Setting up a PC-based multichannel DSP system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guenter, thank you but too late for me :( I have already ordered a Behringer ADA82000 and (mistakenly a) "miniStreamer" --upon re-reading the description it does not do ADAT (or TOSLINK). So I must order the USB Streamer ( $100+) or .... find another way. I do have an ancient (in PC years) Musiland Monitor 01 USD. Amazingly the old drivers work even in Win10. I think I have an ASIO for it, have not tried that. It has an optical out. Guess what my next audio hack will be :) I shall report on my success or not here!

@Soldermizer

I can only say it again.

Standard PC with HDMI (onboard) -Most people have it
Ubuntu with KXStudio (or KXStudio standalone) - Free
Calf Studio Gear with 8 channel X-Over (plugin inside KXStudio) -Free

7.1 AV Receiver with HDMI (Ebay 150,-- Euro)

Thats all you Need

DSP and HTPC is done in the PC
DAC is done in the AV-Receiver (in my case Onkyo)

And the DAC Hardware in the AV-receiver is better then the most Audio Interfaces.

Best regards
Guenter

That looks interesting. Will KXStudio + Calf Studio Gear run on a small platform like Rasperry with 6-8 channels crossover? Or some of the cheap miniPCs/Sticks eith HDMI?

Last edited:
I haven't tried it with mini pc like rasperry.
I think, if you can install ubuntu on such a system it should work.
Maybe also same TV boxes should work if you can install ubuntu instead of android.
Popular at the Moment are AMLOGIC S905 chipsets where i have read some boxes can work with ubuntu.
In next future I will buy a ODROID C2 (its sold out at the Moment) and give it a try.

In 2 weeks I am for 2 weeks in China maybe I can get it there.

Best regards
Guenter

Time for me to order a USBStreamer...

OK, I've spent too much time trying to get the outdated Musiland 01 USD "ASIO" to work...it did have ASIO driver, which JRiver accepted, and it works to a "normal" TOSLINK connection DAC but any attempts to check the output via JRiver completely crash Windows 10 (32 bit)! After doing this a few times, I blame a bad software mix, probably the old Musiland driver. I am not a software genius, but I think it takes quite a bad error to completely take down Windows.

I've educated myself to the point that it appears that "normal" TOSLINK/Optical out is SPDIF (stereo? 2 channel only?) but what I need is ADAT, which it appears the best solution is the USBStreamer. Duh! It finally occurred to me that there are two different protocols: the USBStreamer needs a firmware upgrade to do ADAT.

While I continue to pursue my (relatively) inexpensive 8-channel-capable ADAT->balanced (XLR) DAC outputs, all this hardware is costing me about $350 including shipping; it is kind of depressing to know that (so far as I know), JRiver will output via HDMI 7.1 to a home theater receiver (in my case, cost me about $150 used) that would do almost the same :(

So boys and girls, if you have an HDMI capable PC and a HTR, maybe that is the cheapest out ;)

here some Pictures to give you an Impression of my Setup with x-over and activated Vulkan Chassis

X-over frequences shown here were experimental. Now I have found better ones. (180 / 3800)

Also I have activeted Equalizers and limiters in my dsp Setup

Regards
Guenter

Attachments

• WP_20150705_18_55_09_Raw 1.jpg
    WP_20150705_18_55_09_Raw 1.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 328
  • WP_20150705_18_55_59_Raw.jpg
    WP_20150705_18_55_59_Raw.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 314
  • WP_20150712_13_23_52_Raw 1.jpg
    WP_20150712_13_23_52_Raw 1.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 318
  • WP_20150717_21_51_39_Raw 1.jpg
    WP_20150717_21_51_39_Raw 1.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 310
  • WP_20150705_18_54_15_Raw.jpg
    WP_20150705_18_54_15_Raw.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
What, exactly, is the benefit of installing KXstudio as opposed to installing a straight up OS like Ubuntu, Raspbian on the Pi, etc.? Are you (Loafmeat) using some special tools that are only available through that distro?

For loudspeaker crossovers I have been using ecasound under Raspbian or Ubuntu and I find that to be all that I need, so I am curious about your approach and what that offers above and beyond what I am doing now...

Dear Charlie,

I see the following benefit:

1) I can just in time with a GUI adjust my crossover.
Thats helps me if I need to find the correct crossover frequences very easy by meassuring and hearing. I dont need to setup any configuration files. All is working simultan with the setting in the GUI.
That is CALF STUDIO GEARS what you have to look for. I have found this plugins in KXStudio.

The channel Connections are also done with a GUI (Claudia or Catia) without complicate configuration files. Also simultan just in time.

2) I have Equalizers, Compressors, Limiters....... all with a GUI.
Very simple and user friendly.
It is a complete Music Studio if you want.

3) I use my PC 24/7 also as fileserver, HTPC, mpd,
I can use deezer, YouTube, spotify......

4) I use my local Music with Clementine and Videos with vlc.

