Return-to-zero shift register FIRDAC

Both Amanero and I2SoverUSB can work with external master clocks, both for PCM and for DSD. Difference is Amanero requires 22/24MHz whereas I2SoverUSB uses 45/49MHz.

Used a clock multiplier chip to externally clock I2SoverUSB from my 22/24MHz oscillators, then reclocked the I2S output to de-jitter the clock multiplier phase noise.

EDIT: Reason for using a multiplier chip was so that the ratio could be set with jumpers. That way I could use 11/12Mhz clocks or 5/6MHz clocks without a redesign of the board. Just move a jumper.
Thank you, Mark
Another great setup, like SOTA to me. Again, interestingly no FIFO needed. So why were you planning to use Andrea’s FIFO to drive Marcel’s DAC?

In hindsight, using the Amanero for testing was the easiest to connect but looking at what Bohrok achieved, not the best choice at least not without galvanic isolation and external MCK.
The I2SoverUSB board with galvanic Isolation and several optional add-ons would most likely have produced much better results.
A bit of sad feelings for all the time invested in testing.
You could call this a learning curve :cry:

Hans

Another great setup, like SOTA to me. Again, interestingly no FIFO needed.
In practice asynchronous UAC requires an internal FIFO within the USB-I2S interface. That FIFO is kept in balance (i.e. without over/underruns) with UAC asynchronous feedback. External FIFOs are used to provide clean clock (i.e. separate from source clock) but most external FIFOs don't have such feedback mechanisms so they will eventually have over/underruns since source clock and FIFO clock are bound to have a small difference in frequency. Of course with large FIFO size and tiny frequency difference it will take ages for over/underrun to happen but theoretically external FIFO without feedback is flawed.

Reactions: 1 users
@Mark, I am very pleased with all the efforts you put in for this setup for the listening tests. I think it has reached a stage where further work will require additional contributions and resources if further scope can be identified. Sometimes I wished if we could somehow teleport Hans & Co to your place for all the measurement tests but I reckon we can also accept what has already been presented so far. Many thanks also to all the others who contributed to this discussion🙏

Reactions: 1 users
...if further scope can be identified.
Haven't we already identified further scope? What about the effects of lower phase noise clocking on this particular dac? How might that affect sound stage? Do anyone know how to measure sound stage with electronic instruments, or are biological sensors the only practical way we have to assess performance of that type today?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Haven't we already identified further scope? What about the effects of lower phase noise clocking on this particular dac? How might that affect sound stage? Do anyone know how to measure sound stage with electronic instruments, or are biological sensors the only practical way we have to assess performance of that type today?
Recording space spacial information can be evaluated when playing back through loudspeakers.
Different loudspeakers/room interaction give different effect.
When playing back through headphones most of this information seems to vanish (brain unable to recreate the recording space?), despite the same biological sensor(s).
George