SEAS driver choice for first build and some xMax problems

The goal is something like 4” roundover equivalent. Usually not acheivable.

A chamfer gives a larger effective radius given a specific amount of material that can be removed, bigger the better. At teh frequencies involved little difference in a chafer vrs a round-over except the size.
Okay, I will go round over for visual purposes and try and make it as big of a curve as possible. Is it okay if the woofers frame sticks out from the round corner a little bit?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Kenwood I believe does not have the highest reputation compared to Sansui and Pioneer for amps

They all build stuff from crap to good. I’d put Kenwood’s higher end stuff ahead of Pioner & Sansui. I doubt any are as good as vurrent generations of amplifiers.

The NAD was a decent entry level amplifier.

When i worked hifi we had a bunch of pricey high end Japanese DD TTs. And an array of belt drives with the same arm and cartridge. Hundreds and hundreds of times we demonstrated that even the budget BD TT smoked every one of those DDs.

Arm lifters. A bane. I never ever used one. And when a customer inadvertently did, we spent inordinate amounts of time figuring out why the music wasn’t playing.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
YouTube music

Many do.

Crappy audio thou. If that is your source why bother spending a zillion dollars on a speaker project you won’t be able to apprecaite since it is being fed by a poor source.

If that is whta you listen to fine, but that will be by far the weakest link. Find something better to use when working on the loudspeaker.

dave

They all build stuff from crap to good. I’d put Kenwood’s higher end stuff ahead of Pioner & Sansui. I doubt any are as good as vurrent generations of amplifiers.

The NAD was a decent entry level amplifier.

When i worked hifi we had a bunch of pricey high end Japanese DD TTs. And an array of belt drives with the same arm and cartridge. Hundreds and hundreds of times we demonstrated that even the budget BD TT smoked every one of those DDs.

Arm lifters. A bane. I never ever used one. And when a customer inadvertently did, we spent inordinate amounts of time figuring out why the music wasn’t playing.

dave
Well to each their own, I know the highest end TT's are belt but many direct drives are very highly regarded. People argue about this a lot. I know I probably would never hear the difference. My technician believes belts can be problematic for some reasons and he prefers direct drives. He has one of those DJ technics TT's. I would be happy with both belt or direct. I care more about the rest of the TT build quality and design. Isolation is important to me as my sub is right underneath.

Many do.

Crappy audio thou. If that is your source why bother spending a zillion dollars on a speaker project you won’t be able to apprecaite since it is being fed by a poor source.

If that is whta you listen to fine, but that will be by far the weakest link. Find something better to use when working on the loudspeaker.

dave
Yes I understand, but speakers are the most important part of the whole setup, and I will be using the TT for serious listening and I want that to sound as good as possible. All tho I do notice differences between speakers even from YouTube music streaming. For example, shape of your heart, on the B&W's, I can hear the fingers sliding on the guitar strings, can't hear it on the Sony SS M3's and couldn't hear it on the Paradigm Titan V6's either.
I am also working on developing a good downloaded catalog, so far in Flac format I only have the Doom 2016 and Doom eternal OST's, but they sound amazing. I also have some large mp3 files for one rap album. I know someone that promised me a large library of Rock music in Flac format but I haven't received it yet. I was also thinking of using apple music or tidal or something like that on top of my YouTube subscription to enjoy some higher quality streaming here and there.

Yeah I imagine TT's perform much better when they don't have silly mechanisms, but it does make playing records a lottle bit of a hassle to people like me who were born to a world with CD's, then music streaming and things like Bluetooth. I really appreciate having an auto arm lift and a damping mechanism to drop the arm. I know it affects the signal but its a compromise I can make for now. Kenwood put the solenoid magnet for cue mechanism right next to the tonearm leads wiring, its couple to the metal frame that hold the solder points between tonearm leads and rca cables lol. I will try and isolate it as best as I can in the future, but currently I am quite happy with the setup. I do get a decent amount of noise coming from the turntable tho as I use an MC cart, so it will be something to look into going forward.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I know the highest end TT's are belt but many direct drives are very highly regarded

Highly regarded. M$ Word is a highly regarded piece of software that is not really very good at all. Means little.

