model BZX84C5V6L D(Is=1.5n Rs=.5 Cjo=185p nbv=3 bv=5.6 Ibv=1m Vpk=5.6 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
.model BZX84C6V2L D(Is=1.5n Rs=.5 Cjo=185p nbv=3 bv=6.2 Ibv=1m Vpk=6.2 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
.model BZX84C8V2L D(Is=.8n Rs=.5 Cjo=135p nbv=3 bv=8.2 Ibv=1m Vpk=8.2 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
.model BZX84C10L D(Is=.6n Rs=.5 Cjo=150p nbv=5 bv=10 Ibv=1m Vpk=10 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
.model BZX84C12L D(Is=.6n Rs=.5 Cjo=150p nbv=5 bv=12 Ibv=1m Vpk=12 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
.model BZX84C15L D(Is=.6n Rs=.5 Cjo=110p nbv=6 bv=15 Ibv=1m Vpk=15 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
.model BZX84C27L D(Is=.6n Rs=.5 Cjo=110p nbv=6 bv=27 Ibv=1m Vpk=27 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
.model BZX84C36L D(Is=.6n Rs=.5 Cjo=110p nbv=6 bv=36 Ibv=1m Vpk=36 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
.model BZX84C39L D(Is=.6n Rs=.5 Cjo=110p nbv=6 bv=39 Ibv=1m Vpk=39 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
.model BZX84C43L D(Is=.6n Rs=.5 Cjo=110p nbv=6 bv=43 Ibv=1m Vpk=43 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
.model BZX84C62L D(Is=.6n Rs=.5 Cjo=110p nbv=6 bv=62 Ibv=1m Vpk=62 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
.model BZX84C51L D(Is=.6n Rs=.5 Cjo=110p nbv=6 bv=51 Ibv=1m Vpk=51 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
.model BZX84C75L D(Is=.6n Rs=.5 Cjo=110p nbv=6 bv=75 Ibv=1m Vpk=75 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
.model BZX84C82L D(Is=.6n Rs=.5 Cjo=110p nbv=6 bv=82 Ibv=1m Vpk=82 mfg=OnSemi type=Zener)
Here :) As you can see, a copy/paste job on the few zeners that came with LTspice.

Wouldn't it be better for me to use the BZX84 library instead?

Hi Guys

Instead of miller, have you tried comp from the VAS output back to the feedback summing node? To me, this would be intuitive given the inverting gain structure. This might require a further RC from VAS input to the +15V supply, or across the diff amp collectors.
I tried this but then it's impossible to get it stable. There's too much gain and propagation delay to keep operating at a high frequency.
I'm sure you guys know better than I, but is it possible that the TMC and Cherry feedback might be in conflict coming back to the same point (VAS input)?

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor
I'm not sure whether they were conflicting - C31, the Cherry cap is a mandatory need to preserve stability and bandwidth and didn't have adverse effects on changing TMC values. It all depends on whether the VAS output or OPS output feedback is dominant with frequency.

However, now that I have my output inductor network, I learned that I could remove the TMC compensation completely and still retain stability for various capacitive loads. THD20K (100W/8Ohm) is 0.000038% now. I think that's as best as I can get it without compromizing stability further.

I'm sure dadod's output stage is more advanced and performs better than this MOSFET OPS. Perhaps there's some to gain there :)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yeah it is. You mean the FFT you get when you choose the menu item "FFT" in the plotwindow after running a transient?
Found the problem - a simple naming error. Now all sims are working correctly.

Attached is your original schematic with some added functions.
The label "x" at output has been moved back to the tianprobe junctions and the label "output" marks now the speaker output.

A quick THD20k@100W@8R shows:
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.000640%
Think it's now time for you to create a prototype to verify simulations. ;)

BR, Toni

Attachments

• magicbox_thd.png
    magicbox_thd.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 241
  • VAS2_LG_modified.asc
    23.5 KB · Views: 62
Yeah I had placed back the 'x' label in my schematic too, it got moved when I added the output filter.

It really depends on the amounts of compensation what the THD will be. It can range from sub-ppm to horrific 0.1% THD.

