Stereolith Loudspeakers Question

Wonder why the introduction of the center tweeter took place? Especially now in the light of gained knowledge as it has been found to suck.

Earlier models propably had side tweeters?

And, is it beneficial to tilt the side firing elements upwards and why later models had them straight?

The evolution of an innovation - stereolith.com

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

- Elias

I had it set up in two different rooms. One 4.50m x 10m x 2.50m with damped front wall, the other 3.80 x 4.10 x 2.50m, undamped. The small room sounded awful. Damping the room helped a lot although the virtual sound stage doesn't really "open up". Maybe the reflections arrive too early (first side wall reflection is 6.7ms).

How did a normal stereo sound in the small room before damping? Awfull also?

- Elias

Wonder why the introduction of the center tweeter took place? Especially now in the light of gained knowledge as it has been found to suck.

That was probably the best trade-off for getting the tonality right.

And, is it beneficial to tilt the side firing elements upwards and why later models had them straight?

I tried that but it somewhat reduced spaciousness.

Don't be so severe with the classic stereo systems, some of them really image greatly with the proper setup in the proper room, could it be for one narrow sweet spot only.

It's not only omni radiators, I know at least a mega horn system that creates the complete illusion and in my list of flawed DIY designs, I did by miracle a good one: small, 2 ways TQWT bio shape and in plaster.

Don't be so severe with the classic stereo systems, some of them really image greatly with the proper setup in the proper room, could it be for one narrow sweet spot only.

It's not only omni radiators, I know at least a mega horn system that creates the complete illusion and in my list of flawed DIY designs, I did by miracle a good one: small, 2 ways TQWT bio shape and in plaster.

I don't have a problem with classic stereo setups. :)

Sure somethings are incorrect with respect to our hearing, but you can still get rather good sound. To a degree you can achieve a significant reduction in problem reflections simply by moving them away from walls - side walls particularly. 500 Hz, generally the lower limit of ILD emphasis, isn't exactly a long wavelength - even if you double that distance it's less than 5 feet.

Also moving yourself closer to the loudspeakers helps as well (and generally moving them closer together with a less traditional "toe-out").

You say mega horn, I see...

Can You tell us how many and which exactly classic stereo systems that You was fortunate to know and to listen to performed on a par with Your latest panastereolithic system?

How much did they cost? What were the requirements for a proper room for them? Acoustic treatments needed? How costly?

Was it really 180 degrees and so on?

regards,
graaf

Last edited:
Time for some measurements. Stereolith, right midwoofer (plus port) only, 2m mic distance, 0°-360°

Nice, but it's raising questions!
Are you stepping 30° or 20°? Is 0° the speaker axis? Did you rotate the Stereolith or the mic?

Just 5 dB difference between 0° and 360° at 3 kHz is much less than I would expect for a "midwoofer" under nearfield conditions. Since you have no issues with generating nice graphics :), I really would appreciate some sort of floor plan illustrating where and how you were measuring.

Thanks in advance
Rudolf

Nice, but it's raising questions!
Are you stepping 30° or 20°? Is 0° the speaker axis? Did you rotate the Stereolith or the mic?

Just 5 dB difference between 0° and 360° at 3 kHz is much less than I would expect for a "midwoofer" under nearfield conditions. Since you have no issues with generating nice graphics :), I really would appreciate some sort of floor plan illustrating where and how you were measuring.

Thanks in advance
Rudolf

Hi Rudolf,

I'm rotating a Basotect block with the speaker sitting on top of it from 0°-360° (0° is speaker axis) in 22.5° steps:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Wow, the stereolith drivers are quite good...We can suppose it's the same radiation to the top.
Is it almost omni ??? or ungated measurement ???

@ graaf : that's a difficult question, as normal man only can remember the emotion and the semantic conclusions after listening a system, and not a record of it's performance.

But I've been listening many times some big systems with my own test discs, knowing what to track. Some of these speakers are really deceiving, but some are really great. My best reference for imaging (and maybe more) is not original : the mbl 101 in a >50 m² room, beveridge disposition and half a ton of amplifiers, dac, transport, cables...the listener is not in front of the music, he's inside. And for a supposed maxi SPL of 103 dB, it's more than impressive.

For sure my system is cheaper, but I must be biased to it, so it's risky to make comments either for honesty or for my ego.

Thanks Markus,

I superimposed both diagrams graphically. They are identical within +/-1dB in general. I can't follow all lines separately because they are so dense.

When I look up the measured nearfield polars of some 13 cm Visaton drivers, they all are >10 db off at 4 kHz and 90° already. That makes me believe that your measurements are including some reflections already. Could you tell us, what gating time was applied? And what reflections would be included.

Thanks again
Rudolf

Hi,

Those measurements include front wall and maybe side wall reflections too. They represent the approximation of 'power response'.

How did you disable the tweeter? Without opening the box? :D

- Elias

The impuls response is gated at 3,21ms which is the reflection free time frame. The speaker terminal looks like this:

@ graaf : that's a difficult question, as normal man only can remember the emotion and the semantic conclusions after listening a system, and not a record of it's performance.

I am not asking for anything else but exactly those semantic conclusions after listening

My best reference for imaging (and maybe more) is not original : the mbl 101 in a >50 m² room, beveridge disposition

sorry but this is not an aswer to my question, because the system You described is nowhere near classic stereo system

nor Beveridge disposition is a classic stereo triangle neither 101 are classic stereo speakers

that system is much closer to my flooder concept - omni in a sidewall placement

I can believe You that it was that good but it is nowhere near classic stereo, wouldn't You agree?

For sure my system is cheaper, but I must be biased to it, so it's risky to make comments either for honesty or for my ego.

c'mon! making such comments is audiophile bread and butter
it is 99% of all audiophile forums, this one included
nothing wrong with that, feel totally free to make such comments :D

bias is a question of expectations and sentiments, don't hide behind this bias argument
I know that You are not biased in that particular way :D