SEAS driver choice for first build and some xMax problems

Hey everyon, if I want to go for a bigger woofer but fit in the relatively small enclosure, (which I will be trying to make larger as possible), would the Scan Speak Revelator 18W/8531G00 be a good option? Thanks!

18W/8531G00​

Yes a very good option, can work well in a closed box (15L-20L). I considered myself this option in the past . You have a zaph project as example here : http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZRT.html

Reactions: 1 user
Yes a very good option, can work well in a closed box (15L-20L). I considered myself this option in the past . You have a zaph project as example here :
Awesome, I might for for a larger woofer in that case. Is there any disadvantage (other than size of enclosure) that I should be aware of while using bigger woofers?

I also found one for the same price with a titanium voice coil former with a qts of 0.71, this I believe would be really good for a sealed box, but it will require a lot of power. The 18M8631T00 It's RMS is 120W, my amplifier does 100W. Is that okay or should I really consider a more efficient woofer like the 18W8531G00?

Here is the link to the store that seems to have the best prices.

https://audio-hi.fi/en/scan-speak_18w-8531g00-p-5.html

Thank you very much for your replies!

Edit : Nevermind, that titanium former driver seems to be very strange

Last edited:
1719102283552.png

Does this sort of a curve on the front baffle work or is it too steep towards the rear? Measurements are in MM

Edit : I see a similar curve on B&W speakers, and the woofer is quite close to the edges as mine. But Sonus faber that uses a similar shape has a much bigger front baffle to driver size ratio. I saw your older comments from 2021 @planet10 about front baffle, and I saw some graphs, if I understand properly, there is no perfect size for the front baffle, its just about choosing how i want to deal with baffle step in the crossover right? As in different baffle sizes affect different wavelengths right? Thanks

Last edited:
Awesome, I might for for a larger woofer in that case. Is there any disadvantage
It starts beaming early, the crossover frequency is lower.

18M8631T00
It is a midrange, design to be used in a 3 ways. The recommend frequency range is 70-6000Hz.

Looking at 27L at the moment without counting the bracing or anything
27L is a big monitor. Don't forget damping the box increase virtually the volume. If you keep a qt nearly 0.8, max value, the total internal size is 16L, add 1L drivers, 1L crossover, 1L brace, 1L bitumen pads you can go to 20L.
Ideal size is 23L Qt 0.71, 27L is enough.
You can go to a bigger box too ...

For the bass step compensation, you can do a full correction 6dB or 3dB if your speaker is near a wall. See zaph zrt, all these options are discussed ;)

Awesome, my box will probaby end up actually being quite a bit bigger than I initially thought. Looking at 27L at the moment without counting the bracing or anything. I will try and reduce a little.
Baffle is 280x420mm with 50mm round edge
15L (completely filled) net volume: add bracing, filter, drivers volume

BOX REAR 1: Vb=18,2 l, Ql=100,0
Fb 59,6 Hz System resonance frequency
Qtc 0,68 Total Q factor

1719139205847.png

1719139393317.png

Yep thanks Dave, I have seen a few made like that, and I know TAD, the company I was initially copying for the translam, they also moved to this method after the translam reference ones. Bending small pieces of soft plywood doesn't seem as difficult as I initially thought. I don't know if I will be building the cabinets myself so the final design will depend on what method will be recommended by whoever might build them. I have a decent amount of experience and all the tools, but I have friends who would probably be quicker and make less mistakes than me.

27L is a big monitor. Don't forget damping the box increase virtually the volume. If you keep a qt nearly 0.8, max value, the total internal size is 16L, add 1L drivers, 1L crossover, 1L brace, 1L bitumen pads you can go to 20L.
Ideal size is 23L Qt 0.71, 27L is enough.
You can go to a bigger box too ...

For the bass step compensation, you can do a full correction 6dB or 3dB if your speaker is near a wall. See zaph zrt, all these options are discussed ;)
Thank you for all your valuable info, I will look into all of this. Ideally I will make the box itself smaller, I do want it to fit around my desk and not be too heavy to wall mount. To avoid the bracing taking up too much space inside I was thinking of using metal. I will simply have a thin cnc or lazer cutout that is the same shape as the translam wood pieces, but the metal one will have bracing. I am not sure if this is an ideal bracing method, btu i will get to those details later.

In general, a smaller driver typically does better mid and reaches up higher, and it won’t reach quite as low… but design & execution is critical and you will find lots of counter examples.
While comparing the 15 and 18, I think they both reach nearly as low, the only difference was xmax and power handling. So can't play as loud I guess. Do you think 15 is enough for me? even if I go into a bigger room eventually?