Seas A26 Devore Style Build

I've always wanted to play with that HiVi RT2H-A

Ill take THD measurements this week end of my speaker system but i think in my setup crossed around 1.5khz 1st order, it can play up to about 105db: very impressive for a planar tweeter and for most domestic use, plenty.
In the manual for the acuhorn 15 (using the rt2h) on their website, it says 1.8khz crossover point.
it does? funny the reviewer made a mistake there, good catch!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
he front looks like phase plugs so not identical and not an A26

o96.jpg

Can you post pic of insides or a link.

None of these are A26:

75412202_2506639276099154_4488985021893312512_n.jpg

dave

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure I would screw with the stock a26.

Add shorting ring or copper cap, then you have to drop the magnet strength to prevent climbing up to 2khz.
Less magnet strength (to me) can make for more distortion (?) as now the magnet has a less tight grip on the cone.
Some of the open baffle (infinite baffle also) folks prefer a lower qts driver with boost over a floppy driver (say qts .7 and up).

Then you would be have to screw with the moving mass / suspension to get the qts back to where it was.

Also, the a26 qts is friendly for 60hz f3 sealed or just above 30hz (3+ ft3) ported f3 (If i remember correctly).

I wonder if a huge long phase plug would help dispersion, it should...............

Everyone thinks the tweet in devore is the cat378 (which I love) but stereophile thought it was seas, maybe it is a wavecore.......

Last edited:
could be wrong...........

https://www.stereophile.com/content/devore-fidelity-orangutan-o93-loudspeaker
"Both of the O/93's drivers—that 10" paper-cone bass/midrange driver and parts of the 1" soft-dome tweeter—are made by SEAS, of Norway, and customized for DeVore Fidelity."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/devore-fidelity-orangutan-o96-loudspeaker
"
High-frequency tones are reproduced by a 1" silk-dome tweeter built into a shallow concave flange; the latter, in DeVore's words, is "beyond being a waveguide and just on the verge of a horn load." DeVore, who designed the tweeter in cooperation with the European company that builds it to his specs, adds that the tweeter's rear wave fires into a tuned chamber glued to the magnet.

DeVore also designed the O/96's 10" woofer, whose untreated paper cone is made by a small company in Europe; the rest of the driver is manufactured by SEAS."

A little more fuzzy on the O/96;s horn loaded dome

he front looks like phase plugs so not identical and not an A26

o96.jpg

Can you post pic of insides or a link.

None of these are A26:

75412202_2506639276099154_4488985021893312512_n.jpg

dave
I believe the drivers in the second pic are for the O reference series. Notice that they cast from brass.

In this video Devore talks about how speakers work

And At 5:31 you can see the driver he holds up.
429F867F-1328-4E7F-A500-FFF0F341085F.jpeg
it’s pretty similar to the A26 but has a phase plug and what looks like a larger magnet. Here’s a A26 for reference.
91C38596-2D89-48C7-9697-3EA348CFB987.jpeg

could be wrong...........

https://www.stereophile.com/content/devore-fidelity-orangutan-o93-loudspeaker
"Both of the O/93's drivers—that 10" paper-cone bass/midrange driver and parts of the 1" soft-dome tweeter—are made by SEAS, of Norway, and customized for DeVore Fidelity."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/devore-fidelity-orangutan-o96-loudspeaker
"
High-frequency tones are reproduced by a 1" silk-dome tweeter built into a shallow concave flange; the latter, in DeVore's words, is "beyond being a waveguide and just on the verge of a horn load." DeVore, who designed the tweeter in cooperation with the European company that builds it to his specs, adds that the tweeter's rear wave fires into a tuned chamber glued to the magnet.

DeVore also designed the O/96's 10" woofer, whose untreated paper cone is made by a small company in Europe; the rest of the driver is manufactured by SEAS."

A little more fuzzy on the O/96;s horn loaded dome

That tweeter looks identical in every way to the Morel Cat 378. The Cat 378 is such a unique tweeter with the voice coil wire showing on the outside, the way the fixing holes are drilled, and the ring of felt material behind the translucent soft dome. Regardless of what DeVore or Stereophile says, that is a Morel Cat 378.

Reactions: 1 users
And the Devore driver looks like they are using the ferritte magnet of the old Seas A25XL, the second version used in the Dynaco A25 (first was with a Seas A25 H336 with the Alnico magnet).

The modern A26 has a much better magnet i have to say. It's lower distortion and more powerfull than the big old A25 ferritte magnet.

And the Devore driver looks like they are using the ferritte magnet of the old Seas A25XL, the second version used in the Dynaco A25 (first was with a Seas A25 H336 with the Alnico magnet).

The modern A26 has a much better magnet i have to say. It's lower distortion and more powerfull than the big old A25 ferritte magnet.

Attachments

• D4E256AC-3E82-43B3-9236-3A0100B390EB.jpeg
    D4E256AC-3E82-43B3-9236-3A0100B390EB.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 169