TABAQ TL for Tangband

(Asking which model and the T/S specs for his commercial version, after Bjorn was so nice to share this TABAQ design with us, is a little out of place, and has zero relevance in this discussion.)

I totally agree about asking about Bjorn's commericial version of this speaker. I seem to remember someone asking him the specific model of speaker used in the commericial design, and Bjorn, kindly explained that it was a trade secrect.

Mac :)

He "shared " his design in a paid article in Audio Express some years ago. I was just curious about the driver used in the updated version. Some may want to use it to upgrade their builds or in another design. If it is a proprietary driver, not available to the general market, I can understand the specifications being held secret, and until some one deconstructs a system and measures the driver, it will no doubt remain so.

Hi KLGIrd

Some of the design ideas in Kvart & Bølge was to find a driver with a Fs at max 100 Hz and a Qts in the 0.6 to 0.9 range.

Other ideas was to keep the front baffle af narrow as possible and to make the bottom with the bended opening heavy and make the enclosure in a parabolic shape.

We did a lot of simulation and testing of the stuffing, but ended up with the same density of the stuffing as the original TABAQ.

The driver is placed 5 cm closer to the closed end compared to the original TABAQ, and this is something I recommend to all TABAQ builders.

Hope this was of inspiration.

Bjørn

Reactions: 1 user
Bjorn:

Thanks for the reply. I want to congratulate you on the success of your product. It is a welcome addition to the audio marketplace and may even get some of the younger crowd to give up their earbuds.

I was not interested in stealing any secrets on the driver, just curious about how it may have differed from the original TB.

I have built a larger version of the TABQ using two four inch drivers, FS 80 Hz, Qts .9, and a small dome tweeter in a MTM configuration. I was able to enlarge the enclosure volume while keeping the basic performance values with somewhat deeper bass.

I enjoyed your interview article in Audio Express and will look forward to any further innovations you may want to share with us on the forum.

K.L. Bird

<snip>I have built a larger version of the TABQ using two four inch drivers, FS 80 Hz, Qts .9, and a small dome tweeter in a MTM configuration. I was able to enlarge the enclosure volume while keeping the basic performance values with somewhat deeper bass.<snip>
Hello, Mr. Bird:
I for one (and I'm sure there will be many more folks here) will be very interested to get more details about your TABAQ MTM. If you are so inclined to share, can you please post more details (pictures too :)) about your build?

would a dayton RS100-4 sound alright in a TABAQ BOX (http://www.coolcat.dk/bjoern/TABAQ BOX Cabinet Plan.pdf)? from what i gather, it would. this would be my first DIY speaker project -- i'm still trying to get a handle on everything i need.

since i live in a small apartment, i was planning on having the wood laser cut. good idea? is there a cheaper way?

There are many ways to go about the build. You can have it cut by a laser (CNC), can buy a 1/2" to 5/8" MDF or Plywood (preferably baltic birch) panel at Lowes/ACE/HD and give them a cut list, or have a cabinet maker do the enclosures.

RS100 in TABAQ

Hi theaspin

I have never heard the B80 but from the specs you are right. But it depends on how the B80 sound, which is not something your can be sure of from the data sheets.

I can tell you the RS100 is doing fine in TABAQ.

Hi
Bjørn

Merry X-Mas !

Attachments

• Dayton_RS100_Analysis.png
    Dayton_RS100_Analysis.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 938
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The B80 and RS100-4 were tested in the Subjective Blind series of threads. The RS100 is a great value and has the advantage of 4mm of xmax so will make more bass. However, the B80 is a completely different class of driver with very low distortion and excellent CSD. It also doesn't have the ringing of the metal cone on the RS100. Dayton makes a paper cone RS100P-4 that you can try. The B80 is perhaps one of the finest full range drivers currently available from a smooth frequency standpoint and very clean sound without ringing. I think it only has 2.5mm xmax.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don't know how the foam core is going to work with the sound pressure building inside the TABAQs to create that nice bass, but it is for sure an easy and rewarding build.

With proper bracing and use of curved shapes (like the commercial Tabaq), foam core can take quite a bit of pressure. The curved Kvart and Bolge design is very beautiful and organic, has no parallel walls for a good sound, plus it makes for an easy build with the score and fold technique as only one seam of glue needs to be applied at the closure along the back and two end caps.