• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

O2 Headphone Amplifier GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jesus that is insane pricing.

I'll get a quote from them just to double check....

I heard a lot of good things about Seeedstudio including experiences from a co-worker of mine

I did a quick calculation in their store pcb calculator:

PCB Qty. - 100
Layer - 2
PCB Thickness - 2.0mm
PCB Dimension - 10cm Max*10cm Max
PCB Color - Green
Surface Finish - Hasl
E-Test - 100% E-test

Total Items: 2 Weight: 770Gram Amount: $269.80

I gues the boards will still be available for some time, right?

I'm not quite sure what you mean? After this group buy I don't know when another would be (or when someone will just buy a whole load of stock). If there are any surplus boards left over from this GB they will probably be snapped up very quickly.

If I were you I would get a board now and worry about parts later ;)

I heard a lot of good things about Seeedstudio including experiences from a co-worker of mine

I did a quick calculation in their store pcb calculator:

PCB Qty. - 100
Layer - 2
PCB Thickness - 2.0mm
Amount: $269.80

Note! 2mm won't work. It has to be 1.6 mm (the normal thickness of 0.062 in) or possibly less.

For volumes of 100 that's a competitive price out of China. But, to be honest, Olli is probably better off using a board vendor directly. I think Seeedstudio just subcontracts the work out. And, in my experience, sometimes you do get quite what you ordered as it ends up merged with another job with somewhat different specs, etc. For a prototype that's not usually a huge problem. But for production boards in 100+ quantities you shouldn't have to make any compromises.

And, despite the page still being up on their website, it's my understanding they're getting out of the bare PC board business as it didn't turn out to be profitable for them.

Note! 2mm won't work. It has to be 1.6 mm (the normal thickness of 0.062 in) or possibly less.

For volumes of 100 that's a competitive price out of China. But, to be honest, Olli is probably better off using a board vendor directly. I think Seeedstudio just subcontracts the work out. And, in my experience, sometimes you do get quite what you ordered as it ends up merged with another job with somewhat different specs, etc. For a prototype that's not usually a huge problem. But for production boards in 100+ quantities you shouldn't have to make any compromises.

And, despite the page still being up on their website, it's my understanding they're getting out of the bare PC board business as it didn't turn out to be profitable for them.

I see. The 1.6 mm is $50 less. So it should work for your prototypes. For 10 boards is $25 and 5 bucks shipping to the US...
Is 1.6mm because of the case?

I see. The 1.6 mm is $50 less. So it should work for your prototypes. For 10 boards is $25 and 5 bucks shipping to the US...
Is 1.6mm because of the case?
Feel free to check with them, but as I said, Seeestudio informed me they're getting out of the bare board business.

Their original idea was to make a batch of boards, send some to the designer, and keep some for sale on their website. Their profit was to come from selling the individual boards on their website at a profit. But, AFAIK, they've discontinued all sales of bare boards in favor of kits/assembled boards.

If someone finds out something different, please let me know?

In regards to the discussion about board vendors - I posted only two of the several that have become available recently. The idea behind these vendors is not profiting from single board sale; rather, as they all do large PCB orders anyway, they simply tack your order onto a larger order, and so they can charge very little for your boards. It's sort of a perpetual GB, but whole companies are participating too.
Regardless of what seeed may or may not be doing, iteadstudio is definitely in the business and here to stay, and their prices are rather better anyway.
@zeffa and any other Aussies interested in a GB... I'll get a form up in a few minutes for you to register interest.

EDIT: The form is up at http://bit.ly/o2-au-GB - any Aussies interested please register your interest here. Cheers!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.