TABAQ TL for Tangband

Hello Christof,

your driver is very much like the 1320 I now use in my TABAQ, and it will work fine - including the filter.

If you find the bass too tight, you could reduce the damping by one third. However, I do preffer the neutral and celan bass. When listen to music, I do not use my sub.

Please note that the filter is balancing the sound, it is not a drmatic effect. I am sure you would not use the spekaers without the filter, if you test the result with and without the filter.

Hi from
Bjorn

Hello Christof,

your driver is very much like the 1320 I now use in my TABAQ, and it will work fine - including the filter.

If you find the bass too tight, you could reduce the damping by one third. However, I do preffer the neutral and celan bass. When listen to music, I do not use my sub.

Please note that the filter is balancing the sound, it is not a drmatic effect. I am sure you would not use the spekaers without the filter, if you test the result with and without the filter.

Hi from
Bjorn

Thank you, Bjorn!

Today I plugged in my Tabaqs with Faital 3fe22. Driving them with one Hypex as2.100d plate amp, they make some sweet sound as long as I don't push them to hard. The lows are there but a sub or two as in this case make things really sweet on some albums!
But on some recordings/and music genres I miss the dynamics larger drivers provide.
Will have to wait a little and give them some more brake in time before I decide if they are keepers or not.
My previous speakers where 2 ways with JBL pro drivers and thats prbably why I miss the dynamics since the jbl set-up spoiled me with explosive and powerfull dynamics..... so obviusly not a fair camparison to ask 3" to do the same.

Listned so far to:
Jan Johansson, Album: Jazz på Ryska. Piano Jazz - absolutly stunning!

Tool, Albums: Lateralus, 10000 days. Listneble but not very enjoyable, lacking dynamics in the lower midrange.

Neil Young, album Weld. Nice on low volumes, missing some body in the lower midrange.

These impressions are with dual subs (12" drivers), without the subs all music except for the piano jazz did sound a bit thin.

Will get back after they broken in properly.

The upper mids and highs these drivers produce is very good. Would make a killer two way crossed over at around 300 - 500 hz.

What's the effect of less stuffing vs. more stuffing, what will it do to the sound?

Last edited:
this was my finding with the tangband W3 1285SG, and its not due to the Tabac (I havent built one).

A 2 inch driver isnt REALLY capable of bass, but a 3 inch driver can, with limits. Id agree that they do make excellent satellites with a a helper woofer to do the real bass.

Not FAST, and certainly not 'new' but searching for it will liberate many threads of such builds which are worth reading however. I hate the 'name for anything' diy semi pro blurb that is prevalent here.

I designed a few nice boxes, but cant face having to name them (gregatronic TL was a joke) maybe 'Audiogasm A1 Cream Edition' wouldve got me some more respect ;)

Tabac does, by all accounts do good things with these small drivers, and i understand where the name came from ;)

but, theyre never going to compare well to a 12 fullrange or woofer for scale

Last edited:
Mondogenerator:
Sorry, I missunderstod you. I get your point, 2-way speakers have been around a while a new name (FAST) isn't needed for it. I agree!

Still listening to them and been "playing" with the DSP/EQ on my amp and it all sound alot better at this moment then earlier today.
I tend to listen to lighter and less complex music genres att night time not to disturb my GF and hey are great for low level (night time) listening with this type of music.
I do not want to hook up my other speakers, afraid I will miss the sweet sweet midrange that the Faitel 3fe22 drivers delivers.

Hi Pepe

TABAQ (TAng BAnd Quarterwave) is heavily stuffet to avoid uneven peaks in the upper bass. The volume for a 3" driver is large to extend the bass contribution from the opening - thamed by the stuffing which also even out the frequency response in general.

With my 4" TABAQ, the bass is tight (as I like it) but goes low enough. I tried to remove one third of the stuffing, and it sounded more lively in the bass. But not the way I like it. Please try it out and see what you like.

Please note that the goal when I did the design was to create a simple construction with a good price / performance. With the 3" TB I think you get value for money - but of course no party speaker :)

Hi from
Bjorn

Hi Bjorn,
I've almost completed veneering my folded TABAQs w/ the bamboo 4" TBs (I posted photos of the completed cabs in Aug). I know it has taken me longer than expected, but next week I should be posting photos of the completed project veneered in South American rosewood!
Regards,
Mario

Thank you Bjorn for explaining what different amount/density of stuffing will do to the TABAQs. Just picked up a pair of QUAD esl 57 with renovated panels today, been wanting to own a pair of esl 57's for a long time, finaly got a pair!
The TABAQs will have some tough competition from now on.
They might get a new task assignment, tabaqs for the computer..... might go for folded ones!

Thank you Bjorn for sharing the plans for the TABAQs and also for your recomendations of drivers and stuffing etc.... Very generous!

Last edited:
I finally finished the folded TABAQs with rosewood veneer. They sound much better than I had expected as the TL really brings out the low end. Imaging is very impressive as well.

The drivers, with about 120hrs on them, are TangBand W4-1320SJ's driven by a FirstWatt F1....quite a nice match providing forward, bass-full sonics right on top of the beat. I haven't put in any baffle step circuits and probably won't anytime soon. Thanks again Bjorn for this creative twist on a TL cabinet.

Regards,
Mario

Attachments

• PA260147.JPG
    PA260147.JPG
    436 KB · Views: 940
  • PA260156.jpg
    PA260156.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 910
  • PA260160.jpg
    PA260160.jpg
    666.4 KB · Views: 875
  • PA260169.JPG
    PA260169.JPG
    422.2 KB · Views: 862
I finally finished the folded TABAQs with rosewood veneer. They sound much better than I had expected as the TL really brings out the low end. Imaging is very impressive as well.

The drivers, with about 120hrs on them, are TangBand W4-1320SJ's driven by a FirstWatt F1....quite a nice match providing forward, bass-full sonics right on top of the beat. I haven't put in any baffle step circuits and probably won't anytime soon. Thanks again Bjorn for this creative twist on a TL cabinet.

Regards,
Mario

Fantastic!!! I love rosewood. This design really puts out a scary amount. My Dayton ND105 garage beaters sound like they are backed up with a 10" subwoofer. They are the ONLY speakers I have ever heard in that garage that have good bass response, usually it sucks the life out of everything.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
TABAQ QUBE Design

I have been looking for a way to make the TABAQ even more compact. Using the design rules of keeping the cross-section the same, and the port area x length the same, can the TABAQ be folded into a 3-dimensional geometry like a cube ? Basically the design looks like qnty 8 by 4 in x 4 in cubes stacked to form a larger cube with internal baffles to make the total length equal to 8 cubes in U-U-U shaped arrangement that snakes through all 8 cubes. The driver would be placed at one corner (at the third cube from the closed end) and the port would be at the terminus corner, or 8th cube. The overall design would be very compact only about 9.5 in x 9.5 in x 9.5 in using 0.5 in thick MDF. The design would also use very little lumber, one could even buy shelving lumber which comes in approximately 0.5 in thick x 10 in wide x 8 ft long. Each 8 ft long board would have enough material for 2 complete speakers and now only required a handsaw and miter box for the DIYers who do not have a table saw. I am thinking of going with a TB W3-315E. One note, the speakers will be asymmetric, so a L ans R will be different - that actually may look cool to some. Anyhow, can't wait to get the parts and lumber and start cracking on the TABAQ QUBE.