Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Just a quick follow up to those building a Pearl 3.

This phono stage will most likely tell you new things about your favorite records. Some may fall out of favor as a consequence, others may rise in your esteem. It can be a bit shocking tbh, at least I've felt that way. There are a few platters I have been afraid to play.

So the Riaa box does not need a galvanic connection to Earth (SE)?
In this case would you connect audio ground in Riaa box directly to chassis?

I am no longer getting notified of new posts for this thread for some unknown reason, so late answering this.

My PS board is grounded with a wire to the chassis. Unlike when I make audio signal cables, I didn't tie the shield and ground together at the supply end - the shield is floating at both ends. From there, it's just the three power supply cables going to the RIAA board in it's own box. It is extremely quiet.

Reactions: 2 users
From Morrison, "Grounding and Shielding Techniques in Instrumentation", 3rd edition:

Attachments

• Morrison_IncorrectGrounding.jpg
    Morrison_IncorrectGrounding.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Shield_Morrison.jpg
    Shield_Morrison.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2019
Paid Member
@brianco
Looking at Figure 21, that's what I've been considering as the ideal.
So, if the ground post in the signal box is a "shield" connection -- mixed as it might be at the cartridge end -- and considering that we have a bridge in the PSU that "breaks" signal and safety/shield grounds...
Shouldn't the PCB grounds not be attached to the ground post but instead run back through the umbilical to the bridge (or rely on the PSU grounds?)
And if it is not reasonable to rely on the umbilical shield (maybe because there isn't one) then there should be a dedicated shield conductor to connect the signal chassis to the PSU chassis at the earth side of the bridge.
The Morrison drawing is nice but where's the bridge? And the separate PSU chassis?
And a lot depends on how the traces run on the circuit boards, I guess. The schematic didn't distinguish signal and power grounds.

Back in the day I grounded my Leach preamp (similar configuration) using a belts and suspenders approach. The circuit boards were grounded via the standoffs and wires back through the umbilical to the PSU board, also grounded to the chassis. It seemed to work.

But maybe it coulda worked better...