Other things are possible, its a complete Ubuntu destop System, all with this single PC.

regards
Guenter

Last edited:
Dear Charlie,

I see the following benefit:

1) I can just in time with a GUI adjust my crossover.
Thats helps me if I need to find the correct crossover frequences very easy by meassuring and hearing. I dont need to setup any configuration files. All is working simultan with the setting in the GUI.
That is CALF STUDIO GEARS what you have to look for. I have found this plugins in KXStudio.

The channel Connections are also done with a GUI (Claudia or Catia) without complicate configuration files. Also simultan just in time.

2) I have Equalizers, Compressors, Limiters....... all with a GUI.
Very simple and user friendly.
It is a complete Music Studio if you want.

3) I use my PC 24/7 also as fileserver, HTPC, mpd,
I can use deezer, YouTube, spotify......

4) I use my local Music with Clementine and Videos with vlc.

Other things are possible, its a complete Ubuntu destop System, all with this single PC.

regards
Guenter

Thanks for the info, Guenter. It seems like making real time adjustments through a GUI is very important to you, followed by the ability of the hardware to also run an OS that supports web based streams and other music sources. Is that correct?

In my approach I am using a "computer" (a Raspberry Pi) running headless in each speaker. It only needs to do the DSP. I do all the design before hand using a crossover design package and lots of measurements, and therefore do very little "tweaking". If I need to do tweaking I just make a quick edit to a text config file that controls the DSP crossover via SSH and restart the crossover. This might result in muted audio for a couple of hundred of milliseconds, which is not so long that you cannot do A/B comparisons. I don't find that to be all that complicated, whereas I find your GUI with lots of spaghetti connections to look complicated! Everyone has their comfort zone. :) All my sources are controlled from another Linux box (I call it my "music server") which runs Ubuntu and can call up whatever source I want to listen to (I use MPD). MPD can be controlled from a tablet using an MPD client, or I can be logged into the server and control it from there. But the tablet is easier to take with me around my home! Audio is streamed to the computers in the loudspeakers over wireless.

I split up the computing across different hardware so I can get some different functionality compared to the normal user who has the source and amplification and speakers near each other and connected by wires. I have spent a lot of effort to escape "wires" in my system, so I need to use a different approach.

Dear Charlie,

your Setup sounds very interesting and I think for an expert (everyone can become one!) ist easy to setup config files.

My Goal was to make all my needs cheap, that means with one PC and easy to use for everyone. Therefor the GUI is better then config files.

The "spaghettis" are a result of my channel Setup in JACK, with Crossover, Limiter, Equalizer and Analyser. Normally you don't need all of this. Ist nice to have and adjust Sound if you want. The limiter is good for high Level Sound. Most important is the Crossover channel mapping. Then it looks easy.

And of course I use one PC for all my needs .That means DSP, HTPC, Fileserver, ssh Server (to connect from outside).

Audio is via HDMI to the AV Receiver with 8 channel. DAC is done by the AVR.
2 channel for Bass
2 for Mid
2 for High
Connected directly to my Vulkan Chassis.
1 extra for an extra bass box. - I dont use it - maybe if we make a party.

That was for me the easiest and cheapest solution in combination.
PC I had and AVR cost me 80 EURO. The Vulkan was a gift from a friend (The analog crossovers are defect). So I get 2 Vulkan MK4 for 80 Euro with perfect Sound.

Next I will buy this odroid c2. Then I will see what I can do all with this mini PC

Regards
Guenter

Dear Charlie,

your Setup sounds very interesting and I think for an expert (everyone can become one!) ist easy to setup config files.

My Goal was to make all my needs cheap, that means with one PC and easy to use for everyone. Therefor the GUI is better then config files.

The "spaghettis" are a result of my channel Setup in JACK, with Crossover, Limiter, Equalizer and Analyser. Normally you don't need all of this. Ist nice to have and adjust Sound if you want. The limiter is good for high Level Sound. Most important is the Crossover channel mapping. Then it looks easy.

And of course I use one PC for all my needs .That means DSP, HTPC, Fileserver, ssh Server (to connect from outside).

Audio is via HDMI to the AV Receiver with 8 channel. DAC is done by the AVR.
2 channel for Bass
2 for Mid
2 for High
Connected directly to my Vulkan Chassis.
1 extra for an extra bass box. - I dont use it - maybe if we make a party.

That was for me the easiest and cheapest solution in combination.
PC I had and AVR cost me 80 EURO. The Vulkan was a gift from a friend (The analog crossovers are defect). So I get 2 Vulkan MK4 for 80 Euro with perfect Sound.

Next I will buy this odroid c2. Then I will see what I can do all with this mini PC

Regards
Guenter

That all sounds good. I would do something similar, especially if I could use the HDMI output from my computing hardware!

Dear Charlie

and another point.
You can try KXStudio from live CD with your PC without installing it (but for sure then its not so fast).

odroid c2 has HDMI 2.0 it would be interesting how many channels (32?) are available.

Maybe it is interesting for you:
In a first step I have tried KXStudio and crossover with the 7.1 analog audio onboard soundcard and two 5,1 AVRs (which I had) with analog input to the 2 AVRs
So DAC was done by the PC. This also worked and was for testing of may Vulkan. But to many cables -).

regards
Guenter

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.