We soldan inordinate amount of higher end, manual TTs. Those demos, i am sure, had Victoria as a statisticalanaomaly in how few DDs were sold. The big buck, highest end Japanese TTs were consistantly bested by belt drives a fraction of the price.

And all to often the higest end belt drive from the Japanese companys beat all the more expensive DDs.

There have been a few novel designs in the past decade or so that have really raised the standard but still one can find a simple cheaper belt drive.

I know I probably would never hear the difference.

If i had. a nickel for every time i heard that. It is unlikely true.

dave

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
but speakers are the most important part of the whole setup

Myth.

While a loudspeaker has the greatest role in the voicing of a system, everything is important.

A hifi is an information processing system. you want to extract as much as possible from the software and lose as little as possible. This information loss is greatest at the point where mechanical to electrical and visa-versa is the place where the most information is usually lost.

A reasonable loudspeaker will sound fantastic driven by a good front end with good software.

The best speakers will sound like crap if that is what is in front of them.

Based on that you would be surprised that one of the most popular $1000 systems (late 70s) was a Linn + Grace 707 + $30 Grado (best available source), an NAD 3020, and the inexpensive speakers of their choice. It was very rewarding when i was thanked by those who got started towards the high end with that system.

Now with 40 years of digital evolution it has become quite inexpensive to get really good quality. On the order of say a $500-1k DAC goes up against $10k+ of TT. And with streaming there is no mechanical transition at the front end. CDs can be ripped in not-real time to ensure a perfect copy.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I want that to sound as good as possible.

Then you need to step back and do some more study. Expensive speaker projects without caring for the rest has led to many, many disappointed people. And likely as many more where, because they built it, or haven’t heard better, think their poorly performing system is great.

It is one of the prime reasons why you will find over and over again by myriad members to start small or with a proven design.

between speakers even from YouTube music streaming

There are SO MANY things convolved with what comes out of your loudspeakers to be able to really tell much. What is what?

dave

Last edited:
Then you need to step back and do some more study. Expensive speaker projects without caring for the rest has led to many, many disappointed people. And likely as many more where, because they built it, or haven’t heard better, think their poorly performing system is great.

It is one of the prime reasons why you will find over and over again by myriad members to start small or with a proven design.
I am reading a lot on the side and coming here for confirmation and opinions. Lots of the info seems to differentiate between sources. I have been looking into builds with the revelator woofers and also commercial speakers using the same drivers. I noticed most commercial projects have bigger woofers tho. First step is driver selection and general design with some crossover ideas, next will be crossover design.

I will measure and share once we get there.

There are SO MANY things convolved with what comes out of your loudspeakers to be able to really tell much. What is what?
What I mean is that, with the same equipment everywhere and only changing the speakers while using a poor source like YouTube music, I was still able to tell some details were missing on the different speakers, so YouTube music seems to still give enough info that occasionally, for certain elements, the speakers can still be a bottle neck. (Maybe bottle neck is the wrong word but they don't play some of the detail that other speakers do, using the same YouTube music source and the same audio path)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK.

But get a few well recorded CDs and suck them into the computer and use them for reference. Everyone can recommend one. Lorenna McKennet, Live at the Alhambra.

What DAC do you have?

And while i was on a walk u came up with an analogy that the architect in you might appreciate. Sayinf Speaker is most impoortant is like saying the facade is the most critical part of the building.

And

And while i was on a walk u came up with an analogy that the architect in you might appreciate. Sayinf Speaker is most impoortant is like saying the facade is the most critical part of the building.
Hahahah wow what a good analogy, I'm out for a walk with Bear myself. A facade is usually one of the last parts of a building to be properly designed. Shape is number one. Maybe this is why I started with the speaker shape hahah, as architects we send all the internal work to some good engineers.
1000057793.jpg