When trying to strike a balance between stability and THD, I end up with similar numbers. I've come to the conclusion that the TMC network is mandatory to iron out instabilities with certain C loads. However, I'm not letting the TMC dominate much over the Cherry feedback less THD goes down the drain again.

I should try the circuit with a different OPS. Either faster mosfets or move to a BJT output stage.

Suspect BJTs will provide lower THD.

Have you tried a diamond triple MOSFET output? I found it gives good results in simulation.

I haven't tried it yet, you have a reference on how to implement this? I suspect BJTs can yield lower THD. The annoying thing with MOSFET OPS is the severe Vgs modulation that the VAS has to cope with. I would guess Vbe modulation would be significantly less. (Vgs can go up a number of volts with decent output currents).

Edit: I searched Mouser, looking under 'e' to find ideal OPS blocks but no luck o_O

Last edited:
If you are impatient I use a diamond stage in my attempt at amplifier design number 2. You could copy from there. But If you can wait I'll post up an .asc on that thread after work then you could graft the whole output stage onto your VAS.

Edit: My updated version of the diamond buffer can be configured to not use these devices the A1381/C3503 devices.

Last edited:
I haven't tried it yet, you have a reference on how to implement this? I suspect BJTs can yield lower THD. The annoying thing with MOSFET OPS is the severe Vgs modulation that the VAS has to cope with. I would guess Vbe modulation would be significantly less. (Vgs can go up a number of volts with decent output currents).

Edit: I searched Mouser, looking under 'e' to find ideal OPS blocks but no luck o_O

Try this HEC OPS http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/238252-odnf-no-gnfb-power-amp-6.html#post3550195

Thank you both of you guys for sharing your work with me :) It'll be interesting to see how the different output stages will work out. I'll start working on that later today.

Meanwhile I've been tinkering with the compensation networks some more (this stuff can keep you busy for hours lol) and now came up with a version that retains stability with a much less drastic impact on THD, which is now 0.000070% for the schematic posted.

It drops TMC for TPC which, in combination with the Cherry cap (that mostly keeps phase in check) seems to work pretty well. I've added LG plots for the different compensations and then combines them. All tests were done with a 100nF zero R cap. I don't think I can get it much better :)

Well. Time to try a different OPS and see how that goes!

Attachments

• VAS-Circuit.png
    VAS-Circuit.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 289
  • VAS_NoComp.png
    VAS_NoComp.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 287
  • VAS_Cherry.png
    VAS_Cherry.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 271
  • VAS_TPC.png
    VAS_TPC.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 233
  • VAS_CherryTPC.png
    VAS_CherryTPC.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 234
Meanwhile I've been tinkering with the compensation networks some more (this stuff can keep you busy for hours lol) and now came up with a version

I know what you mean about the compensation. It is critical to get it right giving the right balance between GM/PM/THD. I have spent many hours trying different things myself. I like TMC + Shunt compensation myself.

I will isolate my version of the x triple output stage and change the mosfet models to the same ones as you use (Bob Cordell's) to make it an easy copy and paste job. Will post it in this later on.

Paul

Last edited:
Have you checked PM? It seems to be very very low. About 7 degree ...
The last graph is -157 degrees through 0dB, with this illusive 100n and 0 ESR cap as load. No matter how I modify loads, I can't make it unstable by looking at the LG with various loads (that is, have a -180 degrees turn before 0dB where OLG=CLG. I'm not sure if that qualifies as stable-in-practice ;)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The last graph is -157 degrees through 0dB, with this illusive 100n and 0 ESR cap as load. No matter how I modify loads, I can't make it unstable by looking at the LG with various loads (that is, have a -180 degrees turn before 0dB where OLG=CLG. I'm not sure if that qualifies as stable-in-practice ;)
For amplifier design I would recommend PM about 60 degree and GM > 6 dB. The absolutely minimum for PM should be > 45 degree.
BTW would it be possible for you to provide the latest asc (;)) as after adding your new tpc values I have simulated only 7 degree PM which is not the same as your values. Maybe I have overlooked a new/changed value ...
Just to be sure: I am running LTSpice 4.18m from 2013.07.13

BR, Toni

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.