Speaker Protection Board

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Andrew, again!

My amp has a common 0.
So what I did is as you advised.
Plus and minus of one channel. AC detect from that same channel and the null.
And gess what? The thing works perfectly!
Thanks for your help, regards,
Ed
PS: I can read a book with the light of the Led! Hahaha.
ed - just a thought - what is your supply voltage and what is the value of the resistor in series with the LED?

If you want to go for a new version ,here is what NAD publiced as replacement because to upc1237 end production.

Attachments

• 8BD10667-829C-4B8F-9EE8-C3FD725A7C05.jpeg
    8BD10667-829C-4B8F-9EE8-C3FD725A7C05.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 300
Reactions: 1 user
I have bought upc1237 from a number of eBay sources, all of them selling working parts. I test everyone in one of my PS designs. I have yet to find one bad part. Opinions are not necessarily facts or proof! Not to say that for other parts you maybe correct. Name one source selling fake upc1237?

Last edited:
I have bought upc1237 from a number of eBay sources, all of them selling working parts. I test everyone in one of my PS designs. I have yet to find one bad part. Opinions are not necessarily facts or proof! Not to say that for other parts you maybe correct. Name one source selling fake upc1237?
I don't know any who sell fake upc1237 because I haven't bought any, but I have bought many other fake parts.As for the upc1237 available at eBay i'm very disappointed from all those who write.... manufacture unbranded.
I can't see any you write..manufacture Unisonic.
Easy my friend,I haven't something against you☮️

Last edited:
Nothing personal but if we find a genuine bogus supplier it would be nice to let everyone know who/what, instead of thinking everything on eBay is bogus.
I was sceptical too before I committed to using the uPC1237HA part in a new design. I even sourced some original OEM parts that I assume are mfg by Renesas (they merged with NEC Electronics in 2010) so I have some to compare against.
There is no mfg identification on the Renesas parts either, although you can tell its another package molding/stamping variation, vs the unbranded UTC parts I've been using.
☮️

""About this item
Condition
New
Time left
11h 11m
Quantity
85 sold
50 available
Item Number
Brand
Unbranded/Generic""
I don't mean what is on the chip written but what seller say.
I see also two different package still out there.
That's why I'm sceptical.
If someone can post a clear image of a Unisonic(UTC) 1237 we would have something to compare.

Last edited:
Bottom line, dealing with non-authorized Asian eBay sellers of any semi's is risky.
From experience, on the uPC1237HA part, some sellers show the pic of the bigger UTC part and a some show the pic of the smaller NEC/Renesas part, although they only deliver the UTC part.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Unisonic is a pretty bona-fide semi supplier. There are lots of successful small niche semi companies like this in Taiwan (I lived there for 3.5 yrs) and they are pretty capable and technically good. The problem is they mostly sell through 2nd tier distributors in Asia and not any of the mainstream ones we are familiar with here in the West.

Reactions: 1 user
I also have an aversion to buying silicon off the bay, not worth the risk, and didn't see any reputable site selling 1 off examples. Maybe @Bonsai consider buying 1000 (or whatever) from a reliable source and include them with the PCB's. I'm happy to try the boards (4 of?) since the relay variant takes up a bit of space and I have questions about the relay contact material being on the cheap side, yeah, made in China...