Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

Terry,After last modification, my board looks like bombarded but is absolutely functionable.
I can post some photos tomorrow.

Hi Thimios,

I have been chasing my tail all day with this new modded CFA. Checked everything I can think of. I had matched hFe on all transistors except for Q3/4 and Q7/10. I have about a .5V offset. I was able to dial it out with the pots but it took a lot of adjustment after which the bias on the VAS seems quite high. Square waves look good and it plays music but there is something still not right. I'm posting a schematic with voltages in hopes that another set of eyes might help find the issue. Your success have given me hope so I have not given up.q I did change out Q3/4 with hfe matched devices with no change.

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• Mod BV foil side.jpg
    Mod BV foil side.jpg
    622.3 KB · Views: 743
  • Mod BV top.jpg
    Mod BV top.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 618
  • CFA_XH mod BV 6-08 pm.jpg
    CFA_XH mod BV 6-08 pm.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 613
Last edited:
Something wrong just at input. Voltage at Q1,Q23 base +0,526, voltage at Q2 emitor -1,111, so Ube Q2 is 1,63V- faulty Q2
R14 current shold be about 1,8mA (40V/22k), but voltage at emitor Q1 is 50mV , so Q1 must by closed-shorted C7, C14?? And voltage difference across R28, R27 is 0V, so no VAS current?

Last edited:
OK , some mods "bring something to the table" (some do not).

(in reference to BELOW)

C7/C8 +R8 = the major part of the PSRR gain. (OPS R114/115 @ 10R adds 3db)

CM1/2 fed back to Q1/2 emitters = 1/4 thd , THD stays <10ppm right
up to clipping - Dual MIC is gut :) .

Extra resistors (R13/14) , if too high ... reduce the CCS's ability to trim
the offset - 2.2k seems to work well (no THD rise).

Original 12-15V zener low voltage CCS's add a whole 6db PSRR (I added them
again) ... also no THD rise. Edit- red led Vf stays much more constant w/ a regulated supply.

I raised the gain of the hawksford/CM to push me into single digit PPM (R15/16- 20/21) ... CLG rise.
Could see no benefit to resistors between input pair and Hawksford/CM (10K's) ????

So , I now have 8-10ppm at high levels , clips good , awesome pssr ...
and it is only 2 cut traces from the original. It also offsets like the original ,
CCS trimmers are very responsive (10-20R = many 10's of mv offset).
Slew is master (...ful - 220V/us+) :cool:
Had a lot of trouble even getting the full modded sim to mv level.

Feel free to mod either way - this would be my way. :rolleyes:

OS

Attachments

• cfa-xh-os.jpg
    cfa-xh-os.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
OK , some mods "bring something to the table" (some do not).

(in reference to BELOW)

CM1/2 fed back to Q1/2 emitters = 1/4 thd , THD stays <10ppm right
up to clipping - Dual MIC is gut :) .

Extra resistors (R13/14) , if too high ... reduce the CCS's ability to trim
the offset - 2.2k seems to work well (no THD rise).

Original 12-15V zener low voltage CCS's add a whole 6db PSRR (I added them
again) ... also no THD rise. Edit- red led Vf stays much more constant w/ a regulated supply.

I raised the gain of the hawksford/CM to push me into single digit PPM (R15/16- 20/21) ... CLG rise.
Could see no benefit to resistors between input pair and Hawksford/CM (10K's) ????

So , I now have 8-10ppm at high levels , clips good , awesome pssr ...
and it is only 2 cut traces from the original. It also offsets like the original ,
CCS trimmers are very responsive (10-20R = many 10's of mv offset).
Slew is master (...ful - 220V/us+) :cool:
Had a lot of trouble even getting the full modded sim to mv level.

Feel free to mod either way - this would be my way. :rolleyes:

OS

I can't see these R114-115

Something wrong just at input. Voltage at Q1,Q23 base +0,526, voltage at Q2 emitor -1,111, so Ube Q2 is 1,63V- faulty Q2
R14 current shold be about 1,8mA (40V/22k), but voltage at emitor Q1 is 50mV , so Q1 must by closed-shorted C7, C14?? And voltage difference across R28, R27 is 0V, so no VAS current?
Hi BV,
You made me curious about Q1 & Q2 so I just went out and measured them Both have .578 vbe so I think they are ok. It is 11:20PM here so I am done for the day. I will take new measurements in the morning. When I took those measurement above the IPS was not attached to the OPS. It is now and I just checked a few things and noticed that the - rail is pulled down to something like -64V while the + rail is at +70V. Pot R5 has been adjusted to make the output 0 and I believe that is what is pulling the -rail low. Should I take measurements with the output at nil or should I take them with the pots equalized? I will also measure the vbe of each transistor and get the ma of each resistor.

Thanks, Terry

Hi Thimios,

I have been chasing my tail all day with this new modded CFA. Checked everything I can think of. I had matched hFe on all transistors except for Q3/4 and Q7/10. I have about a .5V offset. I was able to dial it out with the pots but it took a lot of adjustment after which the bias on the VAS seems quite high. Square waves look good and it plays music but there is something still not right. I'm posting a schematic with voltages in hopes that another set of eyes might help find the issue. Your success have given me hope so I have not given up.q I did change out Q3/4 with hfe matched devices with no change.

Blessings, Terry
Terry did you try adjusting the trimers in the opposite rotation each other for offset adjustment?

Last edited:
saturation ....

Yes , short pulses of 8-10ma on Q1/2 -6/9.
An analogy would be the beta enhancer on the "blameless" , 220R is enough
to mitigate this ...
But the cascode still clips nicely.
Those pulses won't exceed Ic/soa for the ksa/c's.

PS - if they are going to "overuse" this amp , solder in a ksc2690/ksa1220
pair for input , easier than adding additional components .

Keep it simple , too many parts "slows things down" . (figure that out).
I DID find out why there is "no free lunch" ( reduced slew).

OS

2 Terry
Q1,Q2 base voltage is +0,526 or -0,526 (refrenced to ground) ?
2 ostripper

Yes I know the math shows that. One of the problems of just measuring voltages. Touching the probe will at times cause voltage to move around a little. Tonight I measured across b-e and it was .578 on each. I will make a more sensible schematic tomorrow.

OS, I see minimum of 4 trace cuts. See attached.

Attachments

• CFA-XH OS Mod.jpg
    CFA-XH OS Mod.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 525
Last edited: