Official M2 schematic

I did a short A/B session with my favorite amplifier comparing it to this M2. Out of the 11 amps I have built, assembled, the last few years this is by far my new favorite. The one I was primarily listening to with my horns before building the M2 was a very good SET. The SET does have a remarkably smooth mid but the M2 is smooth in the mids also but the SET seems to be slow and what others call syrupy compared to this SS amp. The sound stage is comparable with a slight edge to the SET but then SET's are known to shine in the deep and broad sound stage.

I remember it was an Antek 20 V instead of 18V because they were out of 18V when I built mine. The W was 400 or 500 and I am fairly certain 500. The cap bank is 66,000 per bank 6 22,000 uh caps total. And yes it is a common PSU. I just replaced boards with the M2, the reason for memory loss. It has been awhile since I originally built the amp.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
to wdecho and tyimo

my fave solution is dual mono PSU approach :

250 to 300VA Donut , 2x 33mF/25V caps per rail , speaking - per channel

that way channel separation is better , so having not just better controlled bass ,but also cleaner rest of spectrum

result - deeper soundstage and more authoritative sound

I thought as much. I built my 6CB5A amp with a single big dual power transformer with 2 separate PS sections. In a sense mono amps with single PS transformer. What size case did you stick all this in? One of my FW is in a 4U case and the other in a homemade case made from heat sinks I bought off of Ebay.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Zen Mod!

What do you suggest for connecting two transformers to mains voltage? (Dual mono amplifier in one case)
Independent switches, fuses and thermistors for both transformers or one of each is enough after the mains connector?

Greets:
Tyimo

IEC mains inlet , switch - common for both Donuts

then mains fuse and CL60 soft start per Donut

Joined 2003
Paid Member
IEC mains inlet , switch - common for both Donuts

then mains fuse and CL60 soft start per Donut

The store chassis limits this idea a little, as well as the dual power supply thing. The 4U. chassis just does not have sufficient room for two power supplies. One could go to the 5U, IT DOES! I used a 500VA Antek and 8 33,000 uF caps. The store chassis comes with an iec device in their back panel parts kit, which has fusing built in. Again, one could use a different one with switch only, and have dual fusing.

I thought about using single transformer, but 2 of the 8 cap 33,000 uF boards, fitting one in my normal location and the othe mounted on front panel. Then needing 4 diode bridges instead of 2..

probably good idea to go with 5U, would allow more bias anywho...

Russellc