Revisiting some "old" ideas from 1970's - IPS, OPS

Guys, here is a great work by George (member filenet).

He has re-designed the PCB, combining the VERTICAL front-end and NS-OPS with 2SC5200/2SA1943 output devices, and making is easy to etch.
George allowed me to publish his photos, I also take the liberty to show a fragment of his message, so that you see the key amendments he did as well as his impressions:

I finished your Vertical NS-OPS. I made some `slight` modifications to it:
1. I am using +/-60v power supply with only 20000uF per rail from an old project.
2. I changed the output devices to 2SC5200/2SA1943. Also here i am using a zobel network and a big inductor with 10ohm resistor.
3. I changed R1 2k7 resistor with 4k7.
4. I changed 22uF capacitors to 47uF because this is what i had in stock.
5. The boards are THT single layer (see the pictures).
I must admit i was a little anxious when i first switch the power on, about everything turning into a 200w oscillator. That never happened :).
The amplifier is stable. It has little hum when the inputs are not connected to a source, that`s ok , i do not intend to use the amp not connected to anything :).
The sound is top class without the huge class A dissipation ;)
Now such an amp deserves a 21 century protection.

Congratulations George for your successful build and thanks for sharing your experience. The design becomes really mature :p
You inspire me to come up with my version of the layout, combining both Vertical and NS-OPS on one board, having all the outputs on one side ;)

Cheers,
Valery

Will he share his layout ? :D

Vertical + NS-OPS combined PCB

Cooking my version of the combined one with the heatsink on one side ;)

Attachments

• Vert-NS-OPS-Combo-01.JPG
    Vert-NS-OPS-Combo-01.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 466
Good point - I will think a bit more about it. There's enough space for the front-end, so I can play with those caps placement quite a bit. On one hand, the main ground return from the speaker terminal goes directly to PSU, so here it does not have to be that tough. On the other hand, the rail traces must be tough, and I try to keep the terminals close to the output transistors. I can place the rail terminals close to the center, but then the rail traces become rather "dirty" when they reach the front-end...