RST28F and DC130A Foamcore Homage to LS3/5A

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, certainly. The thinner wall material was to try to emulate the original LS3/5A units built for internal BBC use. It makes for a lighter weight cabinet but I personally don’t think it matters that much given the main influence of the drivers themselves facing forward and delivering 99% of the sound out the front.

I am making the cabinets with 18mm thick ply on the front now. This seems to work better to allow more room for the rebate and mounting screw to have good purchase.

Hi, i begin to make the enclosure in 18mm mdf. The twetter is not in stock in soundimports.eu until end of may so i have time ...

rockville.JPG

I have bought a long time ago 4 USHER audio 8836A speakers and do you think it will be possible to make a bass extender for the rockville?

usher audio 8836A.png

thank you ! bye !

Yes, certainly. The thinner wall material was to try to emulate the original LS3/5A units built for internal BBC use. It makes for a lighter weight cabinet but I personally don’t think it matters that much given the main influence of the drivers themselves facing forward and delivering 99% of the sound out the front.

I am making the cabinets with 18mm thick ply on the front now. This seems to work better to allow more room for the rebate and mounting screw to have good purchase.

IMG-20210513-WA0003.jpg

The cabinet work has been started, I have asked by cabinet maker to put a grill has well, for that he had kept 38mm gap from front, 18mm will be the front baffle and 18mm will be the grill stand, does having additional 18mm infront would change anything?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The speaker crossover as designed was without a grill. If adding a grill I would suggest a minimal frame that attaches via magnets to the already flush front baffle.

I’m afraid adding a deep recess around the drivers is very bad for the sound. Any discontinuity causes diffraction and dips and peaks in the response vs a flat baffle.

If not too late - I would try to make the speaker flush and add grill later like this.

attachment.php

But personally, I would just avoid using a grill.

Attachments

• 41C1A2B1-30BB-4D44-87C5-3CA9DCA0A9AE.jpeg
    41C1A2B1-30BB-4D44-87C5-3CA9DCA0A9AE.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 820
The speaker crossover as designed was without a grill. If adding a grill I would suggest a minimal frame that attaches via magnets to the already flush front baffle.

I’m afraid adding a deep recess around the drivers is very bad for the sound. Any discontinuity causes diffraction and dips and peaks in the response vs a flat baffle.

If not too late - I would try to make the speaker flush and add grill later like this.

But personally, I would just avoid using a grill.

Agree, even the minimal grill cause a lot of diffraction. That is the main reason BBC added the felt ring I believe. Turned out to have other benefits. Nice speaker you've got there BTW

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have licensed these to be commercially produced and they will be available in choice of high gloss natural, satin piano black, or bamboo. All construction uses Baltic Birch with internal battens. Lined with Noico butyl and foam internally. Custom made crossovers with quality components on PCB. Nice binding posts. Magnetically secured grills. They will be available in about 2 months from a new company called Vera-Fi Audio.

I just finished installing the drivers and about to take these for a test listen now. I installed melamine foam on these for a comparison with eggcrate foam. This is just showing the start of the melamine foam install. They cover the total inside 360deg.
75114538-A520-4526-ACC0-038B7BCE373D.jpeg

F8B05B06-DFCA-4F04-A74C-9B285D303FC3.jpeg

88C4E415-5A31-4DA8-B4DE-42C125F68E50.jpeg

24AE6D50-3671-465F-94CE-05C4A7C32C85.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user