TABAQ TL for Tangband

I've read this thread before, and plan to build, hopefully this spring. I plan to use the Dayton RS-100.

Just for my own information, has anyone used the Markaudio CHR-70 in one of these?

Just curious.

I've heard the Markaudio in a BVR a few years ago when they were relatively new and thought is sounded good.

Don't remember seeing any posting referring to them.

John

Yes, there are posts referring the use of CHR-70A.3 in TABAQ, but you will have to do a search, as I don't remember when or where in the thread is. As for the driver, I use it in a DIY bookshelf I built, and it is very nice sounding, I like how clear, open, detailed, and airy (highs) it is. I cannot comment on its bass capabilities, as I use it in a 2-Way system, and the lowest X-Over freq. I have tested is 600 Hz, and being in a OB configuration, according to modeling, it goes down to some 235Hz (don't remember well). It blends very well with the HiVi M5N woofer it is paired with. So, I would expect it to do very nicely in a TABAQ, though if I remember correctly, the enclosure was somewhat bigger.

You'll likely find the initial impact is on the midrange; as I mentioned, a heavy stuffing density in close proximity to the drive unit can mass-load the suspension & diaphragm under dynamic loads. Since all wideband moving coil drivers produce a large portion of their BW through resonance or flexing of the cone substrate (and any dustcap or secondary cone), a distortion of this and / or the suspension will affect the resonant profile. How much varies with driver & implementation, so there's no hard and fast rule other than to use common sense & avoid cramming stuffing very tightly around the driver. The TABAQ is evidently fine given how many of them are out there, so I'm mainly speaking in general terms -it's just a good practice / ROT to go a little easy in that region.
Thanks! Will try not to stuff too densely behind the drivers.

It's interesting that I have been using these speakers with 3 different 3116 amps (Sure unmodified, YZBD with OSCON power caps and a double chip with Panasonic FC powercaps. None of them seems to be able to drive them with any power. All 3 sound great there just isn't much volume without a pre-amp.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The basic gain on the 3116 is typically set at 26dB which is passable for moderate volumes from a cellphone but more volume needs a preamp (I often use headphone out from CD player). There are two resistors you can change around to boost it to 32db if you need more boost. The resistors set a voltage divider to generate a voltage that is read by the 3116's ADC "smart" brains on power up to set gain. Gain I fixed until next power on cycle.

The SMAKN amps seems to come standard with 32dB gain if that matters to you.

xrk971, you've employed a full 6dB of BSC and measured, I assume, far from boundaries--does it still sound good near a boundary?

520846d1450860139-tabaq-tl-tang-band-tabaq-p830986-build-4.png

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just wanted give folks a heads up that really small cheap inductors can work very well as a BSC for a small low power speaker like a Tabaq. Normally an air core 1mH inductor can cost upwards of $10 and are quite large. I tried these on a whim and it works great - listening to it now. These are very small and cost under $1 ea. Coupled with a 5w $0.50 power resistor you now have a very cost effective BSC. The max current on the inductor is probably 2 to 4 amps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EZ8DO0G?vs=1

Here is photo of the BSC in my Tabaq with two 0.5mH inductors in series and an 8.2R resistor.

524823d1452728991-tabaq-tl-tang-band-image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 2,171
Last edited:
I just wanted give folks a heads up that really small cheap inductors can work very well as a BSC for a small low power speaker like a Tabaq. Normally an air core 1mH inductor can cost upwards of $10 and are quite large. I tried these on a whim and it works great - listening to it now. These are very small and cost under $1 ea. Coupled with a 5w $0.50 power resistor you now have a very cost effective BSC. The max current on the inductor is probably 2 to 4 amps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EZ8DO0G?vs=1

Here is photo of the BSC in my Tabaq with two 0.5mH inductors in series and an 8.2R resistor.

524823d1452728991-tabaq-tl-tang-band-image.jpeg

Thanks for such advise! If it only where the same for Crossovers. Darn air cores, even some iron core, are getting more expensive all the time!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You can try this for xo's - a BSC is just a very simple high shelf filter that many people might use more expensive air cores. Just check the resistance and include in simulation for xo. Also check max saturation current. These little guys are not going to give 10amps - but for small sub 40 watt speakers and teeters it's probably fine. For woofers you will need to use larger inductors to handle the current - but even there you can save some money with ferrite core inductors. I don't think air cores are necessary for woofer low pass.

You can try this for xo's - a BSC is just a very simple high shelf filter that many people might use more expensive air cores. Just check the resistance and include in simulation for xo. Also check max saturation current. These little guys are not going to give 10amps - but for small sub 40 watt speakers and teeters it's probably fine. For woofers you will need to use larger inductors to handle the current - but even there you can save some money with ferrite core inductors. I don't think air cores are necessary for woofer low pass.

Thanks for the advise...Though not totally full range (Woofer + Full Range), I am running my DIY's with active Crossover. Want to build a passive 2nd Order LR, but using air core for the FR, iron core for the Woofer, and MKP caps for 520 Hz with freight is around $110.00 total, that's without getting fancy with BSC, L-Pad, Zobel, etc. That is why I like the simplicity of the TABAQ and single driver Full Range speakers in general.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
To be honest I am totally guessing on the amps and I may be way off. The rated amps may be no more than something like 800mA? These actual units I am using are salvaged from an old Dish Network RF switch box. It's part of the internal RF to DC power converter. I cracked the boxes open and found these coils and ran them through my LCR meter and it had the right inductance at 0.5mH and resistance was like 0.5ohm. The wire gauge is pretty thick at 20 gauge. The wire itself can probanly handle 4 amps easy but the L value may saturate much sooner.

But let's look at current requirement in a 3in 8ohm Tabaq with 12v rail amp. I=V/R and V=10v max. R=8ohm, Plus 1 ohm R of inductor. We get about 1.1A max current. I never turn amp volume to max clipping so half current of 550mA is probably fine. It sure sounds fine - deep impactful bass, clear mids and highs. I should record sound clip for you guys to hear.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

These are rated 0.4A and they look smaller than mine.

Online Shop 0810-I-inductance 1MH 8*10 0.4A SMD Power Inductors|Aliexpress Mobile

Main thing I am saying is that try cheap inductors for a BSC - you may find that they work OK and save money. I don't think that I am hearing $9 more sound quality in my big Jantzen air core BSC. Seriously - I don't. For $0.04 each or whatever Aliexpress is charging for them - you could probably make a series parallel inductor array of you needed more current with these cheapies.

Last edited:
Alright, widening the search then...

How about this?
Looks promising maybe...

INDUCTOR, 1MH, 10%, 0.65A, SMD
Product Range:AEC-Q200 SDR1307 Series
Inductance:1mH
Inductance Tolerance:? 10%
Inductor Construction:Unshielded
DC Resistance Max:1.6ohm
RMS Current (Irms):650mA
Saturation Current (Isat):1A