Open Baffle Bass Boost: +4 to +7dB w/ Passive Xover, No DSP

@perrymarshall

I am using 2 no eminence alpha 15A in parallel with FR. Would I be able to use this circuit with 4ohms or shall I do series and make 16ohms and try it out?
I'll assume you mean you're running the 15As as bass with a Full Range as a mid tweeter.

You would make the series vs parallel decision based on the sensitivity of the full range. Series if your FR is ~95dB. Parallel if your FR is ~101dB.

You can use a Passive Bass Boost circuit either way, but with some low impedance cautions. If you wire them in series then you use this circuit and double the inductor values and halve the capacitor values. If you wire them in parallel then you double the capacitor values and halve the inductor values.

The low impedance caution is that the 8 ohm woofer in this circuit has a 3 ohm minimum. Those woofers in parallel would dip down to 1.5 ohms, so you need an amp that can handle that.

You should simulate this on VituixCad or similar software before you build, if you possibly can.

Reactions: 1 user
I've tried similar with small Karlson ("K12 size") boxes but lower Q woofer - A Samson amplifier could almost "ratchet" if driven hard on a drum beat with Kappa12A - ~600uF/20mH. I remember nearby pliers to the steel laminate core "singing along"

This technique sounds like a great thing to do with open baffle when applied properly. Back in the day when things were cheap, Goldwood's GW1858 made a good open baffle woofer and its low mass shook the frame a lot less than a Pyle 21".

Reactions: 1 users