NOS TDA1541 + D1 I/V & output stage

If you don't have any TDA1541A, then I would go with this:

diyhifisupply TDA1541A R1
No supply as of now. I have a Bryston BDA-1. a very good DAC. I know Dennis uses the BDA-3. but I would really like to try an opamp and NOS free alternative, and maybe most importantly: build it myself. I have been looking at the Zen I/V and D1 for a couple of years allready. First step is to gather some parts :)

Thanks so much for the link!

Regards,
Andy

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Just make sure and not confuse tda1541 and tda1541a. The ‘A’ is a later version. Within the tda1541a family, you have ‘R’, standard non-marked, and S1 (in order of performance).

edit forgot S2, though it’s very hard to come by

Last edited:
Just make sure and not confuse tda1541 and tda1541a. The ‘A’ is a later version. Within the tda1541a family, you have ‘R’, standard non-marked, and S1 (in order of performance).

edit forgot S2, though it’s very hard to come by
Thanks for that. Prices in Ben’s link seem reasonable. I found and S2 on eBay, @ more than 500 dollars. Won’t be doing that.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
From ebay, it may not be genuine.

Even the regular $100 TDA1541A on ebay may be fake.

The $35 TDA1541A R1 is from a known dealer.

I would say that the regular A chip at $100, even if it is genuine, would not be three times better than the $35 R1. Some may not even be able to hear any difference.

I would also say that the S1 is not multiple times better than the regular A chip. The difference in sound is subtle. Some even say that the regular Taiwan TDA1541A is better than the Dutch S1.

Having a dac with a R1 chip is way better than not having a TDA1541A dac at all. You can always upgrade if a higher grade chip becomes available at a reasonable price in the future. Or you may be so happy with the R1 that you see no need to upgrade. :)

TDA1541A Grades

Reactions: 1 users
From ebay, it may not be genuine.

Even the regular $100 TDA1541A on ebay may be fake.

The $35 TDA1541A R1 is from a known dealer.

I would say that the regular A chip at $100, even if it is genuine, would not be three times better than the $35 R1. Some may not even be able to hear any difference.

I would also say that the S1 is not multiple times better than the regular A chip. The difference in sound is subtle. Some even say that the regular Taiwan TDA1541A is better than the Dutch S1.

Having a dac with a R1 chip is way better than not having a TDA1541A dac at all. You can always upgrade if a higher grade chip becomes available at a reasonable price in the future. Or you may be so happy with the R1 that you see no need to upgrade. :)

TDA1541A Grades
wise. Thank you!!

Joined 2019
Paid Member
That’s been my experience too. I have an S1 and a regular A, and the S1 is only slightly better. In fact, I’ve been thinking about picking up one of those R’s just to do a full side by side comparison.

At 0db they’re all nearly the same THD. It’s only when the digital signal is attenuated heavily that you see any significant differences in THD.

Reactions: 1 users
That’s been my experience too. I have an S1 and a regular A, and the S1 is only slightly better. In fact, I’ve been thinking about picking up one of those R’s just to do a full side by side comparison.

At 0db they’re all nearly the same THD. It’s only when the digital signal is attenuated heavily that you see any significant differences in THD.
I believe its more to do with the board design & implementation. I hear vast difference between A vs S1 on my Aya dac. Fellow diyer did not like the sound of Taiwan 1541 on his Aya

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I believe its more to do with the board design & implementation. I hear vast difference between A vs S1 on my Aya dac. Fellow diyer did not like the sound of Taiwan 1541 on his Aya
Does the Aya reclock DEM? The Miro board uses the IC’s oscillator and external capacitor, but I’ve also tried an outboard DEM reclocker. With that, I would say the differences became more apparent.