Papa’s slot loaded open baffle version #2

as I said, choice of FR is more critical than choice of amp for woof

any of FW format with Cojones will serve

FR, Alpair is gem, but this is story about sensitive and efficient drivers

if ya wanna chest and throat, 8" FR is minimal one

heck, you can even put 10" or 12" or 15" Tann as OB main driver and stay in same realm as with FR being on OB, helped with boomer in slot
:worship:

Joined 2013
Paid Member
On 5/31/2020 wg45 sent me the info on the SLOB v2.0, my one and only woodworking project was a pair of sealed enclosures for Utah 8" drivers. The plans were included with the drivers, I made them in high school shop class several lifetimes ago. Since I don't own the necessary tools/equipment nor have the skills for this project, a neighbor was kind enough to help (he did all the skilled work, I sanded, glued and cleaned up).
I used Eminence 4015 ULF woofers and Cube FC-8 FR drivers, so here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2465.JPG
    IMG_2465.JPG
    519.3 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_2468.JPG
    IMG_2468.JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2464.JPG
    389.3 KB · Views: 302
Reactions: 11 users
What is the sound impression of these speakers with Cube FR?
Are high frequencies "good enough"?
What about blending with woofer?
I have not read the thread in details and don't know the data sheet of Cubes to have an idea of optimal crossover frequency?

Is this version of the slot loaded OB considered a "little brother" of the other version that has the slot horizontal with with a number of smaller woofers?

Joined 2013
Paid Member
What is the sound impression of these speakers with Cube FR?
Are high frequencies "good enough"?
What about blending with woofer?
I have not read the thread in details and don't know the data sheet of Cubes to have an idea of optimal crossover frequency?

Is this version of the slot loaded OB considered a "little brother" of the other version that has the slot horizontal with with a number of smaller woofers?
1 - Have not had enough time to listen to them yet, still have Lowther PM2A's in main system. I'm waiting until after BAF 2022 to learn about measuring speakers.
2 - Sounded good to me the little I listened to them.
3 - I built a 6-24 active crossover for these speakers, could take me most of the winter to "dial" them in.
4 - I'm using 150Hz as the crossover frequency, not sure if anyone else used the Cube's. The Speaker camp used Moth FR drivers, living in Wisconsin limits my participation attending the west coast events.
5 - The thread is called SLOB v2, so that's what I call them.

edit, bad spelling

The one I was thinking about is this one with vertical slot:
https://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_slob.pdf
This is probably v1 and v2 a further development?
V2 seem more simple to built. I was impressed by the v1 low end measurement as it goes quite deep. Even at 20 Hz there is some "output".
V1 could probably also work the the Cube but if V2 has same performance it is easier to built. The baffle of v1 looks larger than v2 and this could make a difference for the low end.
Wonder if Nelson is still using his L300.......just to be totally off topic :)
Think many would like a pair of those.....

ResisterClone
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Here's the info on my ACN/LX Mini set up for Papa's SLOB.

I've attached two documents- (no idea why they are upside down- saved correctly.)

1. The ACN crossover schematic with updated values hand written.
2. The file of the crossover slope with updated values on the right, but it is not a complete schematic. Use the complete schematic with the hand written values.

Schematic changes from original values-

For the low pass-
R1/3 to 10K ohm
R25/26 to 22K ohm
R27/29 to 22K ohm

For the High Pass-
C4/8 to 47NF
C3/7 to 47NF
R2/4 to 22K ohm
R6/8 to 22K ohm
C15/19 removed/left open
C16/20 to 15NF
R23/24 to 4.7K ohm
R28/30 to 8.2K ohm
R32/34 to 1K ohm
Hello wg45,
here we are a year later…how do you like the sound of the slob2? Also, on your marked up schemo above you are showing the original lx-mini, correct? I was looking at the camp slob2 2022 schemo & the values are a tad different. Just wanted to get my head around your thoughts after time gone by. Thanks for any feedback.
Brian in Seattle.