Pearl Acoustic Sibelius

Well, I just got the news that the cabinets are done and going to pick them up after the July 4th holiday week is over. Toronto is about a 4.5 hour drive each way from my home, but I can’t wait to see them in person.
in the meantime the builder sent a picture of the completed cabinets to hold me over until I can get them home.

After that, they are off to my refinisher in Grand Rapids and hopefully come back home with a beautiful gloss black piano finish. Hopefully, the plans that were published will do them justice to the real ones!,

DSC_4850.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 6 users
I am just curious about the opinion of the guys in this forum that are following this project. I guess my first question and using a little imagination, how do you think these cabinets compare to the real ones?

Without seeing them in person and providing the build plans to my speaker cabinet maker, who does this for a living, I noticed two things immediately.

First, the bottom section of both cabinet bases should be doubled according to the plans and the originals. I dont think it will make any appreciable sonic differences, but then you never know?

The second thing that I noticed is that he rounded the corners of the vent / port on the bottom of the cabinets. the originals look flared out to me? Whether on not it makes any appreciable sonic differences is subjective and it may not make any difference?

I may be a little nit-picky or maybe even a little OCD, but I am thinking that a lot of research and trial and error, went into the original design and then fine tuned acoustically be an experienced audio engineer / musician.

So, there is an old saying that the “devil is in the details“ and I want to make sure that I captured what the original designer had in mind, or am I being overly cautious?…

Your thoughts, anyone?…

Yea I can’t see them either but I had to send him the felt wool from Parts Express so that he could install it based on the plans.

So, hopefully the baffle board is in there with the correct dimensions and angle?

I will not know for sure until I come to get them in a few weeks?

I can see the ionternal panel when I maximize the brightness of my screen.
You can see the felt on the panel.
No worries. Also when I save the picture to 256 colors.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2024-06-24 205238.png
    Schermafbeelding 2024-06-24 205238.png
    664 KB · Views: 43
  • Schermafbeelding 2024-06-24 205238.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2024-06-24 205238.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 41
I am just curious about the opinion of the guys in this forum that are following this project. I guess my first question and using a little imagination, how do you think these cabinets compare to the real ones?

Without seeing them in person and providing the build plans to my speaker cabinet maker, who does this for a living, I noticed two things immediately.

First, the bottom section of both cabinet bases should be doubled according to the plans and the originals. I dont think it will make any appreciable sonic differences, but then you never know?

The second thing that I noticed is that he rounded the corners of the vent / port on the bottom of the cabinets. the originals look flared out to me? Whether on not it makes any appreciable sonic differences is subjective and it may not make any difference?

I may be a little nit-picky or maybe even a little OCD, but I am thinking that a lot of research and trial and error, went into the original design and then fine tuned acoustically be an experienced audio engineer / musician.

So, there is an old saying that the “devil is in the details“ and I want to make sure that I captured what the original designer had in mind, or am I being overly cautious?…

Your thoughts, anyone?…
About your “ second thing “: it looks angled or flared out because they use mitre joints every where (sides, front, back, top and bottom). I hope it helps.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I wonder if a judicious handful or two of stuffing here and/or there might get you to where you want to be.

certainly Scott and Dave represent that their enclosures are designed to within an inch of their lives... but then indicated that moving the driver out 3/4" to accomodate a thicker baffle.

maybe rely on your driver choice first and foremost?

I have a folded Voight pipe with MAOP10.
I used Scott's design and folded it.
Pretty sure that's what a Sibelius is.
I was surprised that I needed a notch filter centered at 8k but it works well.
All of the descriptions of the Sibelius are playing in my living room.
A very musical, real sound.
Not audiophile but music lover

I don't know if I trust myself to monkey with a $110 each Mark Audio 10.3, either the thickness of the mixture for the dots, how many, and where to put them.....

8khz is where the s's and t's land, or too much shhh......

Can become quite irritating if resonance is there................

First time poster...I just spend the day going over this thread (good use of my time while down with the flu in bed). @Hondasnl I plan to build your design, awesome work so far. I need to get hold of a set of 10.3 but it is a special order. I've asked @darcher the distributor in Aus to get me pricing. Was considering the Alpair 11MS but I am a hobbyist woodworker not a sound engineer so I will need a plan to work from......

I recently build my first set of speakers using CHR70 (bought from https://www.darcher.com.au/ ) * thanks @planet10 for the info *. I used the inside design dimensions from https://www.frugal-phile.com/ (Slim Classic GR dCHR-Ken70 1v01 Mark Audio CHR70.3 ) and adjusted for my stock thickness.....I just bought a new Marantz amp and have yet to test them in a good setting. Have played them on my Yamaha AV and they sound good but lack base as expected......will test the new setup this weekend.

Now I look forward to build the Sibelius copy...

@Hondasnl when the hangover wears off lets see the progress…\

IMG_1125.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users