Simplified MrEvil / PMI Capacitance Multiplier

the capacitance multiplier that uses a resistor ladder to define the voltage % that is applied to the output base/gate does indeed set the output a little below the "trough" of the input ripple.

But some supposed capacitance multipliers do not do this. They use an RC to filter the ripple instead of setting the desired voltage.

I'm seriously interested in this PS for the VSSA amp.
Couple of beginner questions still unclear though.
Does it need off board Regulation?
And what is it's current delivery capability ?

I've found that my currently Fave amp, an Lm3886 design is capable of ~11 A /side and has 20K uf capacitance / side to that end.
Also the PS is Fully regulated.
The Bass; in depth precision and detail is wonderous.
Appreciably improved when I upgraded from 10K uF /side
I'm not wanting to lose Any of that. In fact I'm striving for more :eek:

Am I going in the right direction?

How have you managed to get 11Amps out of an LM3886 - for an 8 Ohm load, that's the equivalent to nearly 1000 watts!

What is the fully regulated PS with 20mF per side?

Miles's C-Multiplier is happy with the standard F5 amp's load that's about 1.5A and peaks demand up to maybe 3A, and apparently quite okay with 5A into other amps - it's highly dependent on the 'pass transistor', the heatsink capacity, incident voltage ripple, etc, etc but I doubt it would get anywhere near 11Amps, even if you used electro caps that'll sustain that current

The CM supply does not need anything in terms of add-on 'regulation'. You just need to hook up a suitable transformer, as dictated by your projects needs plus a couple volts, set the CM to drop about 2V under a light load and use it.

It has a generous output capacitor, so current delivery is no issue. I've run my tester at a 5A DC draw from both rails simultaneously without issue. What the actual limit is, when it goes poof, I can't say. It will be capable of more than you will draw off of it in your application.

The CM is not a regulator; it gives a smooth quiet output similar to a regulator that is not firmly fixed like a regulator. That's what makes it flexible. It doesn't matter of you want a +/- 20V supply or a +/-70 V supply, just build it with suitably rated parts and you're good to go.

How have you managed to get 11Amps out of an LM3886 - for an 8 Ohm load, that's the equivalent to nearly 1000 watts!

Miles's C-Multiplier is happy with the standard F5 amp's load that's about 1.5A and peaks demand up to maybe 3A, and apparently quite okay with 5A into other amps - it's highly dependent on the 'pass transistor', the heatsink capacity, incident voltage ripple, etc, etc but I doubt it would get anywhere near 11Amps, even if you used electro caps that'll sustain that current

Have seen the spec sheet saying it's capable of such
(who woulda thought?) and tomchr has verified, presumably under some odd test conditions.
I am only concerned with having 'adequate to needs' Current capability .
Do know that a decent current capability is required to make my speakers perform . Whatever that might be in real life
Likely a small fraction of that ?

Yeah, sound like crazy figures but if Tom tested it's current capability ...

I used some Nichicon SuperThru caps on the o/p of the C-Mx and it worked extremely well for very clean low bass extension and when I used some others for mids/tops, used the Rifa electros but far too hot in the 'tops' so changed back to the BHC Slit Foils - I doubt that you need go to these 'name caps' at all, but I mentioned these because it's as much about the type of electro's as their capacity.

On the other hand, bigger transformers seem to sometimes quite give positive benefits ...

I think the 3886 runs to about 40 watts, but in bridge, will go much higher than that - pretty well worked out system

The lm3886 specification states that 11A (but omits peak) is typical when the Tj is @ 25°C. Elsewhere we see that this can only be for transient signals and further that this reduces when the chip becomes warm.
They also state that the minimum is 7A, again omitting the necessary peak from the current unit. Yet again they don't tell us how much that 7Apk drops when the chip is warm or hot.

Most any capacitor can meet an 11Apk demand, even a tiny 100nF ceramic can do this.

And it is not
the equivalent to nearly 1000 watts!
To deliver high peak current on a transient the effective load impedance must be very low.
Simple example.
To deliver 11Apk from +-35Vdc, the total impedance around the PSU, amplifier and load circuit must be ~3.18ohms.
The load impedance for this transient to flow is likely to be around 2r and the instantaneous peak power would be 242Wpk, the power would be 121W, NOT nearly 1000W !

Last edited:
Sorry to cause controversy :eek:
Only at the bottom edge of the learning curve.

Awaiting on our Disgruntled Postal Workers to deliver My copy of Jason's PCB. So I'm looking at what Transformer to buy.
Yikes! these seemingly number in the thousands.
That their nomenclature is incomprehensible doesn't help.
As most are not cheap, there's no room for foolish error.

What Do I look for ..or more precisely:
What Tx (identifying numbers to hunt for) would suit a 30/36 ~ volt output thru this Design PS (for my 'jason' vssa)
He did mention that the output would be a 'couple of V' lower than the TX output. Good info, if experienced ;)

In a nutshell, for the VSSA you will want about a 250VA to 300VA transformer giving anywhwere from about 24VAC to 32VAC on two individual secondaries or a centre tapped secondary like 24-0-24. Of course you could go higer in VA rating but there will be no real benefit in this application unless your wallet needs to go on a diet.

That's a nice one, stumbled over that Hammond series earlier.. just didn't know what to select for.
A wee bit pricey tho ? given that Canucks need to add 25% + shipping
Not yet knowing what is a reasonable price/quality balance.
Wallet is looking uncomfortably like a starved horse these days.
Otherwise no dithering on it.

Last edited:
Ok will do :)
The 36$ one has No shielding material, whereas the 41$ version does.. is that an Important distinction??
Tx/PS will be remotely located, up to 3' away, if necessary... if that info has relevance/influence to which version to buy.
Ps: Post today delivered your .. V Nicely.. made Board Thank you.

Basic Bill Of Materials

The design was meant to accommodate a fairly wide variety of components, so the BOM is somewhat vague, but it should give some direction on what to order.

A quick note on the larger sizes of primary capacitor:

Some are 5-pin and can be used if the fifth pin is snipped off, it is purely a mechanical support pin and is not used as an electrical connection. Also, some are 25mm LS but they will work with a gentle re-alignment of the pins to fit the boards 22.5mm LS.

I know this because my boards have some 5-pin 25mm LS capacitors on them; Mouser listed them as 4-pin 22.5mm LS, so that is what I ordered without confirming the description against the manufacturers data sheet.

Attachments

• CM PSU BOM.pdf
    18.3 KB · Views: 505