Pearl Acoustic Sibelius

Haha jlo_aus, Friday I'll make a start with milling the holes for the drivers in the baffles.

Attachments

• IMG_20240625_180648_549.jpg
    IMG_20240625_180648_549.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20240625_180716_645.jpg
    IMG_20240625_180716_645.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reminder on my second point, I forgot that they used mitre joints on the originals.

What would be interesting is if there was a way to do a side by side comparison with our project builds verses the original?

Let me ask the group their option and I know it’s a hard question to answer without hearing both the original and the clones, but how much of a difference is there really in audio quality and specs between the homemade and real versions?

After all, it’s not Rocket Science and with the information, knowledge and experience that we have available on this forum, my guess is that our home brew projects are more closer to the originals than we think?

If you could put it into percentages, my guess would be 85 to 90 percent as close to the originals. The differences being in construction materials, driver, insulation and other fine tuning techniques?

Anyone else want to venture a guess or estimate?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
and with the information, knowledge and experience that we have available on this forum
the problem as I see it is that the information we have here is pretty soft.
and even if one of us reproduced the enclosure with high fidelity (see what I did there?) we know the Pearl driver has been fiddled with... and we don't know exactly what was done.
what we do know on this forum is that designers Scott and Dave work hard to calculate particular enclosures for drivers that might seem to the rest of us to differ even just a little.

so if I had a pair of Alpair 10.3 drivers (which I do) and wanted the best outcome I'd be building an enclosure shaped to their particular characteristics -- like a Pensil 10.3 or FHXL -- which is my plan.

Though if I win the lottery I might be on the phone to Harley... just for fun.

Reactions: 1 users
the problem as I see it is that the information we have here is pretty soft.
and even if one of us reproduced the enclosure with high fidelity (see what I did there?) we know the Pearl driver has been fiddled with... and we don't know exactly what was done.
what we do know on this forum is that designers Scott and Dave work hard to calculate particular enclosures for drivers that might seem to the rest of us to differ even just a little.

so if I had a pair of Alpair 10.3 drivers (which I do) and wanted the best outcome I'd be building an enclosure shaped to their particular characteristics -- like a Pensil 10.3 or FHXL -- which is my plan.

Though if I win the lottery I might be on the phone to Harley... just for fun.
It is difficult to say which option is "best" for you.
Only you can decide that.
Each option of box has its advantages and disadvantages. In general, both options are very good.
Whichever you choose, I think you'll be satisfied.
Sincerely

Well, when you buy pair of drivers from MA, not Maop, they are not really matched. We know that Sibelius drivers are not stock Alpair, but they are not become 8" Fostex after tweaks. Still, noone simulated stock Alpair in this enclosure so this is guess and hope for the best project. I will make it, but first from old closet particle board, then some measuring and if I like it ill invest in proper material

Reactions: 1 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
when you buy pair of drivers from MA, not Maop, they are not really matched

One ofthe thing si did with my EnABLed MA was pair matching (to a greater extent than MAOP).

It should be noted that the MA have the tightest QC ofany of the brands i have done significant tnumbers of and a random pair islikely closer than with other makes.

dave

I wonder how something like the KEF UniQ coax would do in an enclosure like this?….the Q150 already gets to 55hz in it’s little 9.5 liter ported box…..I wonder if this hybrid alignement would bring it into the 40’s?……that would be a great DIY mod for folks and those who prefer a tweeter over an FR.

Reactions: 1 user