Papa’s slot loaded open baffle version #2

Question about woofer amplification for this speaker. I see most people are using a 25+ watt amp there. I am currently running an OB system with a Lowther on top and a 12 inch woofer with a passive crossover. These are driven by a 45 SET amp putting out about 1.5 watts and I have more than enough volume. So if I switch to the SLOB, would it not work if I kept the 45 amp for the full range driver and used, say, a 300B SET for the woofer at 6-8 watts?

At the SLOB builder workshop in CA last month, we got to hear a pair completed speakers bi-amped with two pairs of ACA. They sounded wonderful that way. The consensus is that any of Papa's 25W Class A amps will be quite sufficient for the 15" woofer. The full range driver could be driven from a Mini ACA, normal ACA, ACA Redux, lottery VFET amp or whatever else suits your fancy. The effeciency is over 90 dB, so not many Watts are needed.

I am preparing to hook mine up to a Naim NAP 250 for the bass and either my M2x or VFET amp for the full range. That is based as much on speaker cabling with the 250 as anything else. I'll let my ears tell me which amp is better for the full ranges. Abiity to match levels at the bi-amp crossover may play a part as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
as I said, choice of FR is more critical than choice of amp for woof

any of FW format with Cojones will serve

FR, Alpair is gem, but this is story about sensitive and efficient drivers

if ya wanna chest and throat, 8" FR is minimal one

heck, you can even put 10" or 12" or 15" Tann as OB main driver and stay in same realm as with FR being on OB, helped with boomer in slot

it is important to be able to state the obvious. Some things are just meant to be. Like these toilet signs on the local pub, stating polarity :devily:

Attachments

• 2CFC0171-7483-4B35-9890-9F812F932DE1.jpeg
    2CFC0171-7483-4B35-9890-9F812F932DE1.jpeg
    517.9 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: 1 user