Single Ended Tokin SIT THF-51S Common Drain Mu Follower Amplifier, 45W?

I am nearly done pulling together what I want for this build. I'm going to do a dual mono power supply with a single Antek AN-10450 transformer in one chassis. The 5U/500mm chassis will hopefully be big enough to allow passive cooling but if not I'll stick a couple of fans outside or under it. I believe I have all the parts in my cart on Mouser or already ordered from DigiKey.

The last piece is actually sourcing the PCB's. Much gratitude to Ben for providing the design and the Gerbers. I'm sure ordering the boards isn't that complicated but I would like to piggy back onto somebody else's order since I have never done that before and would prefer not to have to learn how to do it now. So if you are ordering the PCB's for the amp and power supply boards I would be happy to pay for a significant amount of the cost. My sense is there isn't much difference in price for one set vs multiple sets of boards but maybe I'm wrong. Please contact me if you are interested. I am in the US.

All the UMS heatsink seems to be tapped with M3, see pics.

Attachments

• 7261BB82-D584-4731-A0F1-8A9C4BF1B6CD.png
    7261BB82-D584-4731-A0F1-8A9C4BF1B6CD.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 59
Joined 2012
Paid Member
No fancy control circuit. I built a simple LM317 regulated supply with a trimmer pot to adjust the voltage, all on a piece of perf board. The raw DC is provided by a winding on the Antek transformer and a bridge rectifier. The PS board can be seen on the bottom of the chassis.

The fans are on with the amplifier, and they run at a reduced voltage.

Attachments

• THF-51S MuFo Fokin Fan PS.JPG
    THF-51S MuFo Fokin Fan PS.JPG
    334.8 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: 1 user
I use Noctua NF-P12 Redux fans and they are very quiet, and even quieter when run at reduced voltage:

Very Quiet Noctua Fan
Another great suggestion. I bought one of those NF-P12 fans just to see how it might work and it came today. It is unbelievably quiet. It is so quiet that I can barely hear it with my ear right next to the fan. Assuming it doesn't start squeaking with time there is no sonic reason to be afraid of using one in a build that needs active cooling. Kudos.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
My fans have run for three winters of use so far, and this is fourth winter of use. So far they are still quiet. Since they run at low rpm (mine run at reduced voltage so less than 900 rpm), they should last a long time.

On another note, I still have the amps running at 2.5A and enjoying the sound. The distortion is a bit higher at maximum power but that is not an issue for me as the amps probably coast along at less than 1W output most if not all of the time in my system. The lower Iq probably would suit most people too. It is definitely an option if heat management is an